Bart

[SR-FB] Hydrographic exploring on Sabre Island

Poppy Port – Sabre Island (zone 26) – Sea-Rats
Hydrographic exploring

40343262255_6d3310617a_z.jpgPoppy port - Hydrographic exploring by Bart, on Flickr

dr. Anderson: Well hurry up with those boxes will you James.

James between his puffing: Yes, doctor.

dr. Anderson: This looks like the ideal spot! Fresh water, flat beach, deep ocean waters near the coast, only some rocky patches that need attention. James I want the tent where you put those boxes.

James: Urgh.. yes, doctor.

dr. Anderson: Oh and I want to be on top of that hill before noon, which I reckon is in forty… six! minutes. Bring my gear James!

James grunts as a response.

41239889241_2f4d93a651_z.jpgPoppy Port - Hydrographic exploring 2 by Bart, on Flickr

dr. Anderson: This will do, this will do just fine. James, we will build the first marker, point Alfa, right here!

James knowing that ‘we’ meant ‘him’ in those words, was just happy he could’ve catched his breath will the doctor was doing his measurements.

41239893911_6d319c53f0_z.jpgPoppy Port - Hydrographic exploring 3 by Bart, on Flickr

James: What is this marker Alfa for doctor?

dr. Anderson: For us to use as a point zero from where we will make all our measurements.

James: Measurements?

dr. Anderson: Yes we’ll go out in our boat, and make depth soundings at regular spacing, so we can draw up a map of this new harbour.

James knowing that meant rowing, and rowing and more rowing didn’t really look forward to the idea.

James: Why do we need a harbour here anyway doctor?

dr. Anderson: Oh well there isn’t anybody here that could eavesdrop on us, but our contractor Mrs. Derr thinks there is a money to be made from commodities from this island. And to take those commodities off the island one needs ships, and ships need harbours.

40343248535_68df85b809_z.jpgPoppy Port - Hydrographic exploring 4 by Bart, on Flickr

dr Anderson: James if we put another marker right on this rock here, marker Alfa and this new one…

James: Delta, doctor?

dr. Anderson: Yes Delta sounds good. Well those two Alfa and Delta will form a line, indication a save passage through the rocks we charted, and ships can use them to enter this Harbour.

James: So ‘we’ have to build another marker?

dr. Anderson: Excellent idea James, if you can start getting the necessary tools and supplies. I’ll be there in a moment.

James: Yeah sure.

40343229175_31847d49ac_z.jpgPoppy Port - Hydrographic exploring 5 by Bart, on Flickr

So this is the build I want to start a new settlement ‘Poppy Port’ with, on Sabre Island (Sea Rats-zone 26).
But how on earth do I license this? It’s a 48x48 base plate, but half of it is water (aka bare baseplate).
Do I license the doctor and James their activities as hydrographic surveyors i.e. artisan or do I license the structures, marker Alfa and Delta as art’s and crafts (as they are the permanent builds)

Or do people think this isn’t enough to start a settlement, then I’d like to hear that too.

I know I know I could’ve build something easier to license, but I had this idea. And building out my ideas comes before wondering how it fits into the game, sorry.

*if people think, why are those markers that big! Well you had to be able to see them from quit a distance, and then measure angles with the sextant to find out your position. I believe them to be accurate in size and appearance, in real life they would have been made of a light wood construction covered with linen painted black.

Edited by Bart

Lovely build and a funny story, I do not envy poor James though! :pir-grin:

The story progression through the series of builds is really well done, especially the basecamp. My only suggestion for improvement would be some transparent "layer" on top of the water sections - but I do not know how easy that is to do in LDD.

Overall a very fine build! :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Bart said:

But how on earth do I license this? It’s a 48x48 base plate, but half of it is water (aka bare baseplate).

Well, it is a scene at the beach. A beach comes with water, so of course a significant part of the build will be water. And it is not just "empty", you used it for an important part of your build, which would not have worked with less space. In my opinion this is a "proper" 48x48 build, I doubt anybod would complain.

Do I license the doctor and James their activities as hydrographic surveyors i.e. artisan or do I license the structures, marker Alfa and Delta as art’s and crafts (as they are the permanent builds)

I think both of these would work. It could also be seen as an educational property, due to the scientific research going on.

Or do people think this isn’t enough to start a settlement, then I’d like to hear that too.

In my opinion this is a perfect start for a new settlement, go ahead!

I know I know I could’ve build something easier to license, but I had this idea. And building out my ideas comes before wondering how it fits into the game, sorry.

Absolutely no need to be sorry! I think this is the perfect approach to this game. Always build what you want to! :thumbup:

16 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Nice build Bart! Great campsite details and the story is entertaining.

16 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Lovely build and a funny story, I do not envy poor James though! :pir-grin:

The story progression through the series of builds is really well done, especially the basecamp. My only suggestion for improvement would be some transparent "layer" on top of the water sections - but I do not know how easy that is to do in LDD.

