In the 42083 Bugatti hipe here is my throw at a fake W16 engine. I wanted it to be small and easy to install. I spent some time on it over the weekend and after some trial and error I got it working.

It has more friction than a mini-V8, but I'm afraid that is inevitable. It all comes very precise. For the fake crankshaft I had to use mirrored cam-pairs, otherwise the sharp side of a cam piece would hit the piston under too much angle, which sometimes caused hick-ups. To make it run smoothly the pistons need a space of exactly the height of a flat plate, no more, no less. Also the end-stops of the 3L piston-axles are essential and the round sides of the bushes attached to the pistons need to face down.

800x450.jpg

If it wasn't because of the mirrored cam-pairs, a half-cylinder offset in the piston-rows would have been possible :sadnew:.

800x450.jpg

LXF-file here.

EDIT: I reworked the mini engine into a 1:8 scale version. Slightly different configuration.

If you build this:

• Be sure to level the bottom-ends of the 3L piston-axles with the bottom-ends of the bushes by pressing them against the flat side of a beam.
  • Sink the piston-axle-end-stops all the way into the 12t gears.
  • Make sure the round side of the bushes face down.

Instructions can be found on Rebrickable.

Edited by Didumos69

i thought a w block engine has 6 rows of cams 2 rows per block head for a total of 6 rows.. that looks like a v block engine and is there a piston inside of your model ??  

2 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

i thought a w block engine has 6 rows of cams 2 rows per block head for a total of 6 rows.. that looks like a v block engine and is there a piston inside of your model ??  

Well, it's bit of a fake fake engine, because what your looking at are not the cams, but the pistons. It is quite usual in mini-fake-engines to use a camshaft as fake crankshaft. Sorry :laugh:.

Edited by Didumos69

ok I thought they represent cams since they are located above the piston and then they are pistons without a cylinder .. odd !! 

4 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

ok I thought they represent cams since they are located above the piston and then they are pistons without a cylinder .. odd !! 

If you're not familiar with this type of fake engines than the confusion is understandable.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=lego+technic+mini+engine

Edited by Didumos69

when I was a child, all my technic models had a bigger square pistons and if they had a cam it would be similar to your pistons. I thought the mini where the smaller yellow pistons.  its odd that the pistons are with no cylinder. transparent blocks do exist!!

update, I got it thanks!!!  

Edited by sirslayer

Cracking little engine. I’m guessing it’s not long now till the actual reveal of the Chiron. Rumour has it will be one of the sets for early VIP release at the end of May that are on the calendar

Fun to fiddle around with right?

I like your rendition. Too bad i think, at this scale, it will be too small for 42083, yet i think TLG version will be too clunky and large. But i could be wrong, we shall see shortly.....

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Fun to fiddle around with right?

It sure is! The fine-tuning is something you have to do with real pieces. Trying to really see why something is not working properly is the most fun. And then change it based on assumptions about the cause. Disappointment. And finally glory. Reminds me of modding the Porsche two years ago.

10 hours ago, sirslayer said:

The "W" engines that VW, Audi, Bentley, and Bugatti use have four cams and one crank.  When looking at the block from one of the ends, it looks like a V.  The two cylinder heads are really wide though.  These "W" engines are basically designed around two VR engines mounted together (The VR engines are very narrow 15 degree V engines used in many older VW vehicles.  Despite cylinders/pistons being in a V configuration, the VR engines only have one cylinder head).

Bugatti did use "W18" engines that did have three banks of cylinders (three heads, three exhaust manifolds, three intakes, etc) in some of the '90s concept cars, but I don't think any made it to production.  

Edited by dhc6twinotter

12 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Too bad i think, at this scale, it will be too small for 42083, yet i think TLG version will be too clunky and large.

I didn't intend to make something that replaces the piston-pyramid TLG will be incorporating, but maybe with some tweaks it could fit in :laugh:. Then again, if the Bugatti will have a serious gearbox, I fear my engine has too much friction, but that could be a problem with the TLG version too.

800x450.jpg

9 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

@Lox Lego has a very similar engine in his Bugatti Chiron. It is made a little different but works great. Yours is very smooth...like it!!

I didn't take a close a look at that one before, but it looks really cool. One important difference is that @Lox Lego uses the drive axle (or crankshaft) to keep the engine block in place. Personally I would never use a drive axle to secure anything.

Edited by Didumos69

I reworked the mini engine into a 1:8 scale version. Slightly different configuration. If you build this:

• Be sure to level the bottom-ends of the 3L piston-axles with the bottom-ends of the bushes by pressing them against the flat side of a beam.
  • Sink the piston-axle-end-stops all the way into the 12t gears.
  • Make sure the round side of the bushes face down.

Instructions can be found on Rebrickable.

Edited by Didumos69