Sign in to follow this  
CrispyBassist

New Haven Railroad GP-9

I recently rebuilt my GP-9 to resolve some aspects of it that I was unhappy about. Here's the final result:

41167307331_3aae221761_z.jpgNew Haven GP-9 Rebuild by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

Primarily, I rebuilt it so that the section around the battery box and IR receiver is truly 5-studs wide. After that, I added the fuel ports to the sides of the fuel tank. Then, being inspired by Aaron Burnett's amazing Central of Georgia GP-9, I modified the ends using less-than-half-stud offsets to get rid of the stepped slope typically seen when using cheese slopes. I also added lights using Brickstuff's new Power Functions Power Source v2, which includes directional lights. Unfortunately when I moved back to NY I misplaced my controller, so I haven't tested it yet... Stickers from OK Brick Works and Jim Pirzyk. 

41167311941_a708bff6bd_z.jpgNew Haven GP-9 Rebuild by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

39356854530_10e8ef055f_z.jpgNew Haven GP-9 Rebuild by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

And here's the pre-rebuild version:

15253815597_869f6ac765_z.jpgNYNH&H GP-9 by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

every moc I see on this site is amazing! this is great!!! keep up the good work :)

Great model with lots of attention to detail. I especially like the red barriers.

Nice!  But is the red vinyl really that far off from the brick or is it just the photo?

An excellent build made even better, great work. The trucks on that locomotive are incredible (even if they are unchanged from v1.0, full album here). My only quibble is that the Midwest lost such a great builder for the east coast (grin)

Thanks, all for the kind words!

20 hours ago, pirzyk said:

Nice!  But is the red vinyl really that far off from the brick or is it just the photo?

Just the photo, the reds match very nicely in reality. 

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

An excellent build made even better, great work. The trucks on that locomotive are incredible (even if they are unchanged from v1.0, full album here). My only quibble is that the Midwest lost such a great builder for the east coast (grin)

The trucks have changed, though that was done previously. Here's the current trucks:

23220403675_60f9d95779_z.jpgNYNH&H GP-9 Truck Detail by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

As you know, I personally like using PF train motors with plate-built sides. I've got similar setups on my RDC and my three big boxcabs (with a fourth in the works). Sorry to switch teams on ya, though NY was where I started out :-)

I finally found the box my PF remote was hiding in and was able to test the Brickstuff Power Functions adapter v2 that I built into this loco:

40952263970_503a2a7650_z.jpgHeadlight Test by Matt Csenge, on Flickr

I've got it on the red input and the motors on the blue, so I can control them independently if I wish. So far I'm very happy with the way it works!

Edited by CrispyBassist
Bad link (click "Headlight Test" to go to the video)...