jrx

[MOC] The Yellow Yellow Submarine Simulator

Hi everyone! Not long ago I finished my latest MOC. And today I finished the corresponding video. So it's time to show it here. Shortest description would be: Stewart platform for Ideas set 21306 „Yellow Submarine“. The longer description is: It's a MOC I built around the Ideas set. It's a fully working stewart platform powered by two pump compressor and controlled by two joysticks. Everything is working pure mechanically and with pneumatic. For better look I used system bricks for the control tower (with female naval engineer) and the housing of compressor and control center.

Components:

1x PF L motor
1x PF M motor
1x PF LiPo
2x PF switches
6x Pneumatic V2 cylinder (small thin)
2x Pneumatic V2 pumps
6x Pneumatic Valves
some PF cables

41464652692_51e6490bb8.jpg

27634699828_813421c409.jpg

41464655212_96340f4fb9.jpg

25722214907_4c110f04a6.jpg

38710161490_f01a85e9ec.jpg

41464656442_bc69d2fb16.jpg

Looking forward to reading your comments.

Best jrx

Nice original MOC!  The finishing touches on the controller and control tower are very good, and the tube routing is very clean.  The video is great, too!

By the way, I expected the gangway to be the Abbey Road crosswalk.

Absolutely amazing!! I was fascinated by Star Tours in Disneyland California and this is very similar to how the actual ride works! I hope the people inside have seatbelts or after they will be a splat on the wall:laugh:

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

This is really cool! I have to say the submarine, with its cartoon-style, really makes for an ideal fairground-ride attraction. Very neat work and lovely concept! :classic:

Great work bringing the model "to life"! I love the minifig-sized control cabin, gangway and compressor room, and the attention to details in what is possibly the best technic/minifigs crossover I've seen for a while. The neatness of the pneumatic control box is excellent too, I want to see inside it!

Thank you all for your feedback and praising! I'm very happy you like it like I do :)

13 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

I expected the gangway to be the Abbey Road crosswalk

What! That's genius. You mean like this? Cool idea. Thx a lot!

39709522660_52643ffa07.jpg

Edit: Did a second version with one more white stripe. I think it looks better this way.

27648064038_4268548031.jpg

9 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I hope the people inside have seatbelts or after they will be a splat on the wall

No seatbelts :) But a bumper sticker "How I'm driving? Call xxx" ;)

8 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

I really want to see inside that controller

Have a look at my Flickr channel. There are some WIP pictures. I'll do a "Behind the MOC" video in the next days.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

The neatness of the pneumatic control box is excellent too, I want to see inside it!

Will be a part of the "Behind the MOC" video too.

Edited by jrx
Added a second picture.

Hey there,

it's a while since I promised the "Behind the MOC" video. Today I managed to film and publish it. There are some new detail pics at my flickr channel too. Looking forward your comments.

27391443417_a7e8a1e4c2.jpg

42215237972_fa590750e2.jpg

40455268100_c0b4a08808.jpg

41540249924_7b283bb36e.jpg

27391442797_d83a32484d.jpg

42262151581_ff04a393d6.jpg

This is what I was waiting for when I first saw your MOC. Incredible piece of work, integration system with technic and SNOT techniques as well, something I find very difficult.

I really like the idea behind this set and the combination of functions with a very high quality aesthetic "cover". Personally I love the pump house especially.

However I do have a question about the controller. In the video you say controls for each stick is up, down & twist (hoch, runter und drehen). Does that mean you can twist the stick to control all three valves connected to one stick instead of 2/1 or do you mean the effect on the platform?

I think the limitation with lego is the partly control of air flow to the cylinders so you could control some pumps to receive just half the air of others to make the intermediate movements.

However I'm really impressed with the movements that could still be achieved in this setup! Congratulations!

16 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

This is what I was waiting for when I first saw your MOC. Incredible piece of work, integration system with technic and SNOT techniques as well, something I find very difficult.

Thanks Carsten.

12 hours ago, Musikfreak said:

I really like the idea behind this set and the combination of functions with a very high quality aesthetic "cover". Personally I love the pump house especially.

Thank you :) The pump house was a spontaneous build. When I built it first I used only Technic parts. But it lookd ... ähm ... not so good.

Does that mean you can twist the stick to control all three valves connected to one stick instead of 2/1 or do you mean the effect on the platform?

Yes I can twist the stick and control two or three of the valve simultaneously. It depends on how I twist it. With twisting I can realize to wag the tail or the front :)

I think the limitation with lego is the partly control of air flow to the cylinders so you could control some pumps to receive just half the air of others to make the intermediate movements.

Yeah, it’s always the same problem. I’m thinking on a solution to reduce the air flow for thw down direktion. But it doesn’t work well.