Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] American M24 Chaffee Light Tank

I know very few people are paying attention to this, but I did want to post a small update regardless. I was very unhappy with the original turret - it was too big, very complex, fragile, and lacked the ability to mount an opening hatch (or minifigure). The supports for it also gobbled up all the interior space... and I like to have usable inside areas because I'm a big kid, and feel like models are incomplete without play features.

All of that is remedied with the 2.0 version, which has a lift-out under the turret, a functioning hatch, and happens to be both smaller and - IMO - far more closely aligned to the shape of the real thing.

weZZl2p.png

40MKS30.png

Completely rebuilt the front end, moved the turret forward one stud. Now I feel like this is as good as is possible (for me) at this scale.

l20YoeV.png

K0mlR1G.png

VLnbxG4.png

PZaPzJN.png

t96mYEs.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Amazing model with a lot of attention to detail. I really like the fact that You keep upgrading it so it gets better and better

9 hours ago, jakbar said:

Amazing model with a lot of attention to detail. I really like the fact that You keep upgrading it so it gets better and better

Thanks! I went ahead and lowered the tracks by one plate level, thus lifting the tank slightly - I feel like this helps the proportions immensely, and also allows for some prototype-accurate strut detailing on the underframe.

I plan to build the model - question is: tan or white? The Chaffee wasn't introduced into the European theater until 1944, and it saw its most extensive combat at the Battle of the Bulge (and later in the Korean War), so white might actually be more accurate, even if it probably doesn't look quite as good. Anyone have any opinions?

RdylcCB.jpg

Yt1F1z6.png

Oddly enough, another possibility is dark green, which I had originally ruled out because I just figured those parts wouldn't exist. Aside from the black gun, it apparently is possible. Sigh. I can never make up my mind on things like this:

JuLjUni.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

7 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I can never make up my mind on things like this

I can really understand You, I often feel the same :wink:

I think that You could go with dark green. Then You could've put some leaves on it to act as camouflage etc... It might fit really nice with some forest scenery if I can suggest that.