Fenghuang0296

Converting 76108 into a proper Modular?

So, if you consider the way that 76108 Battle for the Sanctum Sanctorum is designed, it's pretty clear that it was intended to be easy(ish) to convert into a Modular Building. After all, Modulars, as a rule of thumb, have more or less eight studs of space on their footpaths, and if you arrange the Sanctum in its corner formation so that each side wall is flush with the edge of a baseplate, you are conveniently left with eight studs. Add that to it being exactly three storeys tall, and the fact that it can be reconfigured to function as a 32-stud-long facade, as well as fitting perfectly with official Modulars in corner formation . . yeah, this thing is a Modular Building in disguise. 

Therefore, I am opening the floor to any who wants to share advice or strategies as to how to convert it into a proper Modular Building. There are . . okay, there are bad ideas, but very few! So, who's feeling inspired?

(Also, I figured that since this is discussing primarily Modular Buildings, it ought to go in the town section . . sorry if this should be in Licensed!)

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Here are a couple of quick photos of my conversion. I'll have more time later today if you're interested in seeing better or more detailed pictures.

40514039405_64a8f15e4a_c.jpg

40514042065_bb1d63b005_c.jpg

That medium dark flesh building looks really cool.

I think this set is a good starting point for a modular, even though you pretty much only get the facades. A little more depth would make it a lot more useful as a parts pack.

tkatt, I would LOVE to see more pictures of this! 

And that unfinished building on the right looks good too! Is it going to be a school, museum or church?

Edited by Boettner Builds

Very nice work, @tkatt. Though is the extra storey really necessary?

That said, I'd certainly like to see pictures of the interior, and of how you solved the issue of modifying it to incorporate the Technic pins necessary to attach it to other modulars. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296

My interiors are sparse at the moment, especially for the apartment. My son wants to furnish them for me. As far as the technic pins, I generally just leave them out. I like to have easy access to move buildings around and having them connected with pins made that frustrating for me. Instead I connect the buildings with sidewalk tiles.

41420164021_02b5bfa3a1_c.jpg

40706368604_c05c7e7bc6_z.jpg26548872197_bf281934cc_z.jpg

41420158441_e98ffa816c_z.jpg

26548870477_c9e31478cb_z.jpg

41377916502_c11ba9be39_c.jpg

26548868977_e95eb20dae_z.jpg

41377913672_aef0e023db.jpg26548866847_bca64e6d3b.jpg26548865467_fcf83abd5d.jpg26548864187_7d551b1b71.jpg27548894458_d0b183756f_z.jpg

I added extra floors to better fit with the city I'm working on.

41420462441_1fc6569f58_c.jpg

The work in progress (going extremely slow due to waiting for P.A.B. and B&P orders) is going to be "Hogwarts High School".

Very nice @tkatt. The extra floors make a lot more sense now, and I particularly like the inclusion of the 1x1x6 pillars on the corners of the apartment building. 

Thank you.

I like the Masonry Profile bricks, but I hate how they look when they meet in a corner. So I always hide the edges. I hope LEGO ends up producing a corner and 1x1 Masonry brick, I think it would make for cleaner looking brick-brick buildings.

Looking good. Just bougt a misb set without the figures at bricklink, so I'll see what I can come up with.

Adding an extra floor to the medium dark flesh building is a must, imho - the way it is originally designed it looks rather top heavy, since the roof is higher than the floor beneath.

To be honest, I'm not sold on the walls being medium dark flesh at all. It's just such a common colour, when the Sanctum Sanctorum should really be anything but - and, based on my rewatching of Doctor Strange, it's not even all that accurate. I'll wait until I've seen how the Sanctum looks in Infinity War before passing judgement, but the way things are, there's only one reason I haven't Bricklinked replacements for all the flesh-coloured pieces in Dark Red . .  and that's that not all of the pieces necessary currently exist in Dark Red, which is a bummer for sure . . .

Amazing work @tkatt! Your MOD is definitely the best one of Sanctum Sanctorum I've seen! 

I've never seen your other MOCs before, your MOCs are somehow unique so I'm really happy to have discovered your fantastic work! Would love to see some more detailed photos of your MOCs as you don't seem to have all of them in your photostream and the others with their latest versions! Millions of thanks! :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan

I have been eyeballing this set as well, actually pretty torn between getting 1-2 of these or finally picking up a Detective's Office.  I am not a completionist, so a DO is not ultimately crucial.  It appears that each facade is 16 studs in length, therefore it might be interesting to try and and make them into a Pet Shop configuration with 2 16x32 plots with one being the Sanctum Sanctorum, and the other being the apartment building.  I could pull the windows from the side and relocate them to the back so they could be non-corner structures.  It looks like tkatt did this with the SS, and it is a very nice conversion.  Funny thing is that I do not really keep up with Marvel.  I know who Spider Man and Iron Man are, but am not familiar with the others.  I just really like the building in that set.  

31 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I have been eyeballing this set as well, actually pretty torn between getting 1-2 of these or finally picking up a Detective's Office.  I am not a completionist, so a DO is not ultimately crucial.  It appears that each facade is 16 studs in length, therefore it might be interesting to try and and make them into a Pet Shop configuration with 2 16x32 plots with one being the Sanctum Sanctorum, and the other being the apartment building.  I could pull the windows from the side and relocate them to the back so they could be non-corner structures.  It looks like tkatt did this with the SS, and it is a very nice conversion.  Funny thing is that I do not really keep up with Marvel.  I know who Spider Man and Iron Man are, but am not familiar with the others.  I just really like the building in that set.  

I would say get this; the Detective's Office still has shelf life through 2019, possibly beyond, so you'll have other opportunities, while if the state of most of the shops I've been to is anything to go by, everyone wants the Sanctum now.

My apologies for reviving this topic but I came across a modularized SS that I think is worth sharing here. 

Sanctum Sanctorum by yellowbox777

Spoiler

There are a lot more images on his blog. What do you think about it, guys?

22 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

My apologies for reviving this topic but I came across a modularized SS that I think is worth sharing here. 

Sanctum Sanctorum by yellowbox777

Reveal hidden contents

There are a lot more images on his blog. What do you think about it, guys?

Wow that looks impressive.

I must admit I'm not that much of a fan of avengers or marvel comics in general but this set does make for a very attractive looking building.

I think if ever I had the chance to mod my own version of the set in to a full size modular, I would ditch the big round window thing on the roof and any other features that associate it with the marvel films so that it would just end up as a realistic looking modular building.

That might sound like a pretty boring option but I reckon doing this could create a really nice looking moc that would fit in well with existing modulars.

That is definitely a lot of work, but he did very well making it into a large corner structure and true to the artwork that he has.  I wonder how many sets he had to buy in order to make it that large?