letsbuild

[LB-X18] Collaboration/Group Project

23 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

It would be nice if @BrickbyBrickTechnic could somehow integrate the center differential

I could certainly try to do so. However, I do not have access to Lego for the next few days, so I may not have anything to post for some time.

Sorry I've been absent the past few days, but we've had a massive power outage here so no pc access or lights for me to build with.

I'm going to bed as I write this, and I will test build your models as provided by LXF files tomorrow morning.

3 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I could certainly try to do so. However, I do not have access to Lego for the next few days, so I may not have anything to post for some time.

I suppose this no problem. Do you have any idea when you will have access to LEGO again?

2 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Sorry I've been absent the past few days, but we've had a massive power outage here so no pc access or lights for me to build with.

I'm going to bed as I write this, and I will test build your models as provided by LXF files tomorrow morning.

Good luck! I guess it has gotten slightly more complex and will take some time to find the right building order. One thing I am particularly concerned about is the upper supension arms rubbing against the upper pinhole edges of the springs while compressing the front axles.

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69it is suported (the sheft is in the midlle and there are 2 pins with 5 studs in between that support the engine block, also the shaft goes throught the beam that keeps the pins) amaizing explanation, i know 

@KikoTube I don't have a pair of the hubs you used for your axle. I looked at the LXF, and I believe it can be built using the normal ball-joint hubs. Could you check for me?

@Jeroen Ottens, Do you think you can start on the body with the Chassis we have so far?

@TechnicRCRacer, I would like you to start working closely with Jeroen to integrate the headlights with the body work, and with Didumos to include the mechanism for said headlights.

@BrickbyBrickTechnic, any clue on how long it'll be until you have access to your Lego? 

@Didumos69, excellent job with the frame, so far!

@IA creations, how's that engine coming?

@Offroadcreat1ons, any progress on the doors since you last checked in?

Still looking for someone to design the interior!

Edited by letsbuild

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

@Offroadcreat1ons, any progress on the doors since you last checked in?

Yeah. I made this butterfly door inspired by the doors in Crowkillers' new Constrictor supercar.

800x480.jpg

I know you said 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, letsbuild said:

maybe try a dihedral door.

so I'm currently trying to make one of those too.

EDIT:

Here's a prototype. The door would attach to the tan gear. 

800x480.jpg

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

@TechnicRCRacer, I would like you to start working closely with Jeroen to integrate the headlights with the body work, and with Didumos to include the mechanism for said headlights.

Roger that!

On 12/04/2018 at 10:48 PM, Didumos69 said:

Hi,

I reworked the front axle

In the rear axles I reworked that too

For the mid-section I already installed a center differential at the right height (so it doesn't stick out the bottom), which is one stud higher than the axles running underneath the front and rear differentials, hence the 8t gears in the front and rear axles. I also put in a dummy floating gearbox layout and drive-shaft, but these are just placeholders. It would be nice if @BrickbyBrickTechnic could somehow integrate the center differential in the gearbox. @IA creations, do you have a LXF-file of your engine? If not, I can make it and add it to the framework.

The red pins with axle hole serve to connect the front and rear modules to the center module. I made groups for the 3 modules.

Please note that nothing is definite yet. If you want to add stuff to the framework, please use this LXF-file, feel free to remove parts that conflict with your additions and share your changes here. I'll make sure to merge all changes back into the master version and upload it to the same url.

In the LXF-file I inclined the suspension arms to fit the shocks. Note that the shocks are fully expanded in the renders; in real life the model will sit deeper in its suspension

I appreaciate your effort but you have to remember that everyone here has a specific task and if there are any issues, then talk with the given builder and have him sort it out.

Don't take it upon yourself to fully rework the other members' work because you feel like it.

What I'm saying is that this is a team effort and your task is building the frame for the whole thing, not manipulating the other members' contributions to your liking.

It's a modular car and every part should be interchangeable. If you have an issue with some of the modules, notify the creator of it and they'll fix it, not you.

Now, with that out of the way,

Didn't look at.the lxf (for the frontaxle) yet, but from the picture it looks great. I like the use of double shocks which brings symmetry. Usually moving the steering pivots 1 stud away from the steering axis requires more movement in the gearrack than the 7L gearrack allows, but with the limited steering angle defined by the CV+joints, this might work out just fine. Only concern I have: do the steering links not collide with the shocks in turns?

The steering radius of the front axle is perfect as there's heaps of room between the shocks and steering links. The amount that it turns cannot be any tighter anyway since there's a few 5L thin liftarms holding it together and that prevents it from turning anymore anyway.

eb6620cbc3.gif   6477acf30d.jpg

As for the levelness of the car due to the different mounting positions of the wheels, then all I can say is that it's perfectly level.

542c4e361b.jpg

One thing to note is that when the shocks are fully compressed, the bottom of the construction touches the ground quite hard, so we might need to adjust the spring positions a bit if that's something to worry about.

I agree that the hard springs are too much, I reckon soft springs would be alrigh too, but only have a few, not 8 so I cannot test that.

Edited by Carsten Svendsen

1 hour ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

As for the levelness of the car due to the different mounting positions of the wheels, then all I can say is that it's perfectly level.

542c4e361b.jpg

One thing to note is that when the shocks are fully compressed, the bottom of the construction touches the ground quite hard, so we might need to adjust the spring positions a bit if that's something to worry about.

I agree that the hard springs are too much, I reckon soft springs would be alrigh too, but only have a few, not 8 so I cannot test that.

Could we find a way to bring it lower to the ground as well? Maybe have a two-stud gap when fully extended, one stud when fully retracted. is that possible?

