pagicence

[MOC] Challenger MT800E tracked tractor

I love tractors - you've really captured the look of the real thing. Great to see tractor mocs. Must get mine posted.. never seem to have time!

Love this moc though!

It looks really good, but what is with the wormgear in the back? That will loosen itself when you turn the wrong direction I would think... It needs bracing at both ends.

Just now, Jeroen Ottens said:

It looks really good, but what is with the wormgear in the back? That will loosen itself when you turn the wrong direction I would think... It needs bracing at both ends.

I think it needs a 5L with stop.

Yeah, that floating worm gear will not work. Even with an axle with stop, it will work itself off, or skip at the slightest provocation.

Great looking moc, very nice! but before putting all that effort into PDF instructions you may want to fix unavailable colours in the build. It might discourage people to build it. If you want I'll do it for you. I think my colour/part knowledge should be good enough to make it buidable for anyone.

Looks nice :thumbup:, specially yellow (original) version. Sadly we have no bigger spocket wheels :sad:

First of all, thank you for the input guys.

@Jeroen Ottens, @Aventador2004, @Saberwing40k: That was the only way to put it because of the lack of space. I imagined that it will stay in place because there are not to many forces there to deal with. Now, I don't know how to brace it without changing anything significantly. Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas?

@LvdH: Thank you for the offer, but I have already checked every color/part that I used manually on BrickLink and I put those into the LXF file. And there are no color errors on Rebrickable parts list. The renderings were done before all of that, so that's why it appears to be a few mistakes. There are a few rare colors though. But I'm interested to hear what did you have in mind?

Any suggestions on the software for PDF instructions? I was planning on using Blueprint.

Edited by pagicence

Rear wheel will not work..

2 hours ago, pagicence said:

First of all, thank you for the input guys.

@Jeroen Ottens, @Aventador2004, @Saberwing40k: That was the only way to put it because of the lack of space. I imagined that it will stay in place because there are not to many forces there to deal with. Now, I don't know how to brace it without changing anything significantly. Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas?

@LvdH: Thank you for the offer, but I have already checked every color/part that I used manually on BrickLink and I put those into the LXF file. And there are no color errors on Rebrickable parts list. The renderings were done before all of that, so that's why it appears to be a few mistakes. There are a few rare colors though. But I'm interested to hear what did you have in mind?

Any suggestions on the software for PDF instructions? I was planning on using Blueprint.

Hello,

SR3Dbuilder and Lpub3D will make a perfect PDF instruction.

UPDATE 1

I managed to secure the white worm gear with little modifications, so that it will stay in place and it won't fall off. And now, it looks like this:

800x600.jpg

Edited by pagicence

Isn't the angle of that U joint too sharp? I thought the max angle was 45 degrees.

5 hours ago, LvdH said:

Isn't the angle of that U joint too sharp? I thought the max angle was 45 degrees.

The joint is fine, it might be a bit jerky though. Universal joints have a wide range of movement.

Which software did you use to make the instructions? I kinda want to make some too in the future.

I only have enough parts to make one set of wheels for your MOC, and I'm afraid you will have to work a bit more on this.

Putting that pin with pinhole into that rim, is VERY difficult (unless you're me), and so I would call this an illegal technique.

d88df7dbeb.png

The red 2L axles that I've highlighted will fall out on their own, I replaced them with 1½L pins, however this is rather flimsy

5e202c36ca.png

The connection of the two parts with mickey mouse elements is very weak

8c2c49f8f8.gif

The bevel gears do not mesh together properly, as the construction is far from sturdy enough. Furthermore, it is impossible to connect ½ a bevel with another in a straight line.

Even with two ½ bevel gears it's still far from reliable

92bc9ea46e.gif

e878e42300.png

And even if it was sturdy enough and held together very well, it wouldn't matter anyway as the sprocket gear just slips on the threads

c5f52efccd.gif

The only positive thing is that the thread is being held in place properly and doesn't fall off. It is rather jerky though, you will need a very solid drivetrain to drive these.

a0904ffb04.gif

So yeah, I have not built any more, as I suspect you might want to fix this first, besides I only have enough parts for just one set of wheels.

Good luck!

@Carsten Svendsen: Thank you for trying. I used Blueprint, there is a description of it here:

Well this sort of things happen when you can't test the things that you are building, when you only have LDD. I'm not planning of doing anything to it further, it was a hassle to build it in the first place. If anyone wants to improve it... be my guest.

@eric trax: Have you read what Carsten wrote? Anyway I saw your Challenger 2 days ago on youtube and I've noticed that we've published our MOCs the same day. 2 different approaches, but yours actually works.

Edited by pagicence

19 hours ago, pagicence said:

@eric trax: Have you read what Carsten wrote? Anyway I saw your Challenger 2 days ago on youtube and I've noticed that we've published our MOCs the same day. 2 different approaches, but yours actually works.

@pagicence Of course I read. I mean, the idea is good. Technical problems can always be fixed. Such a charm of virtual building :)

@pagicence did you fix the bugs in the drivetrain like Carsten said?

I have downloaded the instructions and started collecting the parts, think I have about 60% of them. But it would be a let down if it will not work when I build it.

@Dafgek81 No, I didn't. I haven't thought about how to fix them. It's clear that it needs more work. Even if I knew how to brace the gears (and I don't), I have no idea how to fix the track slippage on the bottom. My original thought was that it won't slip because of the weight of the whole model pressing on it. And if it isn't one thing then it's another. I'm just waiting for someone else to tell me that there is another thing to fix, and another, and another... This is as far as it goes regarding my abilities as a builder. I have no plans to improve or put any more work into this model. I'm sorry for the let down. You're better off with eric trax's model.

Edited by pagicence