All mechanical and 100% LEGO Ball Counter. Numbers do not always line up perfectly because of backlash in LEGO gears but it counts every ball. I tried to minimize amount of gears but as many of you know, backlash is almost unavoidable. The wheels can be taken out the GBC to set to zero. 1:10 ratio mechanism by Parax77.

27542443018_3189370f54_c.jpg

41370867652_2a6dfaba4f_c.jpg

40518200275_bf17b855ba_c.jpg

There is a section at the end of the vid, which you almost want at the start, an angle which most people at an event would see it from, being able to see the balls pass through!

Great work!

Very good.. I've got David Manley's one built, but wasn't happy with ball feeder.. have been meaning to rework it

Yours looks a little unusual -with the number dials rotating in the opposite direction... after years of looking at odometer digits always roll in the same direction, it does look a little strange!! :)

The number dials are very well built!

Wow! Another great GBC module. As always with your creations the finishing and level of detail is perfect. The midular dials fir instance and the fact it works with two as well ... I have not grasped how the counter works, but I will look again ...

Very very cool. Your GBCs are always very interesting and well executed. As others mentioned, the modules are visually pleasing too.

I wonder if the wheels would turn more smoothly if you'd align the U-joints at the counter wheel. Have you tried?

Thanks you all for the compliments!

37 minutes ago, Ludo Visser said:

I wonder if the wheels would turn more smoothly if you'd align the U-joints at the counter wheel. Have you tried?

Not sure what you mean there, which U joints? You mean the 1x4 and 1x5 thin liftarms under the chain? These can't be aligned because the wheels turn opposite of each other. If I align them one set will already turn the next wheel at number 1 instead of number 9. I didn't want to add more gears to have the wheels turn in the same direction because of added backlash and the opposite cipher wheel turning doesn't bother me.
The cipher wheels are quite heavy with all that LEGO so I'm already happy with the way it runs now but I'm always in for improvements so please let me know if you see any.

Edited by Berthil

I mean the two U-joints that are linking the counter wheel to the long axle that runs along the module. They're in view on the right-hand side of the video at around 3:49 mark. If you align the "slits" in the joints on one axle, the power transfer is significantly more smooth. @aeh5040 has a really good demo to demonstrate this effect:

Edited by Ludo Visser

@Ludo Visser, thanks for pointing that out! I had thought of that but it would make the module longer and I had to recut the expensive 3mm hoses to longer length :)
It will also make it more difficult to unload and load the cipher wheels.

But I will try your suggestion and if the first wheel runs smoother because of it I will change the module accordingly. Thanks!

Why would that make the module longer? Just rotate one of the joints 90 degrees along it's longitudinal axis.

42 minutes ago, Ludo Visser said:

Why would that make the module longer? Just rotate one of the joints 90 degrees along it's longitudinal axis.

If that's all I will rotate one quarter. In fact I already done it and tested it. It seems to run a little bit smoother but stil sometimes the first wheel forwards 1,5 and the next a 0,5 because of gear backlash. Thanks for the tip, I will also check my other modules! I line the joints up because I think it looks nicer as I have a tic that stuff needs to be symmetrical but I wasn't aware of this side-effect :)

Edited by Berthil

Cool :classic:  I was never aware of this nonlinearity myself until the demonstration by @aeh5040. I tried it myself, of course, and since then I always catches my eye if I see them. Can't help it :wink:

@9v system great work Aron! I don't see how the wheels are build up with the 3mm hoses right? So the hoses are also missing from the parts list right?
I also placed the 'viewer' in 45 degree angle for better readability by visitors as I noticed during events people did not see a counter in it until they bended their knees.

If you agree I would like to have a look at the Studio file and see where I can make improvements?

Edited by Berthil

46 minutes ago, Berthil said:

@9v system great work Aron! I don't see how the wheels are build up with the 3mm hoses right? So the hoses are also missing from the parts list right?
I also placed the 'viewer' in 45 degree angle for better readability by visitors as I noticed during events people did not see a counter in it until they bended their knees.

If you agree I would like to have a look at the Studio file and see where I can make improvements?

yes sure i have the file i will send it to you tomorrow