As you probably know, torque effect happens e.g. when a helicopter spins its rotor, and is "spun back" by the rotor in turn, proportionally to the ratio of helicopter/rotor weight. I find this effect quite fascinating and I was wondering if it can be used to steer a true monowheel left and right effectively. It took some adjustments, but the answer is: yes, it can.

Edited by Sariel

Wonderful! I guess the real trick is controlling it.:laugh: I would love to see more done with this concept in the future.

Also, kind of irrelevant, but we have the same door mats:grin:

Fascinating indeed! The driving and steering functions are in perfect balance, like is the vehicle itself :thumbup:.

For a second there i thought the otherwordly Sariel had a question, then, no...wait....he already answered it :laugh:

Great submission, fascinating indeed.....

Reminds me a bit of a project my company (a small engineering/r&d consultancy) has worked on now and then over the last couple of years, which uses the same principle for turning crane loads, but uses water as the reaction mass:

http://torquer.com/services/

(In fact, my latest bit of work for them was making a small working model version for them to take to trade shows with them - one of those rare projects that's almost too much fun to count as real work!)

I see a really cool General Greivous wheel bike in the works.  What a thought provoking build.  Thank you.

@Sariel This is simply fantastic. Your ideas are really Brilliant. I never thought that this was even possible with Lego. Its interesting to see that you have fit in 2 stormtrooper minifigs!

Edited by arijitdas
Missed something in the original post

Great implementation. I was thinking if this kind of constructions is possible for a while. Thanks for confirming it actually can be done in LEGO.