Bregir

Regulations for the dress uniforms and insignia of rank of Royal Navy officers

To all sea officers of the Royal Navy,

In order to ensure discipline and order in the fleet, I hereby publish a new set of regulations for the officers of the Royal Navy. Please find it enclosed below.

Regulations for the dress uniforms and insignia of rank of Royal Navy officers

Dress uniforms

Officers of the Royal Navy act as representatives of her Royal Majesty and is required to dress accordingly. Dress uniforms of the Royal Navy consists, as detailed in the drawing below, of the following:

• Black bi- or tricorne, with plume of suitable colour.
  • Navy blue uniform jacket with brass buttons. May include details in gold/brass, white, or red.
  • Red or white breeches

40524211334_259caebac1_c.jpg

Dress uniforms are required to be worn when acting in any official capacity on or off shore.

Note:  For practical tasks, some daily duties, exercise, or active warfare, personal judgement is advised and attire should be adjusted to the situation at hand.

Insignia of Rank

All officers of the Royal Navy must, at all times when in uniform, carry the proper insignia of rank. Regulations state that:

• Lieutenants and Commanders carry white epaulettes
  • Post Captains and Commodores carry yellow epaulettes
  • Flag officers (rear-admirals and upwards) carry golden epaulettes
  • Warrant officers may carry epaulettes as befit their station, but cannot carry any of the colours above

26365608747_d75c98914b_c.jpg

Signed

Rear Admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief, Terra Novan Fleet

OOC: So, I thought I'd make a little guide to navy uniforms. I'd like to see a little more uniformity in the way we dress our officers, but I am not going to crack down on anyone wishing to put on a personal touch. The most important part is the colour of the epaulettes.

19 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Why red!!?? Breeches should be white!

I guess to mark the difference between Oleon and Corrington :laugh:

Glad I am Eslandolan, most of my captains wear golden epaulettes :rofl:

20 hours ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Why red!!?? Breeches should be white!

@Maxim I has got the right idea. I wanted (and had) to make a nod to our faction colours. I agree that white legs look nice, but I always used red myself for the former reason, and could hardly make it "official policy" to steal Olean colours.... :pir-grin:

As I said, we are not going to be too strict on this, apart from the epaulettes. :pir-wink:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

could hardly make it "official policy" to steal Olean colours...

But blue and white isn't Oleon's colours, it's: 

Medium Blue and Dark Blue

And I think our naval uniforms are already distinct from theirs, in that we generally use the 2009 series, while they use the 2015 or 1989 series.

Edited by Flavius Gratian

1 hour ago, Flavius Gratian said:

But blue and white isn't Oleon's colours, it's: 

Our colours are black and red. In combination with dark blue, I find white becomes very Olean(look at their flag and general look) , and I don't want to steal their options. The alternative is that we only use the two options I use in the one with epaulette colours, but I find that will restrict us too much if someone doesn't have any of those torsos?

That said, I don't mind you using white legs for your sea officers. :)

Great uniforms and I seriously hope that more relevant posts emerge in the future!

@Flavius Gratian While I can clearly understand the fact that you adore Oleon so much and want to mimic us, we are nevertheless so gracious that we permit you to wear white breeches whenever you want! Just be aware that in case of a conflict, should we capture your troops wearing our colors, they will be considered saboteurs and will be executed on the spot (or so writes our "Grand Manual of Conducting War With Other Factions") :tongue: :grin: :tongue:

OOC now, since BoBS is a free and open community, you can portray your troops with whatever colors you like within the general rules of your chosen faction. Blue, red and white are all for flavor and to diversify factions among other things. 

Edited by blackdeathgr

Some sort of guidelines on this matter are great to have, I applaud the effort. The dark blue makes the officers stand out between the "common redshirt", while the white and red make it clear that you are dealing with a Corry. Well done! :thumbup:

As my closing statement I'll just say that I had not seen the need for any regulation to this extent before. I thought our standards for epauletts were enough, but very necessary to display rank uniformally. I wish @Bregir would have consulted with the rest of Corrington's members before announcing it, as you did with the epauletts. Even though I'm free to ignore the regulation, it's still there in game, so on some level I have to accept that my sigfig is knowingly disobeying them, which feels out of character.

