helos

MOC: Cove Market, fish and vegetable harbor market

First time I post here. I generally build trains moc, related buildings and accessories. Now I'm courious to know what do you think about this moc I made to complete the harbor area in our  diorama city at Model Expo, our lug main event which was on March 17 / 18th. (you can see something else, a huge Dolomite mountain here in the Train Tech )
When we made the project, we had an harbor full of cranes, containers, hopper wagons, industrial plants and so on, but nothing for reproducing  something like a little village of fishermen or something else to put near the new Lego set of fisherman house. While my daughetr and his boyfriend were building up that set and I had only to watch them (it was MY Christmas gift :cry_sad:), I thought to build a market of fish and vegetables to put beside. At least something to build on the topics with the instructions only on my mind!:wink:

It was funny and unusual to me searching into BL for finding fishes, lobsters, cherries, carrots and other "strange" Lego pieces that I never considered before. I went to a fellow of my group for rummaging among the  peces of her "Friends" collection . Found watermelons, juice packs,   commercial insignias  and other usefull pieces. I also found a very interesting box full of white old used Lego pieces ready for the trash.
As I experienced yet, did a mix of new and used pieces for the buildings with good effect to my taste. Found even a shark head into an Harry Potter big mix: at first I thought  it was a broken piece but  at the end found a reusage.
Unfortunately we had only a day for setting up the diorama of nearly 30 meters full of moc, trains, carousels and a reproduction of a Dolomite, so we couldn't finish well the pier to merge the old fishing store and the market as we lost the little bag with pieces. 

Two months for gathering into a large box the pieces I thought suitable then five evening sessions of building up. Thanks to my fellow Jader who supplied the minifigures, as I'm not so teached about. Of course lots of particular to improve and your comments to consider.

Well here it is:
covem0184223.jpg

the fish work and exposure area
covem0184225.jpg

great catch and a very kich insignia

covem0184228.jpg

the vegeables and fruits area

covem0184226.jpg

covem0184230.jpg

The people

covem0184227.jpg

The ice creams and sweets vendor machine 

covem0184229.jpg

An old warehouse needed a modern refrigerator to preserve the fresh fish. A quicly solution came out  with a container from my trains collection, a bit inclined for liquids draining.

covem0184231.jpg

Edited by helos

Wonderful build! The whole layout is full of life and little details. Lots of great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that's huge. I always wanted to build some working town, village or port, but never had time to really start. Great job!

This looks fantastic. There is so much detail and so much going on, you've captured the hustle and bustle of a harbor/port really well. :classic:

Amazing! So many things to admire here! The not completely pushed plates works really nice here! Great work! :thumbup:

Very impressive! This looks really like a slice of real-life in Lego style. So much to see and discover.:thumbup: I just feel sorry for the poor sharkies! :wink:

Great work! I loved the market, and the vending machine, it is pretty cool! I'm a Portuguese living abroad, and watching this, made me home sick... I'm also courious, how did you "elevate" the Bait Shop baseplate, in order to align with the bricks you have on the blue baseplate?

A-m-a-z-i-n-g! Great use of old and discoloured bricks, so many details! Well done!

The newspaper box, the many types of carrots and other vegetables, and mixing of themes to include well-known (to me) Friends pieces really round out full scenes in your huge diorama.  Excellent!  I am inspired by many of your ideas.  Thanks!

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

Thank you so much guys for your comments. I very appreciate them and I'm glad you like the details. I try to capture the elements that characterize a scene or subject, perhaps because I  was also a  modeller , even if with Legos it's more difficult. Recently I was on an island and of course went to the fish and fruit market. I thought:
 this seems to me  like I've already seen it somewhere!:grin: There were also many beautiful big umbrellas with  hundreds color. You can't have everything!

I also couldn't  imagine  positive comments for using old, discolored and scratched bricks as many people do not like these mixes to give an aged look  to buildings. I think instead that they work well if  used with moderation.
Now there are a couple of buildings missing to complete this little village, some little scenes and a small fleet of fishing boats. The only one there is 
came out by modifying a Creator set .
Thank you all again.

46 minutes ago, beverly888 said:

The newspaper box, the many types of carrots and other vegetables, and mixing of themes to include well-known (to me) Friends pieces really round out full scenes in your huge diorama.  Excellent!  I am inspired by many of your ideas.  Thanks!

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

Sara, a friend of mine and a "Friends" entusiasth like you, was not very happy when I went to her home searching for inspiration but, above all,  pieces among her collection. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Marinho said:

Great work! I loved the market, and the vending machine, it is pretty cool! I'm a Portuguese living abroad, and watching this, made me home sick... I'm also courious, how did you "elevate" the Bait Shop baseplate, in order to align with the bricks you have on the blue baseplate?

Nice and colorful places in your Home Country! The baseplate of the Old Fishing Store and the other baseplates are on the exhibition tables. It's the sea who is lowered of 2 bricks. We developed this simply solution for giving to the harbor a more realistic look, to increase the tridimensionality.
This is the scheme:

eCOPB7n.jpg

Beautiful build! So many cool details throughout the build! Even the worn bricks add a very nice level of detail. Keep up the great work!

Really love the use of older and off coloured pieces for the warehouse. It really gives it this worn, aging look that's hard to pull off. The parts usage is also really wonderful. I noticed some Harry Potter and Ninjago pieces for the butchered fish and sea life, and they really helped make the scene pop. I'm also really in love with the little vending machine next to the warehouse. It's got some great SNOT techniques and I'd love to see how you built it if only to put one on my own harbour scene. :blush:

Great stuff! :thumbup:

So many beautiful details ...I love to see your MOC also in the town forum becaus town and train are the two faces of the same medal! :classic:

The picture with the big fish sliced into parts is gorgeous and the old warehouse has a nostalgic architecture :wub::wub: ...BRAVISSIMO!!! :thumbup:

Nice to see you keep some bricks dirty to make it more in the fashion of an outdoor market.

Like to ‘contact’ Helos!  Cannot open these pictures; would like to see them; as they are ‘scenes’ that are in line with what I like to place in my MOCs of fishing related structures and harbor (life). The descriptions and related comments sound ‘so real-life’.

If anyone can help, sure would appreciate it!!!

THANKS!!!