Sir Stig

Winners announced - Musicians Talent Fair [Mini-Challenge]

MCTC presents the annual Musicians Talent Fair 618!

41436453551_16e472a4e8.jpg

Category 1 - Preparations for the festival. Set up tents, build a scene, negotiate with venues about wage/free drinks/demand list/etc, the journey to Bardo. Show how you prepare for the festivities.

Rules:

• You must provide a link to your entry below.
  • You must submit your entry by the 6th of May, 12:00 PM, your time zone.
  • Your entry must measure 8 studs in width and length, maximum 16x16 studs in width and length.
  • There is no height restriction.
  • Your entry may only have a minimal (2 stud) overhang.
  • Only one prize maximum will be awarded per entrant.
  • We’re looking for quality, not quantity, so you may only submit a maximum of two entries.
  • You must be a BoBS member to participate, but you can belong to any faction.

Category 2 - Performance. Show the world your sound of music. Display a music concept of your choosing that will be attending The Musicians Talent Fair. I will not put leading examples here. Anything is allowed, as long as it makes sound and/or is catchy. The location for the main event will be Bardo.

Rules:

• Your entry must showcase a musician performing for the Musician’s Talent Fair.
  • Your entry must be located in Bardo (post in the Bardo settlement thread).
  • You must submit your entry by the 13th 20th of May, 12:00 PM, your time zone.
  • Your entry must measure minimum 8x8studs in width and length, maximum 16x16 studs in width and length.
  • We’re looking for quality, not quantity, so you may only submit a maximum of two entries.

Category 3 - Social outreach. Build something related to music for the poor and unfortunate. Examples: performing for orphanages, choir, etc. This is where all nationalities can join to help bring the joy of music to people on the bottom. To show how much we all care. Or just to get an alibi as someone who takes social responsibility.

Rules:

• Your entry must showcase a musicial setting aimed towards the lower classes.
  • Your entry can be located anywhere in the Brick Seas. Post in the appropriate settlement thread.
  • You must submit your entry by the 13th 20th of May, 12:00 PM, your time zone.
  • Your entry must measure minimum 8x8studs in width and length, maximum 16x16 studs in width and length.

Prizes:

• A panel of judges will judge all entries and the best entry overall will become the Golden Bard of Bardo. Judge criterias will be based on both build, story and presentation.
  • The winning entry in each category will be awarded 100 DBs.
  • The runner-up in each category will be awarded 50 DB's.
  • Every unlicensed entry will be awarded  10 DBs.
  • Every licensed entry will be awarded 25 DB's.

Lovely idea, and the concept looks sound (pun intended).

Expect some WTC shenanigans! :pir-grin:

Maybe a silly question, but I only found a MTF for 2016. Was there one last year, and if so: where can I find it?

18 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Maybe a silly question, but I only found a MTF for 2016. Was there one last year, and if so: where can I find it?

You just have to look really hard. For a loooong time... :pir_laugh2:

This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let us not bicker and argue about who killed who. Another year give or take, what does it matter. We are still here. Are we here? Well, most of us anyway. Give it time, the weariness of life will get to you. It'll get to you. But, the spirit, the spirit never ages.

As in earlier contest/(s) lyrical references (and references in general) are encouraged. Now, bring me More Soup!

18 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

The answer is NO. There was no annual MTF last year. There. I said it. Happy Face! :sweet:

Edit: Powers That Be, can we get this contest pinned?

Edited by Sir Stig

On 4/14/2018 at 12:50 AM, Drunknok said:

Here are the first event, if you want to see some example builds. Keep in mind that the size restrictions were much tighter back then: 

Yup, that is the one I was talking about. Some nice entries back then. :thumbup:

I really appreciate this years wider scope in terms of categories, as well as the slightly looser restrictions. I think it gives more freedom to the builders and encourages more variety for entries - which is always good for a challenge I believe.

Edited by Drunknok

If I where to build in all three catagories, do they have to be in three different thread, or can they be posted in one thread?
*asking with the back thought that this might reduce a bit of overflow in the BoBs sub-forum

The Orchid Challenge had the approach of "one thread per entry", and I must say that worked pretty well.

6 hours ago, Bart said:

If I where to build in all three catagories, do they have to be in three different thread, or can they be posted in one thread?
*asking with the back thought that this might reduce a bit of overflow in the BoBs sub-forum

That's okay. Just link the separate posts in the thread in the appropriate settlements, and here, To ensure we don't miss any entries, and so the Mayors know what builds are in their settlements. Since there are two possible entries in each category, you can make two separate threads (if you want to use both entries), telling the story of each musician/artist/bard/band/group/orchestra/etc.

This is a bonus challenge, to fill the void before the next main challenge, and to add some lighthearted entries without to much politics involved (unless you make a singer/songwriter hippie type entry... or Punk band... etc.. which of course you are free to do). Have fun, go mad :pir-laugh:

Edited by Sir Stig

my entry for category 1

Bart

Edited by Bart

A short technical question I would rather have answered in the open than in a PM.

How free am I to interpret the "16x16 maximum size"? Two examples:

1. A build on two 16x8 plates, connected by horizontal hinges. They can be folded into one compact 16x16 version, or be opened for a 32x8 diorama view.
  2. A build on two 16x8 plates, connected by pins. They can be "clicked" together to form one 16x16 build, or form two seperate 16x8 scenes.

Which of these is okay?

On 4/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, Drunknok said:

A short technical question I would rather have answered in the open than in a PM.

How free am I to interpret the "16x16 maximum size"? Two examples:

1. A build on two 16x8 plates, connected by horizontal hinges. They can be folded into one compact 16x16 version, or be opened for a 32x8 diorama view.
  2. A build on two 16x8 plates, connected by pins. They can be "clicked" together to form one 16x16 build, or form two seperate 16x8 scenes.

Which of these is okay?

Umm... I would say: Both.

So it is actually a total stud count maximum, so a maximum of 256 studs. (Personally I am very for creative solutions to any challenge).

The last weekend of preparations for the festival are here -> Category one deadline on sunday approaching.

May the winds of change take you safely to Bardo. The local inns are preparing by decorating their beds with roses, and dripping rose water on them to improve the smell. The mood is set for a memorable festival.

My entry for category 1:

Licensed as small art and culture for Mesabi Landing.

Just came back from a nice evening of ESC, booze and food. :thumbup:

The preperation for that (and the event itself) did cost me most of yesterday and today, and with only two entries total in categories 2 and 3 I ask: can we please postpone the deadline at least a day or two?

My (unlicensed) entry for category 2:

Since I will not get my entry for category 3 finished today, I would really appreaciate an extension. :classic:

An extension is granted. We can extend the deadline for category 2 and 3 with 48 hours, so the new deadline is the end of Tuesday 15th, anywhere in the world

edit: specified the deadline

Edited by Sir Stig

2 minutes ago, Sir Stig said:

An extension is granted. We can extend the deadline for category 2 and 3 with 48 hours, so the new deadline is Tuesday 15th

Thank you very much, this is good news! :thumbup:

We will extend deadline until Sunday 20th.

And to clear up any misunderstanding, you do not have to participate in category 1 in order to participate in 2 or 3.

My (unlicensed) entry for category 3:

4 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

We will extend deadline until Sunday 20th.

And to clear up any misunderstanding, you do not have to participate in category 1 in order to participate in 2 or 3.

Sweet! I might get another entry or two done then. But mostly I hope we see a lot more entreies from others! :thumbup: