letsbuild

[LB-X18] Collaboration/Group Project

1 hour ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Regarding illegal connections of 3l pins or 2l with stop, I am not condoning that practice at all. You are weakening the connection that could've been stronger by constructing it another way, and the pin it self will not extend fully inside the connected pieces. Yes it's very possible and it might hold just fine, but it just bothers me so much to even think that I'm going to do that. 

This here is going to hold even better and requires no illegal connections. There are always better options.

Of course having this 9L beam there will be stronger, but the idea was to lower the front axles - especially in the middle - to allow for a Lamborghini-like hood, so the question is if the redesigned front axle is strong enough. If you don't like the illegal connection, you could also try this.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Hi,

Here is a first attempt for the front bodywork:

LB-X18%20-%20JO%201.png

The holes below the front of the big panels are for the headlights.

LB-X18%20-%20JO%202.png

The lxf can be found here.

Questions for the builders:
- Is there enough room for the steering and suspension?
- Which flex axle length is needed to make a nice curve over the wheels?

Question for the frame makers:
- The whole of the front body work is connected to one floating 5L axle. A proper mount for that axle would be great.
- A Lamborghini has typically a shorter wheelbase (I purposely made the hood quite short so that the window styles can start almost on top of the wheels). Would a shorter wheelbase fit with the gearbox?

To do:
- Add headlights
- Fixate the fenders at the front
- Add some paneling at the back of the front tires
- The rest of the bodywork

I'll wait for the doors & gearbox before I start working on the rear bodywork

Leg godt

Edited by Jeroen Ottens
typo

Oh my, this is looking really good!

22 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

- The whole of the front body work is connected to one floating 5L axle. A proper mount for that axle would be great.
- A Lamborghini has typically a shorter wheelbase (I purposely made the hood quite short so that the window styles can start almost on top of the wheels). Would a shorter wheelbase fit with the gearbox?

I will work on that. I suppose I can replace the lower width-wise 9L beam running right behind those 5L axles with a 13L one. As for shortening the wheelbase, I will also wait for @BrickbyBrickTechnic's gearbox.

Impressive start @Jeroen Ottens! I do like it a lot already. It reminds me of a Ferrari more than a Lamborghini. It also reminds me a lot of your Mistress supercar because of the hood panel and the big panels over the wheels.. I would change out the 3x11 panel for 3x 1x11 liftarms because that part is quite rare at the moment. 

@Jeroen Ottens, I updated the LXF-file in the OP with your first attempt. I moved your groups to a subgroup and added extra support for the 5L axles in the front. However, I doubt whether there is enough space for the wheels in turns. With a max steering angle of 20 degree the wheels collide with your flex-axle supports, but let's wait for what builders have to say.

While looking at it in LDD I thought maybe the body could be two studs narrower. Then the flex-axle fenders could run along the outsides of the big panels. That might give a bit of a wide-body-kit-idea. Just a thought.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

@Jeroen Ottens, I updated the LXF-file in the OP with your first attempt. I moved your groups to a subgroup and added extra support for the 5L axles in the front. However, I doubt whether there is enough space for the wheels in turns. With a max steering angle of 20 degree the wheels collide with your flex-axle supports, but let's wait for what builders have to say.

While looking at it in LDD I thought maybe the body could be two studs narrower. Then the flex-axle fenders could run along the outsides of the big panels. That might give a bit of a wide-body-kit-idea. Just a thought.

I have the same doubt, hence the question to the builders. I also am curious how the angles work IRL. It is always difficult to judge when you have only the CAD file to look at. Let's see how the flexaxles run and then decide on possible changes in the fenders (or maybe the flexaxles need to move outward a bit to cover the wheels better :wink:)

Will you guys be doing a full studless body, or can there be studded parts added for detailing?

I really like the first setup for the body. Because I like thinking along, maybe I had a little suggestion, but I can't see if it's possible. What if you replace the 3x11 red panel and the two 13L beams (which are forming a 5x13 rectangle) with a 5x11 panel, leaving the frontmost two studs out. Then, the front of the panel lines up with the front of the 1x5 half beams and 2x5 panels. If, then, you push 1/2 pins in the front-facing holes of the 5x11 panel, you can add a curve using curved slopes or cheese slopes.

Also, was it planned to have some kind of grille at the front bottom center, below the red "trapezium" with the #5 angle connectors? If it were my model, I'd add some black 1x2 grille tiles there.

The headlights may become pretty small. What would happen if you would replace the red 1x3 tooth pieces with trans-clear ones, to form the innermost part of the headlights? Then, together with whatever comes in the gap, you would get more sizable headlights.

...but maybe I shouldn't go into details before the whole body is sketched out first... Maybe things need to be moved afterwards. Has anyone calculated yet what the roof height will be?

I feel that pop-up headlights give it an old feel, i suggest we do normal, fixed headlights, what do you think guys? 

