One BuWizz, it's good. But two, it's better, because you can make MOCs having 8 functions! :laugh:

26666518257_1162021963_b.jpg

I have already done a full RC compact excavator, but with LEGO IR receivers. I wanted do make another excavator without the gearbox allowing to choose between the rotation of the arm and the pneumatic pump. Furthermore, the M motors were just enough powerful to move the arm.

40641999365_3b75dc5692_b.jpg

On this new excavator, it's different. I tried to make the mecanic as compact as possible. And the arm is controlled with more powerful motors: 1 L and 1 XL.

So now you can... dig on gravel with a GoPro attached on the arm, and the motors bear that easily! There is a good speed and so much power to do anything you want! :classic:

40641985735_1d3e99ca79_b.jpg

For the design, I tried to cover the maximum and I kept a color scheme close to the one of my previous excavator.

41535384611_2db64b98fa_b.jpg

To switch on the BuWizz of the turret, you need to open the part behind the cab. The hood is also openable, but there is nothing interesting to see. ^^

41494497742_160d028acf_b.jpg
41494482282_ee36d8931a_b.jpg

So the functions are:

-> Controlled by the bottom BuWizz:

• Left track (M motor)
  • Right track (M motor)
  • Blade (M motor)
  • LEDs (of the cab and the arm)

-> Controlled by the BuWizz of the turret:

• Turn table (L motor)
  • 1st part of the arm (XL motor)
  • 2nd part of the arm (L motor)
  • Bucket (M motor)

40642565755_770fb9d33b_b.jpg
26667001767_3e6c753279_b.jpg

You have certainly noticed that there are shock absorbers. It's for the tension of the tracks.

26666413297_8e0ea5642f_b.jpg
41535311011_861baeb0a6_b.jpg

The LEDs:

41535295071_9bae0deb6e_b.jpg

And the video! The BuWizz are in Fast mode and I used the app BrickController, done by @imurvai. It's perfect for this MOC! :classic:

Beautiful model with very nice styling, and nicely working functions. The proportions make the model seem smaller than it is, I love it!

This MOC looks great! I noticed a bit of vibration on the arm in the video - is this caused by the u-joints being close to their bending limit? 

An excellent looking machine! I love the details in the cab, and the overall functionality achievable with the Buwizz boxes is impressive. It's a shame LEGO don't make more reasonably sized buckets, it's the only thing that lets this model down for me.

Thank you! :classic:

On 18/04/2018 at 3:56 PM, BusterHaus said:

I noticed a bit of vibration on the arm in the video - is this caused by the u-joints being close to their bending limit? 

You're right. The U-joint is placed 1 stud behind the pivot point of the linear actuator. So in some positions, as the U-joint is not homocinetic, that causes vibrations when the bucket is not loaded. But I didn't find another way to do this part of the arm.

On 18/04/2018 at 6:26 PM, ColletArrow said:

It's a shame LEGO don't make more reasonably sized buckets, it's the only thing that lets this model down for me.

I agree. There is no bucket for the excavators of this scale... :hmpf_bad:

Very interested in building this little guy.  Your last one you were able to complete instructions.... any plan to do the same with this guy?

this thing is awesome! it digs so well. the motors were quite nicely hidden in the arms for me until I saw the schematic pictures :thumbup:

Thanks!

I finish the LDD file when I have time for that, and then I tell you when the file is available. :classic:

Hi Anto and All,

I am a freshly retired Electronic Engineer and have discovered my long forgotten Lego fun, which I had as a child.

In the local youth club I am teaching kids how to assemble and run little robots made with a 3D printer and An Arduino board and little Servos, you perhaps are aware of the OTT DIY project.

In addition I had a workshop with a robot car kit and all is programmable with Arduino. I am working on a Lego Version of OTTO as well, but that is challenging, because Otto can dance on one foot and the head should not be too heavy as you can imaging. 

There is a big Lego Technic box in one of the dark corners of the youth club and the kids are not playing with it, which is a pity so my plan is to make it more attractive when I tell them to motorize the constructions. Another idea is to buy smaller and bigger Lego sets and build it together with the kids.

To train myself I have bought one of the bigger old sets, the 8043 Excavator, build it and played with it. All the gears are great technic, but the model is slow and boring for kids.

Anto, your model looks great and it is fast, but it is not using the 8043 parts. Have started to build it, but found that I have to buy too many new parts.

My Question:  Is there a building instruction for an excavator which is using the 8043 parts together with BuWizz and XL, L and M-motors similar to your construction ? If I have to pay something , no problem.

Thank you in advance

Peter

Update: 25.May 2019 Have not found such a model and then mixed your design with the 8043. Thank you for your instructions! It was a real challenge for me to build it, you need to be experienced and I am a beginner. But without your instructions it would not possible at all. 

Edited by PeterOFre
No answer to my question, so I updated it with my progress.

Hi, and sorry but those times I have no time to spend with on LEGO activities so I didn’t see your message. ^^

Firstly, it’s pretty cool to learn to make LEGO builds to kids. :sweet:

Then I think it’s a bit (or way too) late to answer, but I would have told you to use the #8043 and put one motor by function, with a XL for the first part of the arm, a L for the second part of it and another L (or even XL) for the turn table, then M motors for the other functions would have worked. (This should be what you have done)

I know the LDD file is tricky because this software doesn’t generate good instructions, but I hope you have enjoyed (trying to) building my MOC! :wink:

Thank you very much for your answer! Better late ... :-)

Because I am retired I have a lot of time, despite the rumour tell the opposite ;-)