yinas

Vertical mount of building plate

Hello!
I am currently trying to create a box-like build, where on all sides i want to mount building plates.

The base is 16x16, as are those vertical mounted plates.

What I figured out so far on how to mount them with minimal space, are those bricks with knobs on one side. I should probably mention that i am also limited by the availability of bricks to buy from the official LEGO shop (Austria, if you are wondering; might be relevant as brick availability differs between countries?)

I am looking for suggestions if maybe there is a better way to do this.

Requirements:

- plates need to be mounted on all 4 sides of a cube
- top side stays open
- as low profile as possible
- side-plates should sit as flush as possible with base/top
- front of plates on the side should be fully visible, as there will be additional artwork built upon them

Thank you for your feedback!

Screenshot (16).png

The simplest way is to use these ones with studs on 4 sides, 4733.pnghttps://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4733#T=S&O={"rpp":"500","iconly":0}

You can get away with just 8 for a small box, but you will probably need more for strength if building a 16x16x16 cube.

There is a new brick with studs on two adjacent sides, but these are more expensive.

The 4-sides ones are often on the PAB wall in the LEGO store too.

Edited by MAB
PAB wall.

8 minutes ago, MAB said:

There is a new brick with studs on two adjacent sides, but these are more expensive.

He could use the 1x2x1 brick with 2 studs on the front, and turn it sideways so it becomes a 2-high version of the 1x1x1 brick you are referring to.  That will probably be cheaper and more stable.

Thanks you guys already! :D

What i have used so far for my 16x16x16 cube are three lines of 3 4-knob-bricks. i hope that would be sturdy enough.

1 hour ago, fastlindyrick said:

He could use the 1x2x1 brick with 2 studs on the front, and turn it sideways so it becomes a 2-high version of the 1x1x1 brick you are referring to.  That will probably be cheaper and more stable.

I guess it depends what he can find at the LEGO store. I know my local has the black 1x1 with 4 studs in stock on the PAB wall. If plentiful, you can just use a few of these on each edge of the cube.