• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

40540786004_874813df94_c.jpg

INTRODUCTION
Nautical vessels aren't new to LEGO Technic. Back in 1996 TLG released the 8223 Hydrofoil 7, no studless yet, of course! After that, the company released a number of Harbour sets in the Technic theme, a total of 10 of them so far, actually!
Some of these sets have decent size, the biggest brick built one was the 8824 Supply Ship, from 1992, containing around 580 parts.
The biggest ever was the 2017 42064 Ocean Explorer, with over 1300 parts.

Three of these Harbor Sets contained the infamous Technic Figures.

Let's see how this new Harbor vessel lives up to the expectations.

Note: All images can be clicked for hi-res versions.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 42076
Title: Hovercraft
Theme: Technic
Released: 2018
Part Count: 1020
Box Weight: 1376 gr
Box Dimensions: 47,8 cm x 28,2 cm x 7,4 cm
Set Price (MSRP): € 69,99
Price per Part: € 0,069
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX
The box measures 47,8 cm x 28,2 cm x 7,4 cm and weighs around 1376 grams.

27381634908_447773b1fb_c.jpg

THE FRONT
The front of the box shows our Hovercraft and its Truck with cargo box, docked on some inhospitable shore. The Hovercraft has lowered its ramp and the truck is driving off the Hovercraft.
The box states that this model is for the age of 9 till 16. More importantly, the 2-models in-1 logo is clearly visible, which means this set can be used to build two different models.
In the lower right corner there's a image with the dimension of the model. It's 40cm long.
There is also a note stating that this "model does not float - not for use in water".

39446090060_355882704c_c.jpg

THE BACK
The back side of the box shows the functions of the main model on the left side, and also a B model, and its functions, on the right side.
B model is a "Speedy Jet Boat", with a helicopter and a small truck with crane.

26382990367_38f844f5bf_c.jpg

THE SIDE
One of the sides shows a picture of the main model, and one of the fans/turbines in actual size.

27381632188_a8a1474262_c.jpg

CONTENT OF THE BOX
The box contains:

• 1 Instruction Booklet
  • 1 Sticker Sheet
  • 8 Bags

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET
The instruction booklet for the main model.

26382949377_c01d4d3c0d_c.jpg

Random page of the instruction booklet.

40359246145_9908c66a76_c.jpg

Numbered bags in building

41211681292_2cb3937985_c.jpg

STICKER SHEET
The sticker sheet is neatly packed into the instruction booklet.

26382933837_bb810c7f1e_c.jpg

TIRES
Six + two tires are provided.
Six of the 30.4 x 14 tires, released in 80 sets so far.

26382938917_ce0b93c685_c.jpg

Also, two of the 17.5mm D. x 6mm, released in 42 sets so far.

BAGS
A total of eight bags containing the rest of the parts.
Note: the bags are listed by their size, not by the bag's number.

40540834214_c663814491_n.jpg
40540832894_cf37bcd849_n.jpg
40540831694_0f0667a43f_n.jpg
40359294165_d5b42caa61_n.jpg
41211717152_db69b6e8c8_n.jpg
41211716182_1a7cd2171c_n.jpg
40540824544_1f1a41b133_n.jpg
41211714472_3676a85d10_n.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS
This section describes the new and/or interesting parts.

White Liftarm 1 x 2 Thick
White 1x2 Liftarm. We got two pieces in this set. So far, in this color, it has been released in this set only.

41211678212_9e48f8dfa5_z.jpg

White Axle and Pin Connector Hub with 1 Axle
White connector with axle. We got two pieces in this set. So far, it has been released in only two sets: this one, and in 2018 31076 Daredevil Stunt Plane (contains three pieces).

41211677992_39ff8af11d_z.jpg

Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and 1L Axle in RED
This 3L Axle Pin has never been released in red before for general public and easily obtainable. This year, it was released in 8 sets in this color, and it was also released in one set in 2017, The Nutcracker (Lego 2017 Employee Exclusive).

39830974805_10bc96db5e_n.jpg

PART LIST
This set contains 1020 parts, which are shown below.

26382936177_c557cff436_c.jpg

26382938107_4acf9c27d9_c.jpg

THE HOVERCRAFT'S TRUCK
This small truck is used to haul the cargo box.
The truck is very simple, has odd shape, but it also has two functions: steering, and suspension on the back axle.

