Ellisss_2

[MOC] UCS Venator-Class Star Destroyer Instructions

1 hour ago, AfolFree said:

I bought the instructions yesterday and spent some time reading it, they are perfectly clear and the techniques used are smart and straight-forward.
Definitely recommend it, I especially like the fact that you were able to avoid using magnets for the bottom plates.

Thank you for your kind words, lots of work went into them!

1 hour ago, Veynom said:

Nice one, very appealing and comely affordable. 

I have a small question, is there any kind of interior or opening panels that could be used to access the inside ?

Thank you! At some point, I did come up with some sort of small interior. Essentially, I scrapped it I didn’t really see the point. I am not sure now though as we are using different panel connections. I will investigate! 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Big respect Elis!

Back in the days (I like talking like old man :D ) more than a year ago when you first started with your project, I liked your enthusiasm and dedication, but in all honesty, I would have never thought you would make it to such successful finish. Your building skills evolved significantly and the result looks good enough that even me, the eternal nitpicker, doesn't have much to point out and complain about :D

Of course, kudos to Martin for pulling out his fantastic LPub skills again. It especially pleases me to know that he is still enjoying making instructions so I can hope for some other great mocs from you getting that treatment (?) :)

Looking forward to more!

7 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

Big respect Elis!

Back in the days (I like talking like old man :D ) more than a year ago when you first started with your project, I liked your enthusiasm and dedication, but in all honesty, I would have never thought you would make it to such successful finish. Your building skills evolved significantly and the result looks good enough that even me, the eternal nitpicker, doesn't have much to point out and complain about :D

Of course, kudos to Martin for pulling out his fantastic LPub skills again. It especially pleases me to know that he is still enjoying making instructions so I can hope for some other great mocs from you getting that treatment (?) :)

Looking forward to more!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm very glad that you were nitpicky it allowed me to improve the model! I didn't think I would finish this either it was a very difficult project to begin with. I'm glad that it is now up to your standard! :)

Yes, Martin does have fantastic LPub skills, I would be lost without him! I think I will halt my V-19 to design an Invisible Hand to scale with this Venator which would be slightly shorter at 75 cm.

Thanks again,

Ellis.

Have you built with this real bricks Ellisss?  Unless my eyes mistake me, all the pictures that I can find are renderings. 

Hello, @Schneeds

I did build an early version quite some time ago. Here is a half built version from Thire 5 as we had to ensure the model worked which is pictured below:

venator-wip.jpg

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

Hey,

I uploaded some previews from the instructions if you want to see how it looks like :wink: 

I noticed that some instruction makers use part-fade-out, the parts from previous steps are all grayed out or half transparent so as you can see only the actual parts. It can help to see new parts on a big models. What do you guys prefer ? 

UCS Venator-Class Star Destroyer (instructions)

7 hours ago, szimson said:

It would be nice to see some pics of built model. otherwise, amazing job guys!

Thank you for the kind words, I hope there will be a fully built model soon!

Edited by Ellisss_2

^^^ I am not the biggest fan of part fadeout. It makes some sense but it is unlike Lego manuals and that is what I am used to. I think it depends much more on making each building step plausible, so there is not to many pieces added at once that would create some confusion. It actually takes a good skill to lay out building steps to feel good. I think that people can't really appreciate that enough until they try to make instructions for complex model themselves.

I’d recommend doing part fadeout because then you can make more complex steps/smaller file size

Some more physical build progress!

Thank you to all those that have bought the instructions, thirteen copies have been sold to date!

Venator Physical Build (almost finished)

(Photo credit: Thire5)

Thanks for viewing, Ellis. 

After i saw the  post in Facebook Lego Star Wars Fans from Martin. I know one thing, i need to have this Venator. Martin did a great job by creating this instruction, it is really easy to follow and it is a good alternativ to the Venator from ANIO (i also have this one).

As i said it is a great design and i am looking forward, to see the next projects from Ellis and Friends.

Here are some pics from the Venator and you will also see pics from this Venator and the Version from ANIO, enjoy it.

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0370.jpgIMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

Edited by Stefan25683

Hello, Stefan.

Wow, I'm glad you enjoyed the build, it looks great with Anio's model! Thank you for purchasing the instructions and building the model it means a lot!

Hopefully there will be more designs to come in the near future!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Finally finished this awesome beast of a Venator quick pic before I tidy it up and then go a decent shot for the collection.  Great fun and excellent guide - top job chaps!

ellisss_ucs_venator_hold0511.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

On 7/2/2018 at 4:28 PM, Hold0511 said:

Finally finished this awesome beast of a Venator quick pic before I tidy it up and then go a decent shot for the collection.  Great fun and excellent guide - top job chaps!

<snip>

Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience, much appreciated!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by BEAVeR
Please don't quote images

The build was straight forward, the instructions very clear - the odd moment of finding where to add the 1x2 LBG plate but flicking ahead a step always sorted that out for me.  I found the hardest steps where adding the two top side elements into their three hinges - in the end I eased the middle top section off the supporting elements and that made it easier.  The two areas I need to review again are the two largest engines - a bit droopy, not sure I tightened up the axles right - and the four sets of hinged flap end elements on the top/bottoms which I keep knocking off when trying to angle them up/down.

Hope the V19 is still on the go - we can't have too much Clone wars era stuff.

hi, are there any interior features?

and how much would the pieces cost?

anyways great model! really  like how you made the republic symbol!

Cost depends on what bricks you have already, would you be buying new / used, your location, were you get your lego and how particular you are on the hidden internal build colours.

I priced it up at £270 for all the 2853 parts (UK based) based on a mix of new/used bricks (e.g. any condition for internal pieces, new for transparent/tiles etc) once I'd then sorted through what I already in my spare parts I was down to about £190 (I tended to have the pieces but in the wrong colours) .

You could colour swap on the internal pieces which are not seen as well but I did not bother to do that.

No internal features - its a display model only. 

Edited by Hold0511

On 7/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, Hold0511 said:

The build was straight forward, the instructions very clear - the odd moment of finding where to add the 1x2 LBG plate but flicking ahead a step always sorted that out for me.  I found the hardest steps where adding the two top side elements into their three hinges - in the end I eased the middle top section off the supporting elements and that made it easier.  The two areas I need to review again are the two largest engines - a bit droopy, not sure I tightened up the axles right - and the four sets of hinged flap end elements on the top/bottoms which I keep knocking off when trying to angle them up/down.

Hope the V19 is still on the go - we can't have too much Clone wars era stuff.

Thank you for your constructive comments on the instructions and model!

The V-19 is kind of on hold at the minute, and an Acclamator is currently in works. 

22 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

hi, are there any interior features?

and how much would the pieces cost?

anyways great model! really  like how you made the republic symbol!

Hello, there was little interior room although you could modify it to put a few small sections in which I remember doing once but scrapping.

Hold is correct with the approximate pricing, if you are looking for dollars I estimate it to be somewhere around $350-$400.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it the symbol was Thire5's idea and I love it too!

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Kind regards,

Ellis.

5 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Acclamator is currently in works. 

And the day gets better - an Acclamator would nicely balance up my other shelf....I look forward to that making its its debut!