Sign in to follow this  
Jordino

Special Turning Mechanism for Crawler Crane

I am working on a creation of combining the 42070 6x6 tow truck and the 42042 crawler crane by putting the crane on the back of the truck. It is mostly complete, and I'm just detailing it at this point. There is only one problem with it, though. I made the crane fully automized by removing all of the gears in the back half of the crane and put motors there instead. I also had to move the large turnable rotating piece on the bottom of the crane forward and matched the teeth on the edge with the tan 12t bevel gear. It turns, but the teeth slip and it turns a little too fast, which I couldn't solve. I removed all of the gears for turning and the turnable and tried putting in this:

and connected it to some gears to gear it down, but it didn't even turn under the weight of the crane. Any ideas to make it work? Also, an L motor is powering it

Edited by Jordino

Here is a picture of the back half of the crane opened up and zoomed in on the gears and motor (With the motor detatched to show the gears)

20180409_162457

And an image of the interior of the crane where the gears would go to turn the turnable. The axle going horizontally is the axle in the bottom right of the image above, and the axle going vertical is from the turnable with the teeth in the middle, not the original.

20180409_163218

Edited by Jordino

You should use a new Z60 turntable with some bevel gears. The old turntables (ie the one you are using now) have way too much friction for 8t gears. Also, that 24t gear must be rubbing against the red bent liftarm, which adds lots of stress to the mechanism. Your planetary setup also impairs good attachment of the turntable to your superstructure.

Good luck and welcome to Eurobricks!