I don't like how it looks.
It looks too futuristic, and its front part is too low to the ground, compared to the back.

26382925667_def6930e0d_c.jpg

Back section has its own problems. Again, it has that "racer" look, and ground clearance on the back axle is very low.

26382931277_54ab3e5b51_c.jpg

FUNCTIONS

Steering
By turning the black double bevel gear on the top of the cabine, you can steer the wheels on the front axle.
Steering lock is not great, which limits playability, but it works.
Here you can see it in action.

KMLjLOx.gif

Suspension
Suspension is done via one light bluish gray shock absorber. Suspension travel is limited on purpose, but more than enough.
When cargo box is loaded onto the truck, the suspension still can achieve its full motion.
Here you can see it in action.

n75EDMp.gif

Cargo box
The box has a footprint of 5x7 studs, and fits perfectly to the truck's flatbed.
Thanks to the blue half pins, it is locked in place, and can't slide off, if the driver is in a hurry.

26382929227_dffd41a34a_z.jpg

Leftover parts after building the truck.

40359250865_ff369fba93_z.jpg

Compared with the 42084: Hook Loader
I prefer the red one. It looks like a truck. And it can haul the cargo box, too. It is also red, black and gray, like the Hovercraft itself.

26382928287_1bf5cbd0ef_c.jpg

HOVERCRAFT

THE BUILD
Building the Hovercraft was enjoyable and easy, interesting enough to keep you wondering about the next step.
From the very beginning we start with the chassis and the driving/propellers mechanism.

27381631888_c975e52e6b_c.jpg

The model is basically hollow. By adding these eight panels, we really quickly got the main deck settled.
Added mechanism for the propellers' steering/pointing.

39446082140_00d7f2fecd_c.jpg

Installing the actuators' drive to power the ramp. Also added the black double bevel gears on the right, which operates both the "steering" of the propellers, and the 17.5mm D. x 6mm wheels.
We actually steer the model via the wheels, but visually, all we can see is the propellers turning. Nice. (You can see the wheels on the underside shot later)

39446080450_be28f6ab54_c.jpg

Side skirt added, as well as red structure for the crane tower/bridge.

39446078550_1c6bfe2312_c.jpg

FINISHED MODEL
I hereby present to you, the finished Hovercraft! The set is a bit different from what we used to see in Technic, which is usually a good thing.
Thanks to the smooth liftarms and panels, It does look like a real hovercraft.
What I like, is the fact that the designers tried to keep axles (that power the ramp and propellers) barely visible on the deck, and keep it clean and usable.

41255241691_c36c54eaa3_c.jpg

It has nice color combo, too. Black, LBG, red and white makes it a visually pleasing model. Stickers does make a difference here.

41255239411_d3e9d8aa71_c.jpg

Here we can see the crane, behind the cab. It is used to lift the cargo box from the truck. More on that later.

41211695832_1f8f10623a_c.jpg

Back side of the vehicle is also okay. Interesting use of parts for the propellers housing.

40540789984_0965095d66_c.jpg

Side view. Everything okay. Symmetrical model, side skirts really make it look oval.

41255237521_16e9095de0_c.jpg

Underside shot. As noted before, this is a hollow model, but it has everything it needs.

41211667052_74d55b01c9_c.jpg

Leftover parts after finishing the Hovercraft build.

40359252495_d7b2bc1300_z.jpg

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS
This model has the following features:

• Steering via Hand of God. Steering knob controls both the actual wheels, and the orientation of the back propellers. :thumbup:
  • By pushing the model, we put the propellers in motion. They are connected to the wheels on the ground. They wiggle left and right rapidly when being used. :thumbdown:
  • Lowering and lifting the ramp. Slow to lower and raise. Two small linear actuators are used for this task, operated by two small double bevel gears, one on each side of the Hovercraft. :thumbup:
  • Cabin slides left and right, no mechanism for that. You need to push or pull the cabine. :thumbdown:
  • Crane can lower itself to pick up and lift the cargo box up. Crane is operated by one double bevel gear. Works okay, but hard to use properly. :sceptic:

Now, lets see the functions as shown in the instructions booklet.

40359241375_a3e5e57a5e_c.jpg

40359237695_69d3f7ee0f_c.jpg

STEERING
Works smooth, nice range of motion.
Operated via the black double bevel gear on the deck of the model.
As noted, the same gear, when used, steers the wheels on the ground, effectively steering the whole Hovercraft, if you choose to push it.

