JoeyB

Is LEGO Ideas self-promotion allowed here?

Hi, how are you doing? So... just as a future reference point, how do you feel about self-promoting your Ideas submissions on here? Are they allowed, and- more intriguing to me- do you respect them? Is it too desperate/low-brow to you? I've been debating whether I should put any and all my future Ideas submissions on here, I'm curious what you guys think about it? Thanks, I appreciate it!

Per the forum rules, direct promotion (basically) is not allowed.  If you want to start a topic featuring your MOC, keeping in the spirit of the forums and sharing your creation for purposes of inspiration, feedback, and general discussion, and then mention that it's also on Ideas and include a link for anyone that wants to support it, that's fine.  If you start a topic that is, "Here's a project I just put up on Ideas - please support!" - that's not what the site is for and generally frowned upon.

My personal feelings are the same; if you've built something that's nice enough for people to admire and be inspired by and has any chance of achieving 10K votes, then it'll get votes on its own merits and you don't need to push it any more than mentioning the Ideas link.

So... please feel free to share your creations - whether they're on Ideas or not - but don't spam us begging for votes with a sparse, poorly-detailed topic that's really just an ad!  :classic:

In general if someone is joining the forum only to promote their ideas-project, then they should not expect any feedback or support from me. If everyone would use Eurobricks in that way, the site would drown in ideas-project-spam, so p!ease show some interest in the community and participate. Otherwise it just wont be fair to the rest of the users.

However if someone delivers more than a "support-my-project" post, is quite an active poster and has a really interesting project, I am definitely open to hit support.

19 hours ago, deraven said:

Per the forum rules, direct promotion (basically) is not allowed.  If you want to start a topic featuring your MOC, keeping in the spirit of the forums and sharing your creation for purposes of inspiration, feedback, and general discussion, and then mention that it's also on Ideas and include a link for anyone that wants to support it, that's fine.  If you start a topic that is, "Here's a project I just put up on Ideas - please support!" - that's not what the site is for and generally frowned upon.

My personal feelings are the same; if you've built something that's nice enough for people to admire and be inspired by and has any chance of achieving 10K votes, then it'll get votes on its own merits and you don't need to push it any more than mentioning the Ideas link.

So... please feel free to share your creations - whether they're on Ideas or not - but don't spam us begging for votes with a sparse, poorly-detailed topic that's really just an ad!  :classic:

I see. IF I were to "promote" a submission, it would be as an actual MOC showcase, plus the link, okay... I appreciate the clarification.

19 hours ago, Jarema said:

I thinks BriXtar is correct place for self-promotion.

BriXtar? Just a MOC showcase site?

15 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

In general if someone is joining the forum only to promote their ideas-project, then they should not expect any feedback or support from me. If everyone would use Eurobricks in that way, the site would drown in ideas-project-spam, so p!ease show some interest in the community and participate. Otherwise it just wont be fair to the rest of the users.

However if someone delivers more than a "support-my-project" post, is quite an active poster and has a really interesting project, I am definitely open to hit support.

Yeah... Don't want any "one-&-done" users who just dump all their self-promotion on here in hopes of support, I gotcha... thanks for the reply! 

From EB's very own guidelines, accessible at the top of every page:

LEGO Ideas: If you have a great MOC, that is also a LEGO Ideas project, you may present it on EB as you would any MOC, with a single link to the Ideas entry. Make the title about the MOC, not the Ideas business; don't be too shouty, and it is likely to be tolerated. You need to be thinking: 'I want people on EB to see my MOC and comment on it. If they like it, perhaps they'll support it on LEGO Ideas', rather than: 'I want Ideas support! If I post it on EB, perhaps more people will vote!.

So that wraps it up, really.

I think everyone on here agrees on this point. No-one will mind you adding a link at the end of a MOC post, and if they like it they'll go and vote for it. I tend to think of posts that start with the link less friendly, even if the post is well presented, but that's personal preference. And don't just copy-paste what you wrote on the Ideas page; it seems to much like cheating, even if it is the same MOC! :wink:

3 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

From EB's very own guidelines, accessible at the top of every page:

So that wraps it up, really.

I think everyone on here agrees on this point. No-one will mind you adding a link at the end of a MOC post, and if they like it they'll go and vote for it. I tend to think of posts that start with the link less friendly, even if the post is well presented, but that's personal preference. And don't just copy-paste what you wrote on the Ideas page; it seems to much like cheating, even if it is the same MOC! :wink:

Cool, thank you! Yeah, plugging in the link at the beginning and copy-pasting the exact same description seems pretty low, I appreciate the feedback! 

19 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Me too. In fact, I tend not to even bother looking at the rest of the photos or pictures if the "VOTE FOR ME" request is at the top.