8 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I will for a little bit on Sunday. Hope to get something done.

Glad to hear it, keep us updated!

8 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

I appreaciate your effort but you have to remember that everyone here has a specific task and if there are any issues, then talk with the given builder and have him sort it out.

Don't take it upon yourself to fully rework the other members' work because you feel like it.

What I'm saying is that this is a team effort and your task is building the frame for the whole thing, not manipulating the other members' contributions to your liking.

It's a modular car and every part should be interchangeable. If you have an issue with some of the modules, notify the creator of it and they'll fix it, not you.

Now, with that out of the way,

Well, what can I say. I think I get your point, but I don't agree.

My name was mentioned for the framework, because it was said I was good at adding stiffness / rigidity, which is more of an aspect than a component. To me building a framework means integrating the work of others into a modular yet consistent model and I can't do that if I'm not allowed to suggest any changes. And believe me, if I would change it to my liking it would be completely different.

What I can do is trying to be even more conservative in changing things than I already am. And I will always explain the changes and ask for feedback.

I explained the changes I made to the front and rear axles and asked for feedback on the first integration. To my understanding @KikoTube and @Aventador2004 were okay with the integration and thus the changes. If not, I would like to hear so.

In my opinion building a model together is not just an addition of independent components. We don't have any interfaces defined, so you can't expect any components to fit in as is.

Eventually we are all working on the same model albeit a modular model. This is also why I would like designers to add their stuff into the 'integrating'-LXF I shared. And they too should feel free to change or even remove things to their needs and ask for others to comment. Also @KikoTube or @Aventador2004 should still feel free to make changes to the axles this way. I can integrate the changes from different designers and for people that don't design digitally, I can do the digital part for them.

We really need to have a shared understanding of our way of working, because if we are all going to build//design different versions of the whole model than this is going nowhere.

So my question to everybody is, can we agree we are working on one model together with everybody working on different components or aspects that together form an integrated whole or are we simply working on a set of separate components that eventually need to fit together?

Would like to hear what others have to say.

Edited by Didumos69

21 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

In my opinion building a model together is not just an addition of independent components. We don't have any interfaces defined, so you can't expect any components to fit in as is.

I agree, if we were doing this with real bricks, we wouldn't be all working separately and then trying to fit it together, we would be building one model - adding and changing parts - so that we knew it would work when it was finished.

6 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Could we find a way to bring it lower to the ground as well? Maybe have a two-stud gap when fully extended, one stud when fully retracted. is that possible?

There are some ways to bring it lower. I worked out one way here.

Btw, it appears to me that @Carsten Svendsen used bigger wheels, so the ground clearance in his image is not representative.

16 hours ago, IA creations said:

@Didumos69it is suported (the sheft is in the midlle and there are 2 pins with 5 studs in between that support the engine block, also the shaft goes throught the beam that keeps the pins) amaizing explanation, i know 

Aha, I didn't see that. Is it leaning on the pins you are referring to or is it really attached to those pins? My concern is that when the crank-shaft also serves to secure the cylinder-blocks, we will introduce unnecessary friction.

Edited by Didumos69

22 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Btw, it appears to me that @Carsten Svendsen used bigger wheels, so the ground clearance in his image is not representative

I genuinely thought that those where the wheel size we were using. After a thorough check on Bricklink, I see that the wheels that we need only came in a few sets, which I don't own any of.

Of the hundreds of wheels that I own, I don't own the ones we specifically need. That baffles even me.

Are there any other wheels in the same size range that I can substitute for?

Did you check both mold types, 41896 with 3 pin holes and 56908 with 6 pin holes?

@letsbuild It's not possible because of the Diff in the middle. the 6l links would have contact with the diff.

@Didumos69 I'm okay with the changes, if they are not getting more. Seems to be more rigid now.

Edited by KikoTube

I've done some experimenting myself... Using Paul Boratko's mini V12 and Stefan Betula's Aventador 5+R speed gearbox (which is actually also from Paul :grin:). I have modified the chassis a bit here and there, mostly to fit the gearbox. I haven't connected most of the connectors and axles at the gearbox. Though using other people's designs kind of defeats the purpose of this project, it does look like a great chassis for a Lamborghini. It's got the AWD drivetrain, V12 rear mounted engine, even the butterfly doors. The proportions might be way off though :laugh: 

uZy6NyY.png

4 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I explained the changes I made to the front and rear axles and asked for feedback on the first integration. To my understanding @KikoTube and @Aventador2004 were okay with the integration and thus the changes. If not, I would like to hear so.

Eventually we are all working on the same model albeit a modular model. This is also why I would like designers to add their stuff into the 'integrating'-LXF I shared. And they too should feel free to change or even remove things to their needs and ask for others to comment. Also @KikoTube or @Aventador2004 should still feel free to make changes to the axles this way. I can integrate the changes from different designers and for people that don't design digitally, I can do the digital part for them.

My understanding is: When I "signed up" I was expecting to get the job of making a suspension concept. I did not expect it to be only mine, it would need improvement, I am not that level of structure engineer. If you look, the axles are the same proportions, just changed from frames to beams. My concept is still there, and I appreciate that it will work fully with the other components. Next time this happens, it may differ, but in the end we all are to spread our knowledge and learn new things.

8 hours ago, IA creations said:

You are right @Didumos69! Could you make some improovements please? 

This could work. It misses your details, just focus on the supporting assemblies. It needs to be locked in lengthwise by the framework carrying the engine, but that shouldn't be a problem.

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69