Captain Green Hair

MOC: Le Fleuron, 1729 third rate French ship of the line.

Mate, where are those 333 minifigs, can't find them in your pics? Anyway, can't wait til Friday to finally see it in real live!

Thank you guys!?

On 8-4-2018 at 8:42 PM, Ravelino said:

Let me start my first post by congratulating you on another masterpiece...I've been following the online lego community for a couple of years now and have seen more than a few ships created by you and have to admit you are one of the few builders who inspired me to start hoarding bricks for my own large vessel. This one ranks among my favourites if not for the "new-ness" of the techniques used (I've seen very similar techniques used by you in your former ships) then because in this one they seem to blend together so smoothly as you obviously polished up those techniques added a few new ones and combined them perfectly in my opinion.

I agree I have seen better rigging, but hey that's a hazard of trying new things and especially not wanting to repeat yourself too much.

Although I hardly want to call my fellow countryman and inspirator a liar in my first post here, I do have to agree on the cabins interior part, specifically the top 2 tiles on the bed(they look like 1x3 tiles at least), since as far as I know Lego never produced those in regular brown. Nevertheless stunning effort to work around reddish brown building a classic ship that size and still so brown :laugh:

Thanks!

Can you tell me what you think is off in the rigging?

On 9-4-2018 at 5:25 PM, kabel said:

Mate, where are those 333 minifigs, can't find them in your pics? Anyway, can't wait til Friday to finally see it in real live!

All hiding in the rum hold off course?

+1 to adoring that stern! The curves of the fish work so well to make it feel non-brick shaped.

So I was looking over the pictures again, and my eyes caught on the ladders between the upper gun deck and the spar deck.  What did you use for the top rung?

On ‎22‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 5:49 PM, Captain Green Hair said:

Can you tell me what you think is off in the rigging?

Minor detail and personal opinion;  I'm not fond of the fact that the (presumably tarred-looking) black lines here and there are thinner than the brown lines whereas in most pictures of real life third rate ships I've seen(although I must admit not all) tarred lines are in fact the thicker of the two

Amazing ship. It looks really great. Well detailed and you managed to give it a really nice shape with smooth curves! Beautiful!

Absolutely brilliant! It's been a while since I've seen another brilliant MOC build ship. This one is stunning, with the huge resemblance of the original model. Well done on this one

Aw yesssss! This is the kind of building that I like! It easily could be a set for sure! The details interior as exterior are really beautiful! Hope to post something like this build anytime soon!

dear Sir,

i am totally new at building MOC ships. I want to built a VOC Dutch ship. I would like to ask for your help. I am living in Holland. I love your work.

i like to learn.........

hope hearing from jou.

Greetings,

Peter

On 4/25/2018 at 8:50 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

So I was looking over the pictures again, and my eyes caught on the ladders between the upper gun deck and the spar deck.  What did you use for the top rung?

It's a 1x1 plate with ring that attaches the fence piece to the upper deck.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ravelino said:

Minor detail and personal opinion;  I'm not fond of the fact that the (presumably tarred-looking) black lines here and there are thinner than the brown lines whereas in most pictures of real life third rate ships I've seen(although I must admit not all) tarred lines are in fact the thicker of the two

Ah, the black and brown is mostly the same width. The lighter colour just appears thicker I guess. The main stays are twice as thick even. Same as I've always done my rigging.

On 5/15/2018 at 4:35 AM, Frostbricks said:

Mate, this is gorgeous. Love it.

Gotta ask though, what did you use for the sails?

It's old cotton cloth I dye with coffee and tea. Then when it's dry I use white glue to stiffen it. Thick layer on both sides. When that is dry you can iron the cloth and draw/cut the sails without tearing it.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:38 AM, SheepBlubber said:

Do you make the netting for your rigging yourself or do you buy it from somewhere?

I make all the rigging by hand, there is a 1000+ knots in there so it takes a bit of patience.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, Legostone said:

Looked great in Wetteren (2 months ago, but still relevant)!

41147124955_a0738e931c_c.jpg

28031934688_4ce32e8c9a_c.jpg

28031934478_352384650b_c.jpg

40239626970_92a59ea3d1_c.jpg

40094284260_a242028a3d_c.jpg

Ah yeah, my hair was real nice that day.?

On 10/12/2018 at 6:15 PM, PMvdReek said:

dear Sir,

i am totally new at building MOC ships. I want to built a VOC Dutch ship. I would like to ask for your help. I am living in Holland. I love your work.

i like to learn.........

hope hearing from jou.

Greetings,

Peter

You can look up my build a frigate tutorial under the tutorial section. That might be helpful. You may always send me a message if you get stuck at some point. Please do elaborate when you do do I can understand, pictures can also help with that. Good luck!

Thank you, kind sir!  I immediately sat down and built one in LDD.  Very clever work on your part, as usual.

Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous, I can make it to one of these shows to see some of your ships in person.  Keep up the amazing work!

On 11/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

Thank you, kind sir!  I immediately sat down and built one in LDD.  Very clever work on your part, as usual.

Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous, I can make it to one of these shows to see some of your ships in person.  Keep up the amazing work!

When your rich and famous you'll send me a ticket to fly as well right?  Lol

That's a mighty 64er! I love the old (ancient) 1x1 windows. I have just a few from my parent's childhood. Looking forward to buy some one day:) Also a nice colour scheme. So far I stuck with the black and yellow scheme, primarily because I already had these bricks and especially using black as the main part, yellow just fits the best in my opinion.

And nice pictures from the meeting in Wetteren. Hope, one day my ship(s) will attend such a gathering, too. Instead of being covered by dust in the cellar.

Does anyone know the white hulled frigate with the beige stripe and dark green gun ports? So far my favourite colours I have seen on a Lego ship. Would appreciate, if someone could provide a link.

Greetings,
Wellesley

20 hours ago, Wellesley said:

Does anyone know the white hulled frigate with the beige stripe and dark green gun ports? So far my favourite colours I have seen on a Lego ship. Would appreciate, if someone could provide a link.

Found her:)

This ship looks fantastic! The bow and the stern are very well built, I like all these golden ornaments, and good job with the functional rigging.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, Wellesley said:

That's a mighty 64er! I love the old (ancient) 1x1 windows. I have just a few from my parent's childhood. Looking forward to buy some one day:) Also a nice colour scheme. So far I stuck with the black and yellow scheme, primarily because I already had these bricks and especially using black as the main part, yellow just fits the best in my opinion.

And nice pictures from the meeting in Wetteren. Hope, one day my ship(s) will attend such a gathering, too. Instead of being covered by dust in the cellar.

Greetings,
Wellesley

Green/tan frigate

dark blue/tan frigate

For this year participating in one of these gatherings is a bit too late, we are meeting this weekend at Brickmania Antwerpen, but next year there is another chance :pir-wink:

Oh how very delighted to see work from you again! I remember you back in the day making great mocs that were for its time outstanding (and still do look impressive). To see a built which is modern in a sense and very accurate to the real life counterpart from you, is a very nice surprise. Amazing how you managed to make such a convincing build out of a standard hull. Would be nice to see it with everything under the waterline. 

That's the thing about CGH. He only need to build one ship a year and we'll happily spend the wait time hitting Ctrl and + until he makes another. :grin: