letsbuild

[LB-X18] Collaboration/Group Project

This is getting really cool, i am really interested in what type of vehicle it is going to be, if it is a trial truck, i have a few designs i made some time ago, but i couldn't fully test them because of the lack of parts, if it is going to be a big truck, i have a nice idea for a planetary portal axle i made, but i will wait until a more specific goal is presented, i would really like to help in the axle designing.

Just make sure all the builders know that scale...  It wouldn't be the coolest thing in the world if it was proportioned correctly.  

2 hours ago, aminnich said:

Just make sure all the builders know that scale...  It wouldn't be the coolest thing in the world if it was proportioned correctly.  

Exactly. That was what I was going to specify tomorrow.

Is there any chance, that there will be some kind of unique/new/rare feature included in the planning? Something that will set the vehicle apart from the usual "supercar features" which are great but often share the same basic principles like Porsche-inspired gearbox and suspension or Claas-inspired all wheel steering. It's always nice to see some clever door opening mechanism or convertible roof, for example. Different basic concepts are rare, too. Like transverse engine+gearbox layout or a U-shaped front axle as it was used in the Opel Calibra itc. Or fake wankel engine...

Has it been decided what you are officially building? I took a look at the old thread about a similar idea, they focused on a modular build, each person had there part and it simply fit together like a puzzle. 

The best vehicle I can think of for this is a hook lift truck. Sections of the build would be; chassis, rear axles, front axle, cab, hook lift mechanism, the a bunch of different container options. 

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

The best vehicle I can think of for this is a hook lift truck

I have been thinking about a very weird but possibly nice truck with a hook load system.

My idea was a 8x8 truck with portal axles and all wheel steering, with a conventional crew cab (my first choice would be the Zetros crew cab), rear mounted hook loader, and a Container Handling Unit with an ISO 20 ft container, but of course this might be a bit too much, i dont know what any of you might think about this, it was one of the weird things i think about.

Quite some nice ideas are shared already. My thoughts: I wouldn't set the bar too high. Modular sounds good. Maybe a truck that comes in different versions, with maybe different length but similar frameworks. We could start simple and make a version with more functions later. Would make the process more agile. Just my thoughts, it's up to the project leader :wink:

Probably not practical for very large, or complicated builds..

... but I have tested, and used Bricklink's Stud.io program's "Build Together" feature..

It's a basic client/server setup... someone opens a file, and initiates the session, and others can just connect to it, via IP address (had to port-forward the ports in my router)

But I was quite impressed at how it worked, when I was demoing some build techniques to a friend.

Just waiting for Stud.io to add live movement for axles/gears/etc!!!

Well, if there‘s still place for me, I would like to build to. Sounds like a lot of fun. :blush::thumbup:

I think my strengths are axles and framework..

Edited by KikoTube

Good morning, everyone!

Here is the full layout of the model. I will update this reply with names as people join in.

Plan:

We build an all-wheel-drive, mid-engined supercar using these wheels. The total width of the car will be 23 studs, length as needed. It would feature a four-speed gearbox, butterfly-wing doors, and pop-up headlights.

Positions:

Project Manager- Letsbuild

Designers

• Front axle- KikoTube
  • Framework- Didumos69
  • Rear Axle- Aventador2004
  • Engine- IA creations
  • Gearbox- BrickbyBrickTechnic
  • Doors- Offroadcreat1ons
  • Pop-up Headlights- TechnicRCRacer*
  • Bodywork- Jeroen Ottens*
  • Interior-

Builders:

• #1- Letsbuild
  • #2- BrickbyBrickTechnic
  • #3- Aventador2004*
  • #4- Carsten Svendsen

*undecided

If there are any complaints, let me know, and I'll try to work everything out.

Edited by letsbuild

I'd like to do the doors. However I would probably have to wait for the rest of the body to be complete before I could really make them fit. 

Also 23 studs seems a bit wide. For comparison, @Madoca 1977's Supercar was only about 20 studs wide. 

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Interesting project, I'll definitely be following this. One word of warning though, these wheels in combination with a modular setup will be very tough to implement. At this scale a single stud is already a lot. I am tempted to chime in for the bodywork, but I am afraid I won't be able to put enough time into this, my backlog is growing faster than I can build at this moment. OTOH if you keep the scale like this the bodywork has less area as well, so that shouldn't take too long. :laugh: So let's see how this evolves, it will take some time before bodywork can start anyway.

5 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I'd like to do the doors. However I would probably have to wait for the rest of the body to be complete before I could really make them fit. 

Also 23 studs seems a bit wide. For comparison, @Madoca 1977's Supercar was only about 20 studs wide. 

I set 23 studs because I am looking for something unusual (pop-up headlights with butterfly doors?:tongue:) 23 studs is wide, so it'll be stable.

5 hours ago, IA creations said:

@letsbuildok I will do the engine, put me in :D

Sweet! Just remember, this is still an important part, so make it nice!

4 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Interesting project, I'll definitely be following this. One word of warning though, these wheels in combination with a modular setup will be very tough to implement. At this scale a single stud is already a lot. I am tempted to chime in for the bodywork, but I am afraid I won't be able to put enough time into this, my backlog is growing faster than I can build at this moment. OTOH if you keep the scale like this the bodywork has less area as well, so that shouldn't take too long. :laugh: So let's see how this evolves, it will take some time before bodywork can start anyway.

Ok, I put you in for bodywork, but feel free to drop out any time.

I have updated the list, but I need more builders. I know many of you can build off of a digital model, so please sign up!

I also added a section I forgot to put: Interior. Feel free to sign up for that too!

14 minutes ago, IA creations said:

I guess within the design process we also need to build a real life model to test if it actualy works, right? @letsbuildwill do my best:thumbup:

I believe that is what the builders are doing: 

5 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Builders:

• #1- Letsbuild
  • #2-
  • #3-
  • #4-

@letsbuild, well, that is quite a challenge for such a small scale!

One question, do the axles need to have suspension? And differentials? Does the gearbox need a center differential? Or is that all up to the specific designers?

3 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Ok, I have the wheels. I am ready to go!

Modular and I can work with @Didumos69 to connect the section.

When you have something, just share it here, real life images, Stud.io or LDD and I'll try to connect it to the other sections.

To start with the framework I need to know something about the axles and the gearbox, so I wait for that. Once I have axles I can connect them temporarily. I can integrate the gearbox later if the gearbox would take more time.

Edited by Didumos69

6 hours ago, letsbuild said:
  • #1- Letsbuild
  • #2-
  • #3-
  • #4-

#2- BrickbyBricktechnic

I like the idea of a modular truck. The bar isn't too high, and the result ends being pretty awesome.

Suspension or not @letsbuild?

The first is being difficult with regular pieces.

I will use stud io for full build.

Edited by Aventador2004

I would do this, but I am not sure if my building skills are up to par with you guys’s. If there is a very small roll, I would be happy to help.