Sign in to follow this  
Lefti

[HELP] Detecting Fake Dog Bone Liftarm

Hello everyone, 

I recently back into the Lego world after 18 years.

I purchased some parts from bricklink, specifically the, Technic, Liftarm 3 X 5 Perpendicular H-Shape Thick

I was wondering if there is any Lego print/marking on the specific pieces that can tell me if it is a genuine part. I checked them all around and could not see anything at all. 

I am just a bit worried that I paid for counterfeit lego pieces.

Thank you in advance

It's extremely unlikely to get counterfeit LEGO pieces from Bricklink. A seller who sells counterfeit stuff would surely have lots of negative feedback, and every seller's feedback is publicly available for you to check.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think they a are counterfeit? If you bought from a reputable seller with good feedback I'd say the chances they are counterfeit are very slim.

Edited by dmcc0
Spelling

If you have real good eyes, or a magnifying glas, you can see part number on one of the recessions on the 3long T's and Lego on the other T'long.

On the pic you linked if compared, my 14720 has the mould dot on right side of the middle.

Part number between stud holes top and mid on the left leg.

Lego logo between the right legs top and mid stud hole.

9 minutes ago, Sariel said:

It's extremely unlikely to get counterfeit LEGO pieces from Bricklink. A seller who sells counterfeit stuff would surely have lots of negative feedback, and every seller's feedback is publicly available for you to check.

I have recently bought ~15 yellow liftarms marked as new from one BL shop and one of them was very odd - different color and material. I have looked on it with magnifying glass and there were no marks on it. The seller was quite helpful so I left it, but it can happen

Thanks @Shiva, found them both. 

As a general note, nothing really made me doubt the seller, but after reading many stories about counterfeit lego online, and being absent from the hobby for so long, I was kind of nervous regarding spare parts purchases.

Thank you all for your comments.

I have received China parts from bricklink twice now in 70 something orders. You'll spot them immediately if you do receive them. If you are worried about fakes, buy them at Bricks and Pieces and lego.com. Sometimes they're cheaper too.

I haven’t gotten any knockoffs from Bricklink, but I have gotten quite a few from bulk dumps. Look for odd colors, shrunken pieces, and parts that seem to be made of other materials.

Hmmmm....look more for other materials and shape.   Careful with various shades of color. Genuine Lego parts are also known to have high color variation.  

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Hmmmm....look more for other materials and shape.   Careful with various shades of color. Genuine Lego parts are also known to have high color variation.  

The only major color variations I have seen are on the new VW Beetle dark azure. Some parts are lighter than others.

18 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The only major color variations I have seen are on the new VW Beetle dark azure. Some parts are lighter than others.

There are actually many.  Yellow is notorious for high shade variation.

Blue is another one. It's incredibly noticeable on almost all blue sets/MOCs. I haven't noticed yellow though. But maybe because I don't have anything yellow assembled right now :grin:.

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

There are actually many.  Yellow is notorious for high shade variation.

Yes, and sometimes red parts have significant variation of shades :wink:

yes and you can even weight the bricks and using a magnify glass you can spot a Lego brand on there somewhere but I dont have that part to tell 

Looked on dogbones I have, doesn't noticed Lego logo on any of them. I have only originals, because haven't bought them separately, all are acquired with official sets.

Some had some bigger hole, some smaller from molding injection point. On all of them was pretty noticeable middle line, where both parts of pressform comes together.

Jurrs, the Lego Logo and part number are quite hidden on those dogbones. Lefti did find the logo and part number on his pieces.

@Shiva I checked some 5, I can't find logo or any number. I found logo even on short blue pin with hole, but nowhere on these.

@Lefti where did You found logo and number on dogbone? 

Maybe those are fake :D they just put logo on number, som they look like real :)

Maybe some older had logo and number on them?

I have checked all these parts I have, which ALL obtained via Lego Technic sets and cannot find any marks on them.

Maybe. I need to go to SpecSavers ! !

Edited by Doug72

I found LEGO logo deep inside between two holes:

lego_logo.jpeg

These came from LUGBULK, so 100% LEGO.

Doug72, SpecSavers or good lightning and a magnifying glass.

And while I am writing this zux posts a pic. I'll anyway add the picture I prepared earlier.

Nope, upload failed.

As zux picture shows, the Logo and number are in the deep holes /resessions between the Lego stud holes. Opposite sides of each other. "opposite legs of the piece."

Edited by Shiva