Mesabi

[META] Trade Route Visaulization

Hi everyone, I did a map drawing out all the trade routes people used. 

27565882558_8ce8e28076_b.jpgTrade Map by North White, on Flickr

Red is Corrington

Green is Eslandola

Blue is Oleon

Gray is Sea Rats

Yellow is Mardier

Black is other

This shows a basic idea of how ships move in BoBS. The map does not show which direction the ships were going, however, and this is a rough estimate. For example, a ship traveling between Weelond and Nova Terrelli could pass through zone 10 or 12. So, the trade routes could be comepletely different. Also, I only recorded ships that had their location registered in two KPAs, so the FTA fleet is not in this analysis. Additionally, if a ship left from a port and returned to it, I have no idea where it went, so it was not added to the map.

Let me know what you guys think, and I hope this helps people out. :classic:

It's an interesting map. It's unfortunate that the specific zones for many routes have to be guesses, but it still enables us to see generally on which ports the different factions are calling. Thanks for doing this!

Similar to this, @Maxim I once did a map that showed the location of all the ships (just small ship silhouettes on the map; it didn't identify them other than by faction). That would be neat to see again.

Nice map Mesabi, interesting to see which ports are favoured and which port are mostly left out by the trading ships. A watchfull captain could make a fortune calling some not so favourite ports. 

Very interesting, Mesabi. A clear pattern is emerging and it looks like real world trade routes. And as Bart says, it really looks like it would pay to visit the less travelled ports! :)

A lot of work must have gone into this, great effort! Despite the lack of some details like the exct trade routes - which have to be omitted for good reasons - this is still very helpful. Definitely something to take into consideration for the next TMCRA!

It would be interesting to see this kind of map for every month, to see how things develop over time. But this would be again a lot of work, and even this one installment is already highly appreciated. Good work! :thumbup:

A pirate might love this map too, going hunting might be most favourable in area 17 for instance :D :D

*checks the flag-chest if there is a black one*

And they call Terraversa the gate to the east? This map clearly shows that Nova Terreli on Nellisa is the one and only true gate to the Colonial World. :-) 

Fantastic map, thanks for your work on this one.

Great job Mesabi!

It does looks very realistic. The only thing that is not so realistic is that the thick lines are only intercolonial trade routes. In other words, the goods are being transported between colonial cities and not between the colonies and the Old World.

32 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

It does looks very realistic. The only thing that is not so realistic is that the thick lines are only intercolonial trade routes. In other words, the goods are being transported between colonial cities and not between the colonies and the Old World.

That's actually a fantastic point. Trade Values of the old world capitals seem inappropriately low in comparison. They probably should reflect the whole region (and thus be multitudes higher).

Maybe @Bregir has some clever ideas to incorporate some benefits for transporting goods between the two worlds in a future revision of the MRCA?

2 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Maybe @Bregir has some clever ideas to incorporate some benefits for transporting goods between the two worlds in a future revision of the MRCA?

I think we already have a multiplier to move goods from the old to the new world, or the other way around - at least it was discussed. Perhaps it should be buffed? Just buffing old world trade values will only lead to more inter-old world transport, which is not really a desirable outcome, I think.

@Captain Genaro: Can you enlighten us? What is the current multiplier?

For a MRCA 2.5-ish I'd also like trade value to accumulate, so that a port that is not visited for a turn will be more worth next turn. (And consequently, frequently visited ports will never accumulate much.)

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

The only thing that is not so realistic is that the thick lines are only intercolonial trade routes. In other words, the goods are being transported between colonial cities and not between the colonies and the Old World.

Keep in mind that the thickness of lines represents numbers of ships. Perhaps larger but fewer ships are being used in the west. Or maybe not. :pir-grin: 

5 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Trade Values of the old world capitals seem inappropriately low in comparison.

I know we've been working on getting the old world TVs raised, and I think we've made some progress recently. If people are paying attention, we should see increased activity in the old world ports.

