EEZ

[HELP] Buying RC Train Track

Hey All -

I'm new and there is probably a thread here somewhere that answers my questions, so I apologize in advance for asking before really looking.  I started buying and building the 66051, 60052 and others with some vague idea that I'd find a spot in the house and set up a fun layout.  As a young man in the 70's I got into slot cars and I think I had some idea of incorporating those track layout concepts with the Lego trains.  I like spirals as a method of changing levels and I'd like three levels - I keep seeing these videos online of people making these really long layouts that run from room to room in a house.  I am determined to take a trip to visit the grandkids and take enough track that we can do a full house layout - 

With that kind of goal in mind I started looking and just buying pieces of track they cost 1.25 and up.  I was hoping there would be a way to buy it bulk and get a better price but so far I haven't seen anything that looks workable.  I'm an old dude on a fixed income - where do those folks in the videos get all that track????  Garage sales and flea markets?????

Any advice you can give would be warmly welcomed.  If I'm way out of line thinking I could do this for a few hundred dollars I need to know.  

I have high hopes for my layout and hope to soon share a vid of it -

Thanks in advance

EZ

53 minutes ago, EEZ said:

With that kind of goal in mind I started looking and just buying pieces of track they cost 1.25 and up.

Please share where you can find them that cheap! Straights are gonna run about $2.25 and up on Bricklink and ebay. So while Legos are considered a toy and this just a hobby, it can be an expensive one. You gotta pay to play.

3D printed tracks:  TrxBrix.eu or 4Dbrix.

Tracks from injection molds:  brickTracks

Join a LUG (Lego User Group) and try to take advantage of a LUG bulk purchase. Don't know if/when track is available for LUG bulk though, nor what the price per track will be. But that, I have heard, from friends in LUGs as one of the best ways to get bulk track for more reasonable then ebay/Bricklink.

Hi EZ,

you can get cheap track with very decent quality from Aliexpress, e.g. here: Link

I have bought there twice and was very happy with the quality of the track and the delivery as well.

I'd like to note that from my understanding bulk bricks/tracks like these do not infringe the IP of Lego.

7 hours ago, ALCO said:

Join ...

Did you read the terms and conditions? You violated them and thus I reported your post. Playmobil's collectors club was shut down because of people who couldn't keep their mouths shut. Was that clear enough?

16 hours ago, 3797 said:

Did you read the terms and conditions? You violated them and thus I reported your post. Playmobil's collectors club was shut down because of people who couldn't keep their mouths shut. Was that clear enough?

LEGO actively encourages the joining a LUG and the discussion of LUGBulk you just cannot discuss the prices offered. If you have worked in any retail business you will soon realize that any of these type of programs will give a discount. The specific discount is always kept secret. 

Edited by supertruper1988

LUGBulk is openly discussed on the interwebs, so I highly doubt it is to be kept a secret. Like @supertruper1988, the prices are not to be discussed.

@3797 Please send me the terms and conditions if you still think it's stated otherwise.

thanks for the info and I apologize for the apparent conflict the topic started.  I've found the info I need - Sorry but I won't be back to this site - I'm disabling my membership to this board.  The polarization of our country is at an all time high - seems like whether your on the highway or in the grocery store or reading the news online it's a constant barrage of controversy and arguments.  I participate in Legos partly for the fun I have with the grandkids but also because I don't find any of that national conflict argument crap in them.  To find here, on a lego site when discussing plastic toys is ludicrous.

Have fun kids.

Thanks for the info

EZ

20 hours ago, 3797 said:

Did you read the terms and conditions? 

Thanks for the warning. A PM heads up would have been nice with a link to the specific statute violated and an opportunity to edit my post. Ah well, what's done is done and we can only go forward from here, eh? Do please send me what you rules you had in mind and I would be happy to review them and edit my post if I am in error. Though, I cannot imagine why TLG would want to keep LUG's all hush-hush when members, I would assume, tend to spend more money at TLG.

And thanks for scaring off the new guy! That was smart.

Oh my ...

Could somebody please clarify what this ... outrage is about? As ALCO said: We are talking about pieces of dumb plastic pieces from dumb molding machines that folks turn simply into magical things.

Man, sometimes I hate the internet. Too many keyboard keys pressed way too fast. First think and think again, then judge, then think, then gauge, then press keys. 

I feel bad about EEZ leaving this forum. I can clearly see what he is talking about. We should not "accept" what he is writing because it is not reflecting what this website is about. We should get him back. And show him, what this community is about. 

As I have been warned here once on EB for not going along the lines of this forum (and still do appreciate that >very much<) : How about calming down before hitting the keys, how about thinking about what a message may mean to others, how about gauging first who is asking for advice with what kind of background? When new members explicitly state that they are new and they have questions which are >apparently< surprising, then why not answering in a most polite way? When I was joining EB I didn't know sh*t about so many things. I have learned here. As I do every day. In a very welcoming and comfortable way. The phrasing could be "Why don't you try this", "did you look there", "have you seen that", "this may be a bad idea because of this, this and that"?

And leave all the legal stuff to the folks who'll never get what LEGO is all about.

Best regards,
Thorsten 

Have I missed something? A disagreement regarding the terms of LugBulk and people are leaving the forum? No idea how that ties into any ‘national conflict’ thing, have entire posts been removed?

Anyway, the only way I’ve been able to get cheaper track is to hold out for deals on the existing packs (though that does mean I have more flexi track than I’ll ever need) or getting lucky on eBay. Both require patience and the latter is endlessly frustrating but I’m in no rush... :)

2 minutes ago, PeteM said:

Have I missed something? A disagreement regarding the terms of LugBulk and people are leaving the forum? No idea how that ties into any ‘national conflict’ thing, have entire posts been removed?

Nope. I am not sure either. But let's stick to the original question and we'll be fine :sweet:

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Nope. I am not sure either. But let's stick to the original question and we'll be fine :sweet:

Agreed :)

Are tracks available individually through Bricks and Pieces? I assume that wouldn’t necessarily be better or cheaper than buying 7499, though I would at least not have so much flexi track hanging about...

Did I read somewhere that they were rejigging the packs to go back to the ‘straights and curves’ assortment?

13 minutes ago, PeteM said:

Did I read somewhere that they were rejigging the packs to go back to the ‘straights and curves’ assortment?

Not sure what the actual image was, but here some people dissected it: