eric trax

[MOC] Challenger MT865C & Kinze 1050

Finally, after a hard fight during assembly and a strong decision to change the my presentations look !

40649082255_72ee1156fe_b.jpgChallenger MT 865C + Kinze 1050 (1) by Michał Skorupka (Eric Trax), on Flickr

CAT Challenger 865C

Challenger's story began 25 years ago. They were the first and remain the only tractor designed and constructed especially for working on caterpillars. The Model 700 combines traction with low ground pressure, which ensures the highest performance and simultaneous soil protection. The 800 series tractors from the technical assumption correspond to their smaller counterparts, however, they are larger and heavier machines with a maximum power of 646 hp.

9486_Cat_Challenger_MT865C_at-work.jpg

Drive and steering:

As I wrote earlier, the model is driven and controlled by a sub-tractor consisting of two different types of old type. The XL motor is responsible for the drive, while the M motor for turning it. This solution considerably simplifies the maneuvering of the vehicle, although it requires a lot of attention, especially when reversing. The model is controlled by SBrick and PS4 pad.

Caterpillars:

I decided to put a separate paragraph. One tape consists of 214 elements and the whole caterpillar has 617. As you can guess, it is a lot of blocks. Why did not I use ordinary caterpillars since mine still have 5 studs? Look. The original belts with the tread are thick at almost a stud. The original lego links do not resemble their appearance and are too thin. The whole suspension is based on dishes wrapped with lego chains. This is another procedure that was supposed to add a maximum of realism and be as technically efficient as possible. On the inside I put on the elastics to limit the slippage of the rear drive wheels. In addition, each tension belt is the hardest spring of small Lego shock absorbers. We managed to push the suspension on the cradles, which, however, has limited room for maneuver and shock-absorbed rear axles. Each of them is completely autonomous and can even operate unbuckled from the tractor. It is possible to change their spacing without interfering with the tractor's construction. Maybe it will sound strange but I am really proud of them and in my opinion they could appear as a separate MOC.

41542305421_029462652d_b.jpgChallenger MT 865C caterpillars by Michał Skorupka (Eric Trax), on Flickr

Additional functions

One of the assumptions was to equip the tractor with a pneumatic system that was to eventually control the swivel plow. The idea was successfully implemented and packed under the hood. Compressor with two pumps driven by L engine and servo pneumatic valve. The whole is very efficient and works without the slightest objections. In addition, a power take-off shaft operating while driving, driven from a sub-tractor and a three-point suspension system lifted by a small linear actuator and M engine

Kinze 1050 Grain Cart

It is a very large Grain Cart that has a width of 3700 mm. So, outside of the USA and Canada, these trailers do not meet. Their use to collect the grain accumulated in the combine without stopping it, deliver and unload it onto a truck. Scaling the model I reduced its size using a ratio of 1:18 compared to the original. The trailer is available in three versions of the chassis. On tracks, on Softred wheels (balloons with limited pressure on the ground), Rowcrop (twin wheels). The natural choice would be the tracks but I wanted to use the tires from Claas. I also experimented with Power Puller tires, unfortunately the tractor did not want to move the trailer from the place, although it looked wonderful. The construction itself is not too complicated. In the middle there is an auger driven by the M engine and a unloading auger which is ready to work by large pneumatic cylinder. It works well, however, due to the angle of 180 degrees. With so few mechanisms, I focused on the appearance. Adding all additional equipment available in this model.

challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_1.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_2.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_3.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_4.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_5.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_6.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_7.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_kinze_1050_8.jpg_thum challenger_mt_865c_1.jpg_thumb.jpg challenger_mt_865c_2.jpg_thumb.jpg challenger_mt_865c_3.jpg_thumb.jpg challenger_mt_865c_4.jpg_thumb.jpg challenger_mt_865c_5.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_1.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_2.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_3.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_4.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_5.jpg_thumb.jpg kinze_1050_6.jpg_thumb.jpg challenger_mt_865c_caterpillars.jpg_thum 

Video:

Congratulations to people who have read this entire description.

Edited by eric trax

Jaw dropping as always! If it was not for the wheel of the trailer I would not have guessed this is Lego. My compliments for another fabulous creation ...

Another incredible build! The tractor is very smooth, the lines are excellent! Hard to tell that it's Lego... :thumbup:

I did read the whole description! How much are the Claas tires stretched to fit the Power Puller wheels?

Thank you for the positive response. I am glad that you like the model :)

On 4/21/2018 at 6:26 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

How much are the Claas tires stretched to fit the Power Puller wheels?

The physical sizes are not much bigger. However, there is a big difference in appearance. On the PP rim, the tire seems wider and more massive than on the Xerion rim. I took pictures for comparison

20180422_165151.jpg

20180422_165144.jpg

18 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Absolute stunning work again Eric.

Love all the details on the tractor and trailer.:wub:

@Edwin Korstanje I watched your ships and I also wanted to have a lot of barriers hahahah :D

Edited by eric trax

seriously great build :thumbup:

Can I ask how you got the black rigid hose (if that's what you used) to stay in shape for the hand rails? (hard 90 degree with no support) It seems like it may be a neat trick to use. Thank you.

This is really really good and there's no need to explain the use of your own caterpillars. I mean I never would because I can't be bothered. I am more concerned for the vehicle bodywork. Your caterpillars work very well and look  awesome. But the whole thing and the trailer are marvelous. I can't stop looking at al the details. The trailer looks like the real thing. 

14 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Can I ask how you got the black rigid hose (if that's what you used) to stay in shape for the hand rails? (hard 90 degree with no support) It seems like it may be a neat trick to use. Thank you.

@MangaNOID The hose is heated with a lighter in the place where it is to be bent. Gives it a shape by hand and keep it until it cools down. You have to be careful because when the snake overheats, the bend is very ugly.

15 hours ago, Milan said:

@eric trax, wow, you are on the Frontpage! :laugh:

WOW THANKS!

15 hours ago, Milan said:

Better resize those photos that are over 1024! :wink:

Ok no problem :)

On 4/30/2018 at 9:32 PM, Dafgek81 said:

@eric trax do you have, or planning on making instructions for the Challenger?????

@Dafgek81 Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to create instructions for my models :(

Edited by eric trax

@eric trax unfortunately always the same story, when I see a good MOC, there are no instructions.

I am more of a collector then a MOC builder, so I need instructions to rebuild these beauiful builds.

Green is better color. 

Overall, just impressive work! Superb job!

Thats bigger than mini fig scale isn't it?

IMG_0980.JPG

Edited by ISDAvenger