Henchmen4Hire

Way to brace halves for SNOT building

Wanted to update my old build of the Steredenn ship so I twerked it into a more accurate shape. Also wanted to make some sections hollow to store weapons.

Mainly posting this because I figured out a way to easily connect two halves, with the brick bottoms facing each other. I think this should be sturdy, just wish I had the pieces to try it out.

The clips and bars are what hold the halves together. The bars let you squeeze the halves together without crumpling the hollow structure.

igv8WMr.jpg

rShIQwl.jpg

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Interesting idea. I never thought of it before, but now it seems quite obvious. Might be very usefull in some situations. Good job!

Edited by jakbar

That's how I feel every time I see other people come up with techniques, it seems so obvious once shown :grin:

Some ideas for bracing larger builds, put those funky Technic pieces to good use

KyYjE9G.jpg

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I've used this in some places, but if you have the room I'd also suggest this one on each side, its axle hole is full & very sturdy. Sturdy enough that you will only need 1 or 2 of them on each side.

lego-4527839-technic-rotor-blanc.jpg

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

I've used this in some places, but if you have the room I'd also suggest this one on each side, its axle hole is full & very sturdy. Sturdy enough that you will only need 1 or 2 of them on each side.

lego-4527839-technic-rotor-blanc.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I switched to [2x2 round plate with axle holes] since I can place one high and one low.

I think I might just need 1, all those other bars in there are also flush against the walls anyway.

EdiSlbF.jpg

10 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Why not use brackets?

How would you incorporate them here? I'm used to building cars, I haven't figured out techniques I'm comfortable with (or that are even effective :grin: ) for spaceships yet.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

12 minutes ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Thanks for the tip! I switched to [2x2 round plate with axle holes] since I can place one high and one low.

EdiSlbF.jpg

How would you incorporate them here? I'm used to building cars, I haven't figured out techniques I'm comfortable with (or that are even effective :grin: ) for spaceships yet.

41455777711_6603590c2f_c.jpgtest by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

Tried the brackets, it works and is probably sturdier, but I like how easy the model is to split with these clips. I think I can actually switch to all axles, but I need to see if the clips and bars offer any significant rigidity.

8 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Round plates don't have a plate-thick axle hole, though, it's only at the end, so generally you need to stack 2. Trust me, 2 1x5 bars with just 1 axle should be way sturdier.

Of course brackets will work as well, but keep in mind that brackets are rather poorly molded, I don't really trust them when it comes to getting perfect joints. Brick brackets can be trusted, though.
Brackets with flat sides are nasty. 1x2 ones are even less precise than 2x2 ones.
Brackets at the bottom & at the top will do fine, you will only see the gaps around the brackets themselves, not a problem when it's inside.

Edited by anothergol

I agree, the 1x5 plate works best but I've got some shapes where I end up using 2x2 round plates backed by a 2x2 square to get it to fit better in a smaller space/different geometry. The only problem with this is that the axle pieces do no quite seat against the plates so the angles could be a little deformed with handling. I have found that once I everything is attached this is not much of an issue. 

5ad8f752a508b_Cyl_hexagon2.jpg.8c006e31e2e5c0c901861049baca7c97.jpg