Overall a very fine build! :thumbup:

Well, it is a scene at the beach. A beach comes with water, so of course a significant part of the build will be water. And it is not just "empty", you used it for an important part of your build, which would not have worked with less space. In my opinion this is a "proper" 48x48 build, I doubt anybod would complain.

I think both of these would work. It could also be seen as an educational property, due to the scientific research going on.

In my opinion this is a perfect start for a new settlement, go ahead!

Absolutely no need to be sorry! I think this is the perfect approach to this game. Always build what you want to! :thumbup:

Thank you. James is getting payed handsomely for his efforts do ;)
The water may indeed have deserved some more attention. transparant layers are doable in LDD, only the rendering sometimes trows in a strange effect.

I think I'll be going for Art&Culture, that way I'm leaving the doctor and James free for more exploring, because they turned out to be quit fun characters. 

* I was looking at the licensing form, but how does one license something and make the town the owner instead of me?

17 hours ago, Bart said:

So this is the build I want to start a new settlement ‘Poppy Port’ with, on Sabre Island (Sea Rats-zone 26).

*if people think, why are those markers that big! Well you had to be able to see them from quit a distance, and then measure angles with the sextant to find out your position. I believe them to be accurate in size and appearance, in real life they would have been made of a light wood construction covered with linen painted black.

First off, congrats on becoming a colony owner!  I look forward to visiting Poppy Port!

MOC - you have a nice story there and I like the colour palette.  The rockwork really could have used some slopes - it unfortunately looks like you just slapped some BURBs together and it takes away from the build.

Licensing - This is where it gets subjective.  Always keep in mind that you don't need to license every build; sometimes you create a MOC just to drive your story and it is perfectly fine as that.  BUT, I also realize you are starting a new colony and need... well... builds, and Dbs are a necessary evil, so no one will begrudge you here.  In this case, I would say you should license it as small Education.  The reasons: i) In my experience finding believable ideas for EDU builds in a pirate/free port is rather difficult, so this gets that nuisance out of the way early, and ii) You have a lot of open space in this MOC and it is a pretty simple build.  Since the leadership don't seem to police is this kind of thing anymore, you could certainly fill in the form as is a medium/large build based on the overall footprint rather than effort, and wait to see if anyone objects.  And to be completely honest, I "rounded up" a couple of builds early on (though I round down more than up).  Problem is that people who do that consistently get a rep.  In the end, they are your (virtual) toys, so your decision.

Last thing: definitely license this under yourself, but put the location as Poppy Port, once the account is updated to show the colony.  You'll need some bureaucratic help for that. @MKJoshA @Phred The only MOCs I'd license under a colony's name are forts, and maybe a ship eventually.

PS: Poppy Port? You sure you want to go with that name? It becomes Poopy Port so easily...  :pir-grin:

This is certainly enough to justify the beginnings of a port! I think @Capt Wolf or @Phred can add the name to the town list.

As for licensing in your name vs the port, something else to keep in mind is that if you license it in your name, you pay the cost but you also get the DBs every month. If you have the port be the owner and pay for it, then the port gets the DBs every month.

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

First off, congrats on becoming a colony owner!  I look forward to visiting Poppy Port!

MOC - you have a nice story there and I like the colour palette.  The rockwork really could have used some slopes - it unfortunately looks like you just slapped some BURBs together and it takes away from the build.

Licensing - This is where it gets subjective.  Always keep in mind that you don't need to license every build; sometimes you create a MOC just to drive your story and it is perfectly fine as that.  BUT, I also realize you are starting a new colony and need... well... builds, and Dbs are a necessary evil, so no one will begrudge you here.  In this case, I would say you should license it as small Education.  The reasons: i) In my experience finding believable ideas for EDU builds in a pirate/free port is rather difficult, so this gets that nuisance out of the way early, and ii) You have a lot of open space in this MOC and it is a pretty simple build.  Since the leadership don't seem to police is this kind of thing anymore, you could certainly fill in the form as is a medium/large build based on the overall footprint rather than effort, and wait to see if anyone objects.  And to be completely honest, I "rounded up" a couple of builds early on (though I round down more than up).  Problem is that people who do that consistently get a rep.  In the end, they are your (virtual) toys, so your decision.

Last thing: definitely license this under yourself, but put the location as Poppy Port, once the account is updated to show the colony.  You'll need some bureaucratic help for that. @MKJoshA @Phred The only MOCs I'd license under a colony's name are forts, and maybe a ship eventually.

PS: Poppy Port? You sure you want to go with that name? It becomes Poopy Port so easily...  :pir-grin:

Thank you.
I had to look up BURP, and to be honest I don't agree with the 'U' part. 
I was aiming a bit more towards a Lego set feeling here, and I thought the rocks being squareish there and sloped at the beach, was because of the sea eroded them at beach level. 

