VBBN

Eurobricks Glinch Royale Competition (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

41059288512_b03debf511_h.jpg

Have you ever wondered what would happen when we finally just lost it and decided to do a contest based around Galidor? Well we've gone and done it, welcome to the Glinch Royale! Before you ask, this is not, I repeat, NOT an April Fools day joke. This is the real deal, with some really awesome prizes up for grabs. Your mission is to show off your building skills in a choice of two different categories. For those not in-the-know, Galidor was a one-time line released back in 2002 which had a very unique selection of parts. While it's existence has been little more than a joke, it also makes the perfect challenge for this building competition.

Category A is the Galidor Free-Build. In this category, you will be building whatever you want to build- the catch being that you are only allowed to use Galidor parts. What's that? You don't have Galidor parts? Then you'd better get over to Bricklink / Ebay / Amazon and get some! Scroll down further and see what prizes are up for grabs- it'll be worth it.

Category B is the Galidor-Free Build. In this category, you will be tasked with re-creating something from the original Galidor series, whether it's one of the original toys, or even just a design from the TV series that never made it to toy shelves. The catch here is that these creations absolutely cannot contain any Galidor parts. You have to recreate those unique pieces and shapes using the collections of constraction parts, system, and whatever else you may have!

So which category should and can you enter? You can enter only one if you'd like, however you can and should enter both. There are three prizes up for grabs, and the winner will be determined based on how many votes they get across both categories. So if you only enter one category, you aren't going to have as strong of a chance as someone who enters both. So get to reading the rules below, and then get building!

Entry Rules

• Entries must be posted by May 6th, 11:59 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time).
  • Unlimited entries per member per category. All of your votes for you entries will be tallied up.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously)
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, etc. Lego pieces with printing removed are acceptable, however no painting or otherwise modified pieces.
  • Digital Entries not allowed
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Action Figures forum. The title of the topic should begin with "[Galidor Category A/B]" and then give the name of the entry.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 5 posted pictures of 1024x768 pixels or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. The first picture will be used for your entry in the voting thread.
  • Photos of your creation can be manipulated with Photoshop for levels, proportions and color correction but may not include graphic enhancements.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

Voting Rules

• You must have been a member before the official launch of this contest (March 31st join date or earlier) to be eligible to vote.
  • Polls will be held separately for both categories. Depending on the number of entries, we may have to add in additional preliminary voting polls to narrow down the choices. Ultimately, there will be no less than two final polls to vote in, one for Category A and one for Category B.
  • You may vote once in each poll. If we find that you are voting from multiple accounts, administrative action will be taken and you will be disqualified from the competition.
  • Winners will be determined based on the total number of votes between both categories. Just because you win one poll, doesn't necessarily mean you have won the competition.

The Prizes

• 40256820725_84e63b44a3_b.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be determined by the members with the most overall votes between both categories, otherwise known as the "total score." Please see the voting rules above for more information on this.

Now get cracking and start building those entries!

And a special thanks to Prince Galidor himself and toothdominoes for helping to get these prizes organized and collaborating with us on this competition!

A Galidor contest.... What a day to be alive.

BTW, the pic is not showing :look:

5 hours ago, Square said:

The law doesn't seem to mention LDD usage, I'll check in if I have the motivation. 

Digital entries will not be permitted - I've modified the rules to reflect this, not sure how that one missed getting entered.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

A Galidor contest.... What a day to be alive.

BTW, the pic is not showing :look:

I've uploaded the image into the Eurobricks server so it should be appearing now

1 hour ago, heyitsdisty said:

So both categories are the Galidor Free-Build? ;)

Galidor-Free Build and Galidor Free-Build...

Also everyone please note one other modification ; we will be allowing multiple entries per member per category, we want to encourage lots of participation here. Any votes you get on all of your entries will be counted towards your vote total.

Haha, I dig it. Lord knows I might put in a creation in Category 2. I don't think I even have any Galidor parts? Maybe some spare from random purchases.