UyLXgRo.gif

THE RAMP
It needs a good deal of cranking to achieve its full range of motion.

3d6yocU.gif

CRANE
Smooth, very simple, works as intended, but hard to actually catch the cargo box, due to lack of space.

7x02Rvc.gif

CABINE SHIFTING
Basically you will use this function to "catch" the cargo box with the crane. No mechanism, you move the cabine with the hand.

06wlopC.gif

ACTION
This is how it looks when we want to pick the cargo box from the truck. You can see the lack of space between the crane tower and the truck.

GLPTZck.gif

DETAILS
Very nice design of the cabine with so little parts. Note the curved "windshield" and safety railing.

39446077080_0c58a105e0_c.jpg

Air Intakes are just spot on. Its fans are freely rotating.

41255243821_263d13e344_c.jpg

SUMMARY
For what it is supposed to be, this set is doing great!
Good: Interesting machine. Lots of (simple) functions. Strong lower bodywork. Nice overall look.
Bad: Propellers do wiggle left/right a lot, when you operate them by pushing the Hovercraft, Needs a fair amount of cranking to get the ramp up/down. Crane does not have enough space to work properly. Hollow body.
At the end, playable set if you are into these types of machines, and if you can get over its issues, most notably the wiggling propellers and awkward crane.

SCORE
So how do I grade this set?

6 DESIGN
10963106835_25bcb8704d_m.jpg
This score would be higher if there were no mentioned issues.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg
Just building something different, makes it interesting

7 FEATURES
Again, would be higher if there were no mentioned issues.

8 PLAYABILITY
16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg
Lots of functions to keep the young user occupied.

7 PARTS
Good set if you are into the panels.

7 VALUE FOR MONEY
Good value for the package.

Final score - 7.0

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed your review, but I don't agree with your conclusion. This model looks rather boring and unfinished, and is far inferior to the 42025 B model, in spite of the fact that it is a B model, and has only 2 more parts. I still have trouble comprehending how a set this small and bland looking has over a thousand parts. In my mind, there just isn't enough about this set that's Technic.The Ocean Explorer had the same problem. The functions aren't anything to write home about either, as this set doesn't have many. You get the ramp, but the use of linear actuators is questionable, to say the least. It is slow and tedious cranking the ramps up and down. The crane moving by hand is under designed, and it does not even work well. The truck is a little pile of junk. Something like 42084 would have been better. And, once again, this set seems really small for having more than a thousand pieces.  Sariel outlined many of the set's issues in his video, and I am a little bit surprised you gave it a good score, but to each their own.

My score: 2/10

I do appreciate the nice things you had to say about this set, Milan; it makes a difference, but I'm more inclined to agree with Sariel's review. This set is awful and doesn't even resemble an actual hovercraft. I'm thinking the designers started out with a ferry but had to make tradeoffs until someone thought, "Hey! Hovercraft!" Poor. Total miss for me. :thumbdown:

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

My score: 2/10

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Total miss for me. :thumbdown:

Guys, as an afol, I somewhat agree with you, but I also have to consider this set as a kids/teens toy. Now, I am not saying that is an excuse for some of the set's issues mentioned in the review. Also, I had to take into the account my two young assistants (8 and 13), who provided their feedback (for this set and for all the sets so far). They have a lot of Lego sets at their home, and they like this Hovercraft (they hate the slow ramp). And they are not even a boat fans, they prefer construction machines and race cars.
Without their opinion, the set would get a bit lower score, but I would still keep it in a neighborhood of 6.5 - 7.

I dunno about that. We've had endless arguments about "it's for kids", and other stuff like that, so I won't go into that here. Since this site is by and for adult/older Lego fans, I think reviews should reflect that. I kind of like what Sariel does, where he incorporates a who would like it vs. who wouldn't like it at the end of a set interview. Also, as I have said before, Lego could have made a much better hovercraft that would still appeal to kids. I dunno. Ultimately, you're the one writing the review, and I don't have to agree with your conclousion. I still appreciate the effort you and @Jim spend on these reviews. It is quite helpful for fans who want the best set, whether it is for them or a younger fan as a gift.

