NathanR

Does the tile-in-clip technique damage the parts?

When Lego redesigned the 1x1 tile with clip (15712) to be rounded like a minifigure hand, it became possible to wedge a tile inside the clip.  However, this technique seems to have been used only rarely, I'm only aware of it appearing in the retired UCS Shield Helicarrier (76042, for the nanofigure control room) and the Creator Blue Jet (31039, for the heads up display).  I've not even seen this used in many MOC's, so my first question is, why not, is it bad for the parts?

I was hoping to use this technique on a MOC with 1x2 grille tiles to represent micro-scale safety railings:

640x358.jpg

However, in real life the tile-in-clip assembly is very stiff.  It's hard to get the tile into the clips, though it does snap in.  However, the tile seems to prefer sitting in the clip at an angle (as done in the helicarrier) instead of going in straight (like the heads up display on the creator Blue Jet).  

So is this technique really "legitimate"? Does it strain or damage the parts? Is it safe to do this to the grille tiles, which have much less plastic to force apart the clip?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts or see MOCs where this has been done.

I've seen it in 2 other sets I believe, as a letter-printed tile standing on desks.

If Lego does it, it most likely doesn't stress the tile. But it's not hard to get the tile into the clip, you do it at an angle, then you rotate it.

Some say it's valid because tiles have a groove, which is quite possible.
The day Lego started doing it, I went for it for the "eyelids" of my AT-ST, but I try to avoid it.

Oh and I've also read that Lego now does it after having redesigned the tile+clip (which I find pretty ugly, especially with that nasty sprue mark. Probably why prices for the old version have rised), but I doubt it, because the interior has to be the same. I mean, bar-sized is bar-sized. Perhaps the new one is safer if you try to insert it without rotating, like kids will probably do.

Edited by anothergol

There is one way to find out the long term effect of using that new clip that way.  Try it and report back.  :classic:  I think it should be ok, the clips are compressing the bottom edge of the grille the same way as the tiles in the Helicarrier. It  doesn't take as much force to put a piece into the new style clip compared to the old style.

I don't think it damages the clip, any more than putting a round cross section bar in the clip. The stress is mainly on putting the piece in / taking it out. Once it is in, I doubt that there is any additional stress compared to a bar in it.

I think the question is more if it damages the tile. I'd say it probably does to a degree, since the tile isn't round, it's pressure on its corners. But I doubt it'd be visible.

Now, since it's about tiles, it's usually about printed tiles. I'd be more worried about scratching the paint while inserting it.

It is a risky connection. I've rarely had clips break from this connection before, but it does happen. 

I have broken clips when trying to insert a regular plate (rookie mistake) but never with a tile. I tend to leave them at a slight angle, since there seems to be more tension when I turn them straight up, but the harp in the above example holds it vertically. :shrug_confused:

Plates can't fit in the clip because they are too thick, the tile works because of the groove at the base making the outer edge a little shorter.  I don't like these newer tile-with-clips, they've been redesigned to look like a minifigure hand and so accept tiles (which the old version couldn't) but I recently had one break just by snapping a 3mm bar into it...

I'm still debating whether to use this technique for the Apollo LUT or not.  You see, with 17 levels, four sides, and four grilles per side, that's about 270 grilles held in place by about 540 1x1 tile with clips... Aside from the expense (~70€), I don't know if this would hold up long term.  Unfortunately I can't find any other way of showing a safety railing.

The new clips have been a mixed bag on quality. I have had some take tiles with ease and others break just from a bar. Those that are ok remain fine though.