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

@Captain Genaro: Can you enlighten us? What is the current multiplier?

There is no bonus for going between the old and new worlds. There are bonuses for undersupply and distance, which may come into effect if you are sailing to or from a rarely visited old world port.

25 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

There is no bonus for going between the old and new worlds. There are bonuses for undersupply and distance, which may come into effect if you are sailing to or from a rarely visited old world port.

Could it (realistically) be done within the current system?

Maybe we should take this discussion elsewhere? :)

Realistically old world and new world trade can only be accomplished by older players or trade companies that can support C4 or higher trade vessels ... You can gamble with two ships (ship level of 10) and hope for the best however a newer less established player may not take this risk due to the fact that now ships sink and get attacked and may spring leaks damaging cargo

Taking this risk is part of the game. 

in Era I there was a whole different system for ships and classes. so saying that older players have an advantage is not realy true in my opinion, just a marginal one.

If most players sail around in a range 4/5 ship that does explain why Nova Terelli has become such a hub as zone 16 and 19 to the north are empty. and zone 18 and 21 are Sea-Rat waters and people are somehow afraid of those.
there is so much cool information to gather from this map.

On 2018-04-16 at 7:36 AM, Elostirion said:

And they call Terraversa the gate to the east? This map clearly shows that Nova Terreli on Nellisa is the one and only true gate to the Colonial World. :-) 

I actually think this points out a weakness in the zone design. Right now zones 13-15 each cover an equal distance of 3-5 zones in the colonised world, which seems unrealistic. Lore-wise the entire reason we can now travel across the sea is because Terraversa can be used as a staging point, but that is undermined by the fact that in-game it's quite easy to travel right across the ocean with even a small ship.

I think those zone should be at least cut in two, preferably three, to more accuratley reflect this. I understand why it is the way it is, many zones that are never used may seem redundant, but isn't that exactly the point? That they are never used; you can't sail straight out into the sea. Could leadership possibly look into this, @Bregir for example?

A lot of effort, game balancing, and compromise went into the zone design. It's not meant to be a perfect simulation. Think of the reason that nobody simply sailed beyond Terraversa before as being because nobody knew what was there; it was sailing into the unknown. Discovery of other islands makes sailing across empty stretches of sea much more feasible.

I would also add that, while this is a neat map, it does have one major shortcoming; the public knows the starting and ending point of each ship, but not the route taken. There is often more than one route between two settlements, and players may not always take the most direct route. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but we don't know. That said, this map is impressive and must have taken a lot of work. 

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

A lot of effort, game balancing, and compromise went into the zone design. It's not meant to be a perfect simulation.

I've never doubted that a tremendous amount of work and care has gone into the game design, I just noticed an aspect that I think might be improved. However, I'd be interested to know what game balancing purpose the large ocean zones serve, and what the negatives of dividing them would be, because I can't think of them myself?

2 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Discovery of other islands makes sailing across empty stretches of sea much more feasible.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

2 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

the public knows the starting and ending point of each ship, but not the route taken.

That's true, but I think my main point still stands. It is, in my opinion, too easy to travel from the old world to the new without making port to resupply along the way.

2 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

That said, this map is impressive and must have taken a lot of work. 

I wholeheartedly agree! @Mesabi has done a fantastic work! I really appreciate these meta analyses!

Edited by Flavius Gratian

11 hours ago, Flavius Gratian said:

That's true, but I think my main point still stands. It is, in my opinion, too easy to travel from the old world to the new without making port to resupply along the way.

Well, IC most ships do stop at Terraversa to resupply. It is a much safer route to go, as ships may get in trouble in any sea zone. If they do so where there is a port, there is a big chance they will be redirected and survive. If they do so where there is none, they will be lost. Hence, planning your route so you pass Terraversa is really the prudent choice.

However, in our mrca, there are no intermediate stops. You go from one port to the next and do not carry over trade. It is a simplification of the mechanics which I think is justified to ensure playability, but IC you trade the whole route, so to speak.

Makes sense?