40526892005_b072853fff_c.jpg3D printed 8 tooth sprocket by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Something that I have long wanted to be a part is now a reality, as I have been doing a lot of 3D printing and modeling for my college's physics and chemistry departments. There have been so many models I have built where I had to compromise the scale due to having to size up the scale to accommodate the 10t sprocket. I have uploaded the model, for all who wish to 3D print it, the printer I used was a Lulzbot TAZ 6, as this resulted in some expansion in parts being printed in PLA, so I am unsure how well the tolerences will be if someone was to print from shapeways, as this model is intended for a cheaper FDM printer.

41421955061_92aabd0317_c.jpg3D printed 8 tooth sprocket by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

40526892265_993615eae7_c.jpg3D printed 8 tooth sprocket by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

41421955101_13ef7b32e7_c.jpg3D printed 8 tooth sprocket by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Thingiverse link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2859595

I have a couple other useful ideas for parts, though I want to stay more purist with my models.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

On 4/12/2018 at 10:27 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Awesome and thanks for sharing the file! I will test it on my Lulzbot Mini.

The file is now public.

Did you try to drive it? Even with the original it could be a bit jerky if used as a rolling wheel, I'm guessing with 8 teeth it's even worse. Then again, you probably made it to be used as driving gear :-)

4 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Did you try to drive it? Even with the original it could be a bit jerky if used as a rolling wheel, I'm guessing with 8 teeth it's even worse. Then again, you probably made it to be used as driving gear :-)

Yeah my intentions are for a drive sprocket, the horrible jerky performance is true of all of the sprockets, it's just because of the the nature of the position of the track pins, they are flush with the contract surface, thus when rotating the sprocket, it causes it to be displaced vertically,

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I've just ordered a 3D printer for my own personal use so I might try making a few of these for testing. Thanks for sharing. 

22 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

@DugaldICWhat printer did you get?

I purchased a Tevo Tornado, still waiting for it to arrive. Fingers crossed later this week. 

If anyone wants to create their own parts, these are the parts I used in Autodesk Fusion 360 to cut the holes for the axles and the pins. Fusion 360 is free for students and makers, so basically anyone who won't be using it for a large business. The basic dimensions for a technic liftarm are 7.8mm tall*7.25 wide( when looking directly at the pin holes from the side, and spacing between holes is 8mm.

https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/Tommy_styrvoky/cad3d-printed-parts

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

35 minutes ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

If anyone wants to create their own parts, these are the parts I used in Autodesk Fusion 360 to cut the holes for the axles and the pins. Fusion 360 is free for students and makers, so basically anyone who won't be using it for a large business. The basic dimensions for a technic liftarm are 7.8mm tall*7.25 wide( when looking directly at the pin holes from the side, and spacing between holes is 8mm.

https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/Tommy_styrvoky/cad3d-printed-parts

Thanks soooo much for these files! I have been using Fusion 360 for a little while, and these help tremendously!

@DugaldICNice! Hope it runs well!