richpantson

MOC BR class 08 shunter

Hi

Heres my first attempt at a BR Class 08. It uses the same underside and internals as my powered wagon here

Ive then stuck on some different sides and roof. The most difficult part was wrapping all sides so that it wouldnt affect the magnet coupling.

Image2a.jpg

Image3.jpg

IMG_20180413_180145.jpg

IMG_20180413_180358.jpg

IMG_20180413_180434.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image1a.jpg

Image2.jpg

I think the roof is wrong and obv I would like to install 6 wheels. Ive tried and have many failed attempts. Any advice would be grateful.

Apart from that, I'm quite happy with the end results

It's always nice to see another, different approach to this prototype! You've done well to capture all the colours with bricks, rather than stickers (as I usually end up using).

I find the 6-wheel chassis difficult to pull off with the standard train motor; the wheels end up too far apart, and the sides look wrong when compared to the connecting rods so prominent on the real thing. I think if you made it a tad longer and put an M or L motor in somewhere vertically, geared into a custom chassis, you're onto a winner. I may have to try something similar in LDD (to add to by growing collection of various digital designs of this loco!) Another idea is to expand the cab and running plate to 7 or even 8 wide, which would mean the bonnet doesn't look to wide with the side plates on. Oh, and handrails for minifigs to hang on to! Overall, an excellent effort.

Posted (edited)

Apparently the class 8 is based on the class 11. My own F class is apparently based on the class 11 also.... strange family tree.

heres my related WIP:

Victorian Railways F class WIP

Needs some more tweaking, it will get bigger wheels next revision.

Edited by cptkent
Link

@ColletArrow Thanks for the advice. Ive tried the vertical motor on to geared wheels. Unfortunately it requires more space and the length doesnt look as good. I also had issues of centering the battery box so that it was above the wheels. If it was to one side, the 08 would be just doing wheelies all the time. Kids loved that ;-) Hence Ive abandoned that idea (abandoned in the sense i wont give up and will revisit at some point) 

I do try to keep to 6 wide, but 7 wide for the cab might not be a bad thing. I will look at that at some point.

I have already added clips ready for door handles, Ive just run out of some parts.... back to Bricklink I go ;-)

@cptkent I like the look of your shunter. Is yours not using the standard PF bogie? i can see 6 wheels beneath. Have you gone for the vertical motor or something different?

@Paperinik77pk @zephyr1934 The internals are based on my PF wagon. Its quite a nice design thats quite versatile and reskinable. I'm also doing a simple track maintenance van using the same framework. Its not based on anything real. I will post it up when I have more of it finished.

Ive been playing this morning with a new roof.... I like it a lot better than the current roof but need to head to bricklink for more parts. Heres a taster...

Image4.jpg

new livery... I like the grey roof with orange stripe a lot more than the blue and black. 

Image5.jpg Image1.jpg Image2.jpg 

starting to look like an actual engine now....

Pa088412.jpg