(you can keep that art book though, I still need to organize giveaways and contests for my remainders...)

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Now this is fantastic! *oh2*:thumbup: Where can I find the entry thread?

As per the rules, please make a new thread here in AF for each MOC you plan to enter; just be sure to identify whether this is for Category A or Category B. 

• Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Action Figures forum. The title of the topic should begin with "[Galidor Category A/B]" and then give the name of the entry.

I'm curious, when you say recreation, can you re-imagine the thing you're building, or is it a strict recreation of it?

I just noticed those strange symbols are actually an alphabetic font, wow! Most of it I can decipher:

"THE GREAT GLINCH SWITCH"

"GO FOR THE PRON?E . STATE OF THE ART"

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY PLEASE SEE THE CONTEST TOPIC FOR FU?L DETAILS AND GUIDELINES"

16 hours ago, VBBN said:

As per the rules, please make a new thread here in AF for each MOC you plan to enter; just be sure to identify whether this is for Category A or Category B. 

I read that, sorry! I'm used to GoH, where there is always a separate thread where all the links to the entry topics are to be posted. I suppose that would be done in this thread, then?

1 hour ago, Venefic said:

I didn't even know there used to be a gladiator theme of some sort...

Uh... read it again: ga-li-dor. :wink: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Galidor and the TV series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310457/ 

Just to clear up, are rubber bands/alternate ways to attach parts allowed for the Galidor Free-Build?

Are non-set topics for the Galidor-free build allowed, such as vehicles or characters seen in the show?

Also, is it possible that all three winners can be from only one category, or will there be three winners for each category?

Edited by FordianL

uwu What's this?

Got no Galidor parts and am in no inclination to go and buy any. Maybe.

But the other category has peaked my interest. I'll see if I can throw something together.

Galidor contest... What a time to be alive.

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

t, sorry! I'm used to GoH, where there is always a separate thread where all the links to the entry topics are to be posted. I suppose that would be done in this thread, then?

No worries- I may start such a thread soon to keep track and to make sure we do not miss any entries, however the official way to enter is by creating new threads for each entry.

33 minutes ago, FordianL said:

Just to clear up, are rubber bands/alternate ways to attach parts allowed for the Galidor Free-Build?

Are non-set topics for the Galidor-free build allowed, such as vehicles or characters seen in the show?

Also, is it possible that all three winners can be from only one category, or will there be three winners for each category?

1) Category A is purely galidor parts- nothing can be used that wasn't in a galidor set. You can head over to Nick V's twitter https://twitter.com/princegalidor?lang=en to see some awesome examples of what can be done with just Galidor parts

2) Yes you are free to use any Galidor design for Category B, whether it is something that was created as a set, or just characters/vehicles in the show that were never created as sets.

3) The winners will be determined by how many votes they rack up in total across both categories. 

So really you have a chance to win regardless if you choose to enter only one or both categories- but each member of Eurobricks gets to vote once in each poll, so if you enter both categories, then you have a chance of getting up to 2 votes from each member, whereas you would only be able to get up to 1 vote per member if you entered just one category. You are just giving yourself better odds, so there is more incentive there to enter both categories.

14 hours ago, Cocoa said:

I'm curious, when you say recreation, can you re-imagine the thing you're building, or is it a strict recreation of it?

We want to see people trying to recreate some of the difficult shapes and designs of the original Galidor sets, but certainly if you have some changes or interesting ideas in mind we would love to see that

I just watched a few episodes of the Galidor TV show. It's was painful. I can't find a single cool thing to build. This is going to be tough!

Howdy Eurobricks people, new bloke here.

Found this contest from Prince Galidor’s Flickr, and I’ve got an entry for Category A prepped to go.

Just inquiring (probably on behalf of others as well as myself) about the second rule that requires all entrants to have been members before March the 31st – is it possible that this could this be reviewed?

