Sign in to follow this  
Aventador2004

Lego Technic Compact Excavator

Hello all!

I'm back with another fun model! This one is meant to be a midsize compact excavator, sort of like the CAT 320D or Komatsu PC210. 

800x600.jpg

• Tracks
  • Slewing (by hand)
  • Boom elavation
  • Stick + bucket
  • Cabin + seat
  • Opening engine compartment

Hope you like it, video soon!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I like the contrast with your colors and being compact you did a good job on the use of your panels!!  Great job overall   

Looks great! Nice use of studded pieces on the back too - much better than panels (which you also did a good job of) :thumbup:

It would be good to see more of the insides (gearing) though, as it's not very clear how they work...

9 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I like the contrast with your colors and being compact you did a good job on the use of your panels!!  Great job overall   

Thank you, I loved making this project.

9 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Looks great! Nice use of studded pieces on the back too - much better than panels (which you also did a good job of) :thumbup:

It would be good to see more of the insides (gearing) though, as it's not very clear how they work...

Thank you, I have been using studded a lot more recently.

Ok, I will take a unbodied picture.

Wow! I really like this. So much function in such a small size.

Could you show a video of it in action?

Andy D

Just now, Andy D said:

Wow! I really like this. So much function in such a small size.

Could you show a video of it in action?

Andy D

Yes, hopefully later today. I also am going to try adding a slewing gear.

Neat! The arm looks quite good despite being hollow, and the body paneling is excellent. My only criticism is that I think the cab looks to small for this size of machine; however, it's shaping is nice. I reckon just 1 or 2 studs larger in each direction should do it. I would also suggest moving it backwards, but that's not possible given the panels. Good work overall though.

Thank you Collet. The arm was really hard to make. I don't really want to change the cab, it really gives character. 

@mocbuild101 here are pictures:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Video is filmed, just needs upload.

Great little model. I like the intricate arm mechanism and the fact that you managed to put that many functions in such a small body. My only criticism would be that the closed bodywork clashes a bit with the skeleton arm. It feels like two designers have been working on this model, loosing a bit of coherence in the process. But other than that, well done:thumbup:

5 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Great little model. I like the intricate arm mechanism and the fact that you managed to put that many functions in such a small body. My only criticism would be that the closed bodywork clashes a bit with the skeleton arm. It feels like two designers have been working on this model, loosing a bit of coherence in the process. But other than that, well done:thumbup: 

Thank you, but it didn't look great with any other way. The arm would be at loss of functions.

4 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Thank you, but it didn't look great with any other way. The arm would be at loss of functions.

Looks like there are some liftarms you might be able to attach long tiles to using 1/2 pins with hollow studs. Possibly the uppermost horizontal one and the outer sides of the two going down from that to the bucket. I can see how most other areas would block functionality.

2 hours ago, NeilJam said:

Looks like there are some liftarms you might be able to attach long tiles to using 1/2 pins with hollow studs. Possibly the uppermost horizontal one and the outer sides of the two going down from that to the bucket. I can see how most other areas would block functionality.

Interesting idea, I will try that!

I like this a lot. It's a great little build with plenty of functionality.

Looking at the photos of your gearing makes this little model all that much more interesting. Now if I could just figure out how it actually works...

BTW: I can't find your video.

Andy D

22 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Looking at the photos of your gearing makes this little model all that much more interesting. Now if I could just figure out how it actually works...

BTW: I can't find your video.

Its way less complex than it looks, take a look at this:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

Video is to be uploaded.

Thanks for the diagram, that is sort of what I was thinking, but I also thought... nah, that's too easy. Also I missed the control for the red line section. Thanks for the explanation. I just makes me appreciate it more!

Andy D

7 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Thanks for the diagram, that is sort of what I was thinking, but I also thought... nah, that's too easy. Also I missed the control for the red line section. Thanks for the explanation. I just makes me appreciate it more!

Andy D

I wanted simple, so that's what I did. You're welcome.