Haddock51

Vintage Train with Be 6/8 "Crocodile"

When I saw the pictures of this train in @HoMa:s Lego Trains Book. I simply couldn't resist the temptation (particularly not after having seen TLGs miserable train news for 2018 ...)

So I built it myself. A true pleasure with a very high degree of satisfaction. And another beautiful contribution to my train collection:

41499138861_3f6caf2750_c.jpg

39689855170_aa86851509_c.jpg

41499139091_30b5a15c16_c.jpg

41458660162_fe1c4cea8e_c.jpg

39691262610_eba7d201ec_c.jpg

A big praise to Holger for this very nice MOC which wakes many train memories back in the years when I grew up in Switzerland.

This train is a 9V version with a total of four 9V motors mounted on the first two coaches. The interiors of the locomotive are therefore empty, i.e. no PF stuff.

The Be 6/8 is built in Reddish Brown to match the colours of the Swedish iron ore train with the Dm3 and the Da locomotives. In addition, it is adapted to the challenges of the 9V Extreme layout, in particular the humps at the level transitions.

And the rods by Trained Bricks really put the dot over the i ...

PS: Imagine - a Swedish iron ore train together with a Swiss Crocodile in the midst of the Swiss Alps - goose bumps all over again ...

Edited by Haddock51

Hello,

good choice to build this beauty !!

I could not resist either, so I build it Christmas 2016 after collecting parts the hole year round...

And this is were I ended up...

33094219735_08669e82cc_b.jpgKroko braun 3 by Axel, auf Flickr

32968791791_6580dc8816_b.jpgKroko gruen 1 by Axel, auf Flickr

33095725395_7beb5e7d4f_b.jpgKroko doppelt 2 by Axel, auf Flickr

Besides...the BR10 is another beauty worth building

Greetings

Axel

19 minutes ago, Lexa said:

I could not resist either, so I build it Christmas 2016 after collecting parts the hole year round...

The most difficult and time consuming thing was to identify, find and order all the required parts for the entire train. It took me four weeks.

Edited by Haddock51

I kept my wanted list for....don't know...another colour?

Yeah, it took quite a long time... but it is worth it...

4 minutes ago, Stefaneris said:

Nice crocodile and train. The cars really fit to the locomotive and make a great historic train.

The locomotive and coaches are built 7-wide, a width I have used only a few times before.  After having built this vintage train, I believe this is an almost perfect - however not so easy - width for building trains.

@Haddock51 it's always a pleasure for me to see other AFOLs enjoying to build models from my book. And great that you made your own version for the 9 Volt system.

The noses seems to be off the body by a stud. Is it to make it more flexible to go thru standard R40 curves and switches? It might be tricky in the original version, especially with the cables from the body to the noses.

How did you proceed with the instructions? The Crocodile by far is a very complex model and I had to save pages wherever possible. So I couldn't do the "one step, one element, one page" concept of original LEGO instructions. And I hope red instead of brown or darkgreen also helped? 

Yes, 7-wide is great. Nice compromise for me in realism and overall length of locomotives and wagons. Plus an extra challenge in building in odd numbers. So one of my favorite elements became the Technic 1x5 plate with 4 studs and the center Technic axle hole.

Now enjoy your trains! Seems like you have a nice shelf for display and a multi level track layout? 

You are from Sweden ... any plans to go to Trondheim/Norway by the end of the month? I will be there with my Frauenkirche MOC and some trains.

Best regards, Holger

Edited by HoMa
Typos

An excellent build! The cars are really great looking. The exterior shot shows interior details through the widows, is there more than what is visible through the window? If so, please post pics.

Wow - the whole thing is great.  I especially like the pistols used in the pantographs and the overall shaping of the engine.  Lovely color scheme, too.  Nice build!  :classic:

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

An excellent build! The cars are really great looking. The exterior shot shows interior details through the widows, is there more than what is visible through the window? If so, please post pics.

Thanks. In addition to the lamps with the Pearl Gold Satellite Dishes, there are seats in Brown. Originally, I planned to place some minifigs. However the current interior looks so bautiful that I decided to go without minifigs.

20 hours ago, HoMa said:

@Haddock51 it's always a pleasure for me to see other AFOLs enjoying to build models from my book. And great that you made your own version for the 9 Volt system.

The noses seems to be off the body by a stud. Is it to make it more flexible to go thru standard R40 curves and switches? It might be tricky in the original version, especially with the cables from the body to the noses.

How did you proceed with the instructions? The Crocodile by far is a very complex model and I had to save pages wherever possible. So I couldn't do the "one step, one element, one page" concept of original LEGO instructions. And I hope red instead of brown or darkgreen also helped? 

Yes, 7-wide is great. Nice compromise for me in realism and overall length of locomotives and wagons. Plus an extra challenge in building in odd numbers. So one of my favorite elements became the Technic 1x5 plate with 4 studs and the center Technic axle hole.

Now enjoy your trains! Seems like you have a nice shelf for display and a multi level track layout? 

You are from Sweden ... any plans to go to Trondheim/Norway by the end of the month? I will be there with my Frauenkirche MOC and some trains.

Best regards, Holger

Great to hear from you, Holger!

As a result of my initial modifications to make the locomotive vertically more flexible, the gaps between noses and body increased by one stud on each side. I have now remodified these links and managed to get back to the original gap.

Tests so far indicate that it's quite tricky to get the locomotive smoothly through switches, even without PF cables. Humps and climbing spirals on the other hand are no issues any longer.

For an experienced MOCer, your instructions are quite ok - and the red "construction" colour is indeed of great help.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you for this fantastic "schoolbook"! Even though I have been building with Lego for more than three decades, I learned a lot! Was this the first book out of a series ...?

And don't forget to have a look at my multi level track:  

Best regards

Daniel

Edited by Haddock51

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎16 at 6:41 PM, Lexa said:

Besides...the BR10 is another beauty worth building

Absolutely! Next on my list, but first during fall ev. winter.

Have you built it?

Hi

yes , I build it.

It looks fantastic, but it is still missing some dark green carriages like yours..

16 hours ago, Lexa said:

Hi

yes , I build it.

It looks fantastic, but it is still missing some dark green carriages like yours..

Please post pictures!

I have to take some... at the moment it is standing on my desk giving me a smile everytime looking at it...

Will post some quick shots later...

@HoMa and @Lexa, this looks absolutely fantastic and spectacular!! Goose bumps all over again ...

So I have decided to build this fabulous steam engine later this year.

Holger, by the way, do you also provide the stickers that are visible on your BR 10?

PS: TLG, this is what so many of us AFOLs have been waiting for a long time ....

Edited by Haddock51