Captain Green Hair

MOC: Le Fleuron, 1729 third rate French ship of the line.

Yargh me harties, I be here to show you me latest ship model.

It is the third rate ship of the line Le Fleuron, launched in 1729. It has 64 cannons and an able crew of 333 men.

40282880665_613683698b_b.jpg

This wooden model by the plans of Gerard Delacroix inspired me to build this model.

41134616282_9e03050fbb_b.jpg

Next a close-up of the stern, as you can see the gunports on portside are closed:

27305056958_83745765b6_b.jpg

If we take a look from the headrails, we can see she is ready to fire a full broadside on the starboard. You may also notice I used tiles to widen the hull this time.

40465935504_04c7043b8a_b.jpg

A close-up of the stern. If you look through the windows you can see the upper gundeck has a full interior and so does the cabin above it.

27305056678_7951e07f8d_b.jpg

A brids eye gives a nice view on the extensive rigging, masts and sails. The lower sails are functional and I tried to make a hastily reefed sail on the front of the bowsprit.

40465934924_820b74301a_b.jpg

A first look into the upper gundeck, you can see the pumps behind the main mast. Another fun fact is that there isn't a single reddish brown brick used in this model.

40282881385_7a80f98d10_b.jpg

On the other side we can see the galley behind the bell post.The cook is preparing spicy chicken wings.

40465934214_eb9ae27dfc_b.jpg

I made the campaign deck rounded, so that a minifig can stand at the helm whilst keeping the sides of the ship a few plates lower.

40465934624_6d9363b4cf_b.jpg

And last the interior of the upper cabin, a bed and a table nothing really special.

40465934014_3801032ece_b.jpg

That's it mateys, I hope you enjoy it.

C&C welcome, thank you for watching!

Woow that one is amazing. The amount of detail You've put into this model is stunning. What is the wooden grid made of? I love the fact that You've used the "homemade" canons instead of the LEGO ones. They fit here much much more and I guess it also comes out much much cheaper :wink:. The rigging looks great and functional. You've even included a capstan!

I really love Your model and I hope for more :wink:.

Great ship Captain! Took you a while to post it though, I remember you had it done for quite a while by now, hadn't you? 

I do think you are lying a bit about the reddish brown - I think I spot some in the cabins interior and at the top of the ladders in the hole... :pir-laugh: 

Your stern has to be one of the best ones shown on this forum, great work all around! Nice to see many, but not too many details around it :D Your rigging looks great, but I feel like it isn't quite as tight as on some of your other ships... 

Nice ship Captain!
I like al the details, great thinking of putting a deck curve on the poop deck, and I like that you installed a whip-staff instead of a wheel. 
What are the four black rods up in front of the mizzen supposed to represent?

Fun to see you are still using the old style ship prefabs, that stern piece is much better then the modern version. (to bad LDD doesn't support the old model :/)

Bart

It's always a pleasure to see one of your ships posted here ! 

That's an excellent vessel ! I agree with Legostone concerning the stern, it's one of the best I've ever seen in LEGO ! Excellently done ! And very well detailled (but not too much...)

Congrats !

I love the details in this ship ... Im sure these pictures only vaguely do it justice ... Hats off for a great looking ship.

What an awesome ship, well done! :thumbup:

I love the combination of size with great details all over. I am not familiar with the build for your cannons, could you please provide some close-ups of one of them (or even a short instruction)?

On 4/2/2018 at 5:47 AM, jakbar said:

What is the wooden grid made of?

I believe they're 1x1 bricks that are upside down.  I copied the technique. :grin: 

Great work Captain!

Beautiful looking ship! I really like the way you built both the bow and the stern of the vessel. Great details in the cabin as well. Keep up the great work!

This is breathtakingly good. Every inch of the ship is crammed full of details and the rigging and sails look outstanding. Really really great work! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Glad to finally see it posted CGH!!

It is a marvellous and stunning build!

16 hours ago, Phred said:

I believe they're 1x1 bricks that are upside down.  I copied the technique. :grin: 

Thank You very much the effect is really nice and I had no idea how it was done...

Thank you for all the kind words guys, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

On 2-4-2018 at 12:59 PM, Legostone said:

I do think you are lying a bit about the reddish brown - I think I spot some in the cabins interior and at the top of the ladders in the hole... :pir-laugh: 

No no no, your eyes are lying to you! :tongue:

On 2-4-2018 at 1:30 PM, Bart said:

What are the four black rods up in front of the mizzen supposed to represent?

They can hold a canopy to keep the stairs below it dry. Perhaps I should add an actual canopy..hey great idea, thanks! :thumbup:

On 3-4-2018 at 12:29 PM, Drunknok said:

I love the combination of size with great details all over. I am not familiar with the build for your cannons, could you please provide some close-ups of one of them (or even a short instruction)?

The large ones are made from a pin joiner and a black palm tree trunk. I have explained the smaller ones in my sloop topic called El Gran Grin. :wink:

22 hours ago, Phred said:

Great work Captain!

You are correct sir, you may proceed to the next round! It wasn't my original idea I think, but I forgat where I stole it..:blush:

I didn't even notice the grid! 
I've used the headlights facing done technique on my last ship, but the 1x1's upside done gives nice square holes, (and it fits easier into a deck) compared to the rectangular headlights.

you may accuse me of copying it too in the near future :p

Edited by Bart

What a fantastic ship! Everything just looks so right... but then again, do we expect anything less from CGH?

How many ships is this for you? at least two dozen it seems....

MAC

Let me start my first post by congratulating you on another masterpiece...I've been following the online lego community for a couple of years now and have seen more than a few ships created by you and have to admit you are one of the few builders who inspired me to start hoarding bricks for my own large vessel. This one ranks among my favourites if not for the "new-ness" of the techniques used (I've seen very similar techniques used by you in your former ships) then because in this one they seem to blend together so smoothly as you obviously polished up those techniques added a few new ones and combined them perfectly in my opinion.

I agree I have seen better rigging, but hey that's a hazard of trying new things and especially not wanting to repeat yourself too much.

On ‎4‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 8:50 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

On ‎2‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 12:59 PM, Legostone said:

No no no, your eyes are lying to you! :tongue:

Although I hardly want to call my fellow countryman and inspirator a liar in my first post here, I do have to agree on the cabins interior part, specifically the top 2 tiles on the bed(they look like 1x3 tiles at least), since as far as I know Lego never produced those in regular brown. Nevertheless stunning effort to work around reddish brown building a classic ship that size and still so brown :laugh:

Edited by Ravelino