I had my doubts about the size, that's why I asked :) thanks for your input, although contrary to @Drunknok I'm happy with both opinions. 
It doesn't veel educational to me, therefore there should be some form of teaching done. as James being taught how to do this, instead of being used as a labourer. 

And yes I'm sure about the name Poppy Port, it has reasons :D

31 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

This is certainly enough to justify the beginnings of a port! I think @Capt Wolf or @Phred can add the name to the town list.

As for licensing in your name vs the port, something else to keep in mind is that if you license it in your name, you pay the cost but you also get the DBs every month. If you have the port be the owner and pay for it, then the port gets the DBs every month.

But I actually want the new town to get the db's is that uncommon? 
you can always transfer them to the personal account when there is a need for cash, using a transfer form isn't it?

* so the form doesn't give the option to license things for the town or trade company you own? there is a need for manual labour from one of the court members or their clergy?

Edited by Bart

@Phred will have to add the settlement to the accounts, but once he does that, then you can license properties there.

Additionally, yes, you can have the settlement license the property so it gains the future revenue. Just make sure you transfer enough DBs to the settlement's account for it to pay the licensing cost.

As for what to license this property, I'd be ok with it as a large education. The size is integral to the subject, and effort has been made to detail the water, so I'm ok with using the full 48x48 footprint for determining the size. And I'd say Education for category because (1) science subjects typically translate to education licenses, and (2) James is learning about the process by Dr. Anderson, even as he is being used as a laborer. Art & culture really doesn't fit here (the markers aren't sculptures intended as art), nor does artisan, in my opinion.

All that said, good build, with an interesting subject, and fun telling of the story. :thumbup: Good luck with the settlement!

I'll have to add the account later, but you can license the build in Poppy Port right away.  Once I add the account, all licensed properties  and build submittals will show up as part of the settlement's trade value. 

Is there a settlement topic for Poppy Port indicating who the mayor is and what island the settlement is in etc?

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

@Phred will have to add the settlement to the accounts, but once he does that, then you can license properties there.

Additionally, yes, you can have the settlement license the property so it gains the future revenue. Just make sure you transfer enough DBs to the settlement's account for it to pay the licensing cost.

As for what to license this property, I'd be ok with it as a large education. The size is integral to the subject, and effort has been made to detail the water, so I'm ok with using the full 48x48 footprint for determining the size. And I'd say Education for category because (1) science subjects typically translate to education licenses, and (2) James is learning about the process by Dr. Anderson, even as he is being used as a laborer. Art & culture really doesn't fit here (the markers aren't sculptures intended as art), nor does artisan, in my opinion.

All that said, good build, with an interesting subject, and fun telling of the story. :thumbup: Good luck with the settlement!

okay explaining the Education category like that, makes it the most fitting indeed.

thank you, it was fun making this story too ;)

47 minutes ago, Phred said:

I'll have to add the account later, but you can license the build in Poppy Port right away.  Once I add the account, all licensed properties  and build submittals will show up as part of the settlement's trade value. 

Is there a settlement topic for Poppy Port indicating who the mayor is and what island the settlement is in etc?

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/160490-settlement-poppy-port-sabre-island-sea-rats/

Thanks for the work you do on the bobs bookkeeping! 

So on the property license form I just fill in 'Poppy Port' in the Builder box? (I thought that had to be your EB name) 

Edited by Bart

2 hours ago, Bart said:

So on the property license form I just fill in 'Poppy Port' in the Builder box? (I thought that had to be your EB name) 

Yes - "builder" is, despite its label, the licensor of the property, and as such, not necessarily the actual builder. Who said it was to be easy? ;)

Also, nice build - being a bit of a (hobbyist) seaman myself, I most enjoy the navigational markers. And that you have shown a series of evolutions for telling the story. (Which makes me say you can license this as a large (educational) as suggested by others)

I do agree that some of the surfaces seem a bit too flat and simple. Some more gradual elevation of beach and cliff tops and some detailing (like crabs, clams, small stones, plants, etc.) would make the build look more finished.

However, then you build up a small camp with a great little tent and a lot of supplies, and that is all forgotten! Well done and good luck with your new settlement!

Thank you @Bregir 

I maybe should have given the terrain details the same attention I put in the campsite. But I wanted to show the story, so in my excitement I continued with the next scene too soon.

Do I have to say where on Sabre Island Poppy Port is located or does the Court decide that? If I should, then I'll let dr. Anderson draw up a map of the harbour soundings and the markers. 

Bart

5 minutes ago, Bart said:

Do I have to say where on Sabre Island Poppy Port is located or does the Court decide that? If I should, then I'll let dr. Anderson draw up a map of the harbour soundings and the markers. 

Bart

This is up to you (and your faction). :)