The pop-up headlights are there to add a an extra feature, so if you can think of a good one to replace it, let me know.

@Jeroen Ottens, good job with the bodywork so far, I like the aggressive look!

6 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking, something not too intrusive, but adds a little more width around the axles.

varis_widebody_version_full_kit_a_toyota

Kind of like this (focusing on the side panels).

17 minutes ago, IA creations said:

I feel that pop-up headlights give it an old feel, i suggest we do normal, fixed headlights, what do you think guys? 

Up to @letsbuild. Also that would cut @TechnicRCRacer :angry:.

14 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Of course having this 9L beam there will be stronger, but the idea was to lower the front axles - especially in the middle - to allow for a Lamborghini-like hood, so the question is if the redesigned front axle is strong enough. If you don't like the illegal connection, you could also try this.

800x450.jpg

4b499a9794.png

The height of the body hasn't changed at all, I just replaced the 2x4 liftarms with a 9L + 4L liftarms. 

12 minutes ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

The height of the body hasn't changed at all, I just replaced the 2x4 liftarms with a 9L + 4L liftarms. 

The 9l liftarm would conflict with the hood in @Jeroen Ottens's bodywork.

13 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The holes below the front of the big panels are for the headlights.

I was under the impression that we were going to have pop-up headlights?

The lxf can be found here.

Questions for the builders:
- Is there enough room for the steering and suspension? Steering, no - Suspension, barely

There is no room for the elements within the green circle, move them 1 stud away.

When the suspension is fully compressed the wheels are just a hair's distance from the panelwork above.

975a06739d.pngY

- Which flex axle length is needed to make a nice curve over the wheels?

as of the current version of the model a minimum of 17 studs, however there will be no room for it when the suspension is compressed.

A temporary fixing can be installed with 2x 2L liftarms with axle hole, however proper fixing needs to be installed as the panels are jumping  all over the place.

9cffca55aa.png

I added another two bionicle pieces as it looked rather funny otherwise. Also the outer two panels are only fixed on a rotating hinge. You would have to fix that down properly somehow

I didn't have a red panel in 3x11 so a substitute was required. That panel only comes in 1 set and that was way back in 2014

d19a1d7ef7.jpg

As for the axle units, they are good, no issues here, steering and suspension works flawlessly.

bae06babd9.jpg

7 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

It's not like I knew that yesterday when he just posted the bodywork today. Do you think I can see into the future?

No I don't and I did not intend to offend you. I'm just recalling things that have been said or discussed before. It was first suggested to lower the front suspension in this post and in following posts @KikoTube and me suggested some changes. I suppose you missed part.of the discussion and I don't blame you because there are a lot of posts. This is why I recalled why we lowered the front suspension in this post, which was before Jeroen posted his bodywork. When you asked again yesterday evening, I thought I'd simply explain it would collide with the bodywork, but now you have the long story.

In the end I think we both want the best for this project. I appreciate a lot that you're taking the time to build this model and provide feedback. It's very cool to see it come to life.

I hope we're good now.

Edited by Didumos69

8 hours ago, letsbuild said:

he pop-up headlights are there to add a an extra feature, so if you can think of a good one to replace it, let me know.

An adjustable rear wing?

5 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

I added another two bionicle pieces as it looked rather funny otherwise. Also the outer two panels are only fixed on a rotating hinge. You would have to fix that down properly somehow

I didn't have a red panel in 3x11 so a substitute was required. That panel only comes in 1 set and that was way back in 2014

d19a1d7ef7.jpg

As for the axle units, they are good, no issues here, steering and suspension works flawlessly.

bae06babd9.jpg

Cool, thanks for building ;)

10 hours ago, pagicence said:

Wasn't this car supposed to have a pop-up headlights?

Yes, and i still believe it would be a very nice feature. Why are we not trying to build an older version of a lambo. For example a lambo diablo sv:

https://goo.gl/images/xveSyS

10 hours ago, KikoTube said:

Why are we not trying to build an older version of a lambo. For example a lambo diablo sv:

I am looking for a model not based off real life. Something that looks new, something aggressive. So far, the bodywork achieves this, but pop-up headlights do seem to be an issue.

@Jeroen Ottens Just build the headlights as fixed models.

@TechnicRCRacer is it okay if I transfer you to @Didumos69's idea, an adjustable rear wing, instead of pop-up headlights?

Edited by letsbuild

Alright, checking in again.

@KikoTube, @Aventador2004, is your job here done?

@Didumos69, How's the framework going? do you think you're done?

@IA creations, Have you finalized the engine?

@BrickbyBrickTechnic, I need you to finish up that gearbox, bud!

@Offroadcreat1ons, how are the doors?

@TechnicRCRacer, could you start on the adjustable rear wing, please?

@Jeroen Ottens, any new progress on the body?

Finally, I still need an interior designer!

Edited by letsbuild