I'm glad you reviewed it @Milan, because I would probably have rated it even higher :laugh:

I am sure my two nephews would have a blast with this set. The little truck even has suspension and you can lift the payload off of it :wub:

So, I'm in the Pro Camp so to speak. For around 50/60 bucks you will have a nice set, with a cool B-model as well (albeit more of the same).

The only thing I am missing in this review is a blue backdrop :laugh: :tongue:

The set itself has maybe many issues. But it is in my buy-list for the many and many panels.

8 white

8 red

16 black

9 light bluish grey

4 orange

I think this is a great list of panels!

50 minutes ago, mpj said:

The set itself has maybe many issues. But it is in my buy-list for the many and many panels.

8 white

8 red

16 black

9 light bluish grey

4 orange

I think this is a great list of panels!

Yes it is a good parts pack but that is why we read reviews to ser for urselfs if some set is to be built or...btw @Milan I like your review

Edited by I_Igor

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I'm glad you reviewed it @Milan, because I would probably have rated it even higher :laugh:

So, I'm in the Pro Camp so to speak. For around 50/60 bucks you will have a nice set, with a cool B-model as well (albeit more of the same)

Thanks for the review, I may build it once. It really is a 6-7 year old set. I would have rated it lower, but I agree it is a correct score.

l think above $60 (how much I got it at), it is a semi miss. Parts will be useful.

To me this is a beginner/starter set for technic, the score of average is correct (compared to the sets we've seen in the past few years) but with mitigating circumstances. I would buy it for the parts and those fans are just brilliant. My main

issue is i'm not a fan of water based vehicles as i don't live near a lake or river and i dont have a bath tub (we have shower). A boat set or hovercraft set I would want it to float for real.

H

Mine just arrived!

Will be posting my thoughts on it later today. Decided I will build it once, then disassemble.

Good review, A little mod here and there would make this set a good buy!!  I wlll look into buying the set in the near by future 

12 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Hey @Milan, did you get a spare 19l flex axle?!

No, just the regular 2x. You have three of them?

32 minutes ago, Milan said:

No, just the regular 2x. You have three of them?

I do, just opened and there were 3. Also, how was your book. Mine was folded in half and slightly ripped.

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

I do, just opened and there were 3. Also, how was your book. Mine was folded in half and slightly ripped.

My book was perfect. No folding or any signs of damage. Check out the review pic. How about the sticker sheet?
They probably gave you another axle to compensate for the ripped book :wink:.

25 minutes ago, Milan said:

My book was perfect. No folding or any signs of damage. Check out the review pic. How about the sticker sheet?
They probably gave you another axle to compensate for the ripped book :wink:.

Sticker sheet was OK, wasn't inside book.

I'm fine with that!

Great review - thanks! It's a good parts pack, and also a good introduction to technic for younger people that are more used to system I think. The main disappointment is the use of LAs for the ramp which makes it tedious (I note that 42069 used LAs and a worm driven winch, but was fun to use by gearing them up more) and that the crane/truck interaction needs more room to work better.

I reckon the B-model looks more interesting than the A, for maybe a slightly older audience. Still, if I can pick it up cheap I may well just as a parts pack.

Thank you for the great review.   I found the highlighted parts section to be especially useful.

So, my thoughts, considering my profile shows I am a target audience.

The verdict:

(Pros)

• Fun Build!
  • Very easy time ~2.5 hours.
  • Playable, easy to master.
  • Looks awesome.
  • Great at $60, period.
  • Very light, durable.

(Cons)

• Pieces can be hard to put together.
  • The truck steering is twichy and suspension is too soft.
  • Hovercraft props wobble, horrible effect.
  • Steers and rolls bad.

I loved this set, I wanted since it was shown. That changed now. It is great parts supply, which is where it is going.

Overall: Jaded me. If I made it, I would be in awe. But since I didn't, it's only ok.

Score: 5.5/10

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

worm driven winch, but was fun to use by gearing them up more)

No, it used a rachet. I like that way better.

@Milan I have determined that the backlash is not the worm gears, but it is is the 2L tubes connecting the props, the pins are too loose.

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

@Milan I have determined that the backlash is not the worm gears, but it is is the 2L tubes connecting the props, the pins are too loose.

Agreed. Connection points are too weak.
Easily visible on this picture (on the left side of it):
39446078550_1c6bfe2312_c.jpg

Tan pins actually holds the propeller's housing, while the white connectors transmits the power to them (and provide some additional, but weak, support).