letsbuild

[LB-X18] Collaboration/Group Project

7 hours ago, KikoTube said:

Nice Gearbox 

Thanks. I hope it integrates well into the chassis.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

On 5/13/2018 at 11:27 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Wait no longer. Here it is. This uses a much-modified solution from Charbel.

Looking good! I will integrate it into the chassis.

Is this project ever going to be finished? What gives? We have all of this great builders here and the last big progress was a few weeks ago. What the f**k is happening? It started well, in first few weeks you have done half a car, and then it just stall. Ha, so much for collaboration. @letsbuild you are the project manager, so manage your team. Urge them to finish.

We, the spectators and followers of this project, well be very disappointed if this project fails, like some others before. Don't let us down, and don't let yourself down.

31 minutes ago, pagicence said:

Is this project ever going to be finished? What gives? We have all of this great builders here and the last big progress was a few weeks ago.

Have you even realized that things like this take lots of time, just let it be. We have done a lot of work together, and making these things fit. The body is all that is left. We have to be respectful of others time too.

I get that. It just seems to me that everyone is doing their own thing, and that they have forgot about this. I just wanted to give some boost to all. That's it.

53 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

@pagicence we are waiting on @Didumos69 to finish up the chassis, and @Jeroen Ottens to design the rest of the body. Otherwise, everyone's job is basically done.

I am still in waiting modus...
1) I still like to get some feedback on the paneling behind the doors. Is it OK, or is it too Audi like?
2) I'd like to have the chassis with the gearbox integrated, to get a feel for the proportions once that is fitted (because it will be a big volume eating away in the center)

I think other than the chassis and the bodywork we also still need chairs & interior, but that also waits for the chassis+gearbox marriage.

Jeroen

Okay, sorry for not being around here lately. I have been too occupied with my own project.

I will integrate the gearbox into the chassis this week.

21 hours ago, eric87 said:

They should just find someone else to finish this .   

I believe that that Didumos is fine in his role, we're just going to give him more time.

Guys, what is the status on this car?
It seems that there has not been any progress for over a month. I really hope this build will be finished.

This topic will be unpinned sometime this day.

I'm working on integrating the gearbox. I will post details later today.

I have been working on integrating the gearbox. I redid the housing, because in the existing chassis, I only needed to add a few beams to support all axles. I also made a small change to the layout: I skipped one of the central red clutch gears to keep enough space for the engine crankshaft. I tried to put the gearbox as much to the back as possible. I think I could move it backwards 2 more studs, but that would mean the rear axles would need to be completely redone. Btw, in the current build there is enough space for a V12, so I changed that too. If this is not okay, I'll switch back to the V8.

800x450.jpg

The shifter is a different story. To be honest, I don't like Charbel's shifter at all. The main issue I have is that the belt wheels to which the drivers are attached, can only be supported at one end, which effectively means the shift lever can also be supported at one side only. That gives a lot of undesired bending. So I have been playing with this a little in LDD, but this needs to be explored in real life before we can draw any conclusions. The idea basically boils down to this:

800x450.jpg

The 5x7-frame has a 90-limiter inside and a square 2x2 brick. I extended the square brick with plates  so it measures exactly 2 studs. The lever is placed on a half stud offset, so the drivers almost collide with the square brick in idle position. The 90-limiter uses two white silicon bands and the drivers are also tied together with a white silicon band around the yellow bushings. The LXF-file can be found here.

Edited by Didumos69

Great to see an integrated gearbox. I'll spend some time this week on the bodywork.

One thing that worries me a bit is the proportions of inside vs outside. The gearbox is eating almost all the space on the inside, so chairs will be rudimentary at best I think

Can someone test the gearbox with the linkages? Is there enough room to switch the red levers? The axle with balljoint looks to be quite close to the #2 connector behind it...

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

One thing that worries me a bit is the proportions of inside vs outside. The gearbox is eating almost all the space on the inside, so chairs will be rudimentary at best I think

I think the gearbox could move 2 studs to the back, but it requires rework on the rear axles. I'm willing to do that, but it would mean I am once again changing the work of someone else, @Aventador2004 in this case. An other approach would be to simply remove part of the rear axles, so I can move the gearbox backwards and let @Aventador2004 figure out how to fix the rear axles. Perhaps @letsbuild could give direction in this matter.

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Can someone test the gearbox with the linkages? Is there enough room to switch the red levers? The axle with balljoint looks to be quite close to the #2 connector behind it...

That would indeed be something that needs testing. In LDD it can rotate far enough, so I'm optimistic.

I gave the shifter a little more space, because the drivers need to be able to move vertically. I think the drivers need to be tied together with 2 white silicon bands. I uploaded the updated LXF-file here.

800x450.jpg

On 6/19/2018 at 5:20 PM, Didumos69 said:

The shifter is a different story. To be honest, I don't like Charbel's shifter at all. 

I don't like it either hahaha. I just used it once in my 919 and since then I have been using your design.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:58 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

On 6/19/2018 at 9:54 PM, Didumos69 said:

I think the gearbox could move 2 studs to the back, but it requires rework on the rear axles. I'm willing to do that, but it would mean I am once again changing the work of someone else, @Aventador2004 in this case. An other approach would be to simply remove part of the rear axles, so I can move the gearbox backwards and let @Aventador2004 figure out how to fix the rear axles. Perhaps @letsbuild could give direction in this matter.

I took the liberty to move the gearbox two studs to the back. The essence of the rear axles could remain the same. I also experimented (digitally) with moving part of the gearing to the back of the rear axles, which creates even more space for the seats. This does not involve extra gear meshes, two axles are simply extended to the back, but it does take space in the area where the adjustable rear wing should go. The update LXF-file is here and the experimental LXF-file is here.

To illustrate, here are 3 renders showing a) the situation before this update, b) the situation with the gearbox moved backwards by 2 studs and c) the situation with the gearbox moved backwards by 4 studs:

800x360.jpg

800x360.jpgLXF-file is here.

800x360.jpgLXF-file is here.

800x360.jpg

Edited by Didumos69