I think the colour combination looks very strange, and don't think faction colours should be viewed as having to apply everywhere and all time. For example, Corrington's most prominent inspiration, Great Britain, had navy blue uniforms for their naval officers, even though they are and were primarily identified with the colour red.

@blackdeathgr You don't even have a standard uniform! How could I possibly have gotten the idea from Oleon? No sir, this was an entirely original Corlander innovation based on our science and sense of order. I may even go so far as to suggest that if anybody has stolen the idea of white breeches it's Oleon's military.

While, as mentioned above, I appreciate the effort put into this, and like what @Bregir has come up with, I also agree completely with the following:

2 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

I wish @Bregir would have consulted with the rest of Corrington's members before announcing it, as you did with the epauletts.

... there was absolutely no need to impose these "regulations" without consulting the rest of the faction at all. Of course everybody is free to ignore them, and it hardly affects anybody - but then why bring it up in the first place? In the spirit of a collaborative game it would have been good manners to get feedback from all Corlanders - we have a seperate PM for a reason.

9 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Even though I'm free to ignore the regulation, it's still there in game, so on some level I have to accept that my sigfig is knowingly disobeying them, which feels out of character.

I had no idea anyone would take it such to heart, sorry. I simply always used that combination, and for a long time I was the only one really playing a naval officer for Corrington. It was an oversight on my behalf.

I decided for these colours myself long ago as a nod to our faction colours (and Oleon's too in relation to the combination of dark blue and white), but I am fine with changing it to red OR white breeches, as I understand why you prefer not to be going against the "regulations", as being out of character for a loyal officer like Lavendwood. It was never the intenton to force anyone into that situation.

On 2018-04-08 at 11:00 PM, Bregir said:

I had no idea anyone would take it such to heart, sorry. It was never the intenton to force anyone into that situation.

I never doubted that, :classic: and I probably came off as more concerned than I really was. It's hard to communicate through text. :hmpf_bad:

I just think the kind of people who join Corrington are the kind of people who care about rules and regulations, even if they are silly and unimportant :wink:

Thanks for changing the regulation!

even if they are silly and unimportant

What!?! Silly and unimportant?!? Heresy! :pir-tongue:

Happy we reached a positive conclusion and sorry for the drama, caused by my oversight! :pir-blush:

I just think the kind of people who join Corrington are the kind of people who care about rules and regulations,

Reading our faction description, I would expect the same. :pir-wink:

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

And so finally ? How does gentlemen from Corrington dress ?

I wish we could have same thread from Oleon and Eslandola

Eslandola is fairly simple: the more gold in the uniform, the higher the prestige of the person who wears it :laugh: There are some exceptions ofcourse :wink:

As the army of Eslandola consists of privatly owned troops, there is not really a need for regulations :) Just like we are not going to ask such a thing of Sea Rats :D

Nice presentation of the options Bregir. 

Sea Rats in uniform LOL .. . we'll never agree on the design. 

Olly's arent' hard to distinguish, they'll mention their faith every other second!

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Nice presentation of the options Bregir. 

Sea Rats in uniform LOL .. . we'll never agree on the design. 

Olly's arent' hard to distinguish, they'll mention their faith every other second!

We have a perfect uniform standard why would you change that? A sea rat captain can wear what he desires and a captains hat is just a formality.

White and blue and a posh accent gotta be OL lol

Perhaps lavenwood could be awarded new uniforms as such the execs just enacted such stringent uniform regulations ... As far as they go it would be good for COR to settle on a uniform and add it to the quickstart guide

Looking good, it's good to maintain a certain degree of uniformity, and I think red legs are very appropriate for the Corries, if you want to make a distinction between army dudes and navy guys, I'll say red legs for army and tan legs for navy. 

12 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

from Oleon

Well, it's simple, generally we use the bluecoats from the last pirates sets, blue torso and white legs.