I fully understand how that’s necessary for voting, but it just seems strange that this should apply to entrants as well – wouldn’t this be unfavourable for both competition and attraction of new members?

If the contest and prizes were intended to be a Eurobricks member exclusive from the start, then I’ll be content with that decision (can’t say I spent that much time on my entry) – but I’d appreciate it if we could get an explanation for this rule, or if it’s straight up reconsidered.

Cheers.

I'd also like to second what Poor Disadvantaged has said.

I was personally pretty gutted to find out I can't enter since this is a contest I would have a lot of interest in. I didn't feel particularly great when I started planning what I wanted to enter only to find out I was ineligible (and if I recall correctly that rule was added after the contest was initially announced, and was only a rule for voting before then).

Me and a great many other builders are fairly new blood when it comes to the MOCing scene so many of us have never really stumbled across Eurobricks until now (many newer MOCists may not have even heard of Eurobricks until now, or only heard it in passing).

Me, as well as others on my behalf would be extremely grateful if some sort of solution could be reached, whether it be the removal of the rule or some sort of white-list for newer MOCists, or some other solution.

Thanks, Anthony.

I would like to third the statements made by Poor-Disadvantaged and The Secret Walrus.

As mentioned by Poor-Disadvantaged, I completely understand why members that have joined post-March 31 should not be allowed to vote as that would allow the ballot to be tampered with, however I feel as if it is unfair to not allow any entries from new members, especially if the contest is what attracted them to the site. 

Personally I have been a fan of Galidor for years and was super excited to see that this contest was going on. I have even completed the majority of my entry and have several Bricklink orders on the way that I specifically ordered to complete it. I was rather disappointed to see that this rule was added in to say the least.

I feel like I speak for a lot of potential builders when I say that I greatly hope that you will remove this rule.

Kind regards, Alex.

13 hours ago, Poor Disadvantaged said:

Howdy Eurobricks people, new bloke here.

Found this contest from Prince Galidor’s Flickr, and I’ve got an entry for Category A prepped to go.

Just inquiring (probably on behalf of others as well as myself) about the second rule that requires all entrants to have been members before March the 31st – is it possible that this could this be reviewed?

I fully understand how that’s necessary for voting, but it just seems strange that this should apply to entrants as well – wouldn’t this be unfavourable for both competition and attraction of new members?

If the contest and prizes were intended to be a Eurobricks member exclusive from the start, then I’ll be content with that decision (can’t say I spent that much time on my entry) – but I’d appreciate it if we could get an explanation for this rule, or if it’s straight up reconsidered.

Cheers.

12 hours ago, The Secret Walrus said:

I'd also like to second what Poor Disadvantaged has said.

I was personally pretty gutted to find out I can't enter since this is a contest I would have a lot of interest in. I didn't feel particularly great when I started planning what I wanted to enter only to find out I was ineligible (and if I recall correctly that rule was added after the contest was initially announced, and was only a rule for voting before then).

Me and a great many other builders are fairly new blood when it comes to the MOCing scene so many of us have never really stumbled across Eurobricks until now (many newer MOCists may not have even heard of Eurobricks until now, or only heard it in passing).

Me, as well as others on my behalf would be extremely grateful if some sort of solution could be reached, whether it be the removal of the rule or some sort of white-list for newer MOCists, or some other solution.

Thanks, Anthony.

12 hours ago, Constraction Deva said:

I would like to third the statements made by Poor-Disadvantaged and The Secret Walrus.

As mentioned by Poor-Disadvantaged, I completely understand why members that have joined post-March 31 should not be allowed to vote as that would allow the ballot to be tampered with, however I feel as if it is unfair to not allow any entries from new members, especially if the contest is what attracted them to the site. 

Personally I have been a fan of Galidor for years and was super excited to see that this contest was going on. I have even completed the majority of my entry and have several Bricklink orders on the way that I specifically ordered to complete it. I was rather disappointed to see that this rule was added in to say the least.

I feel like I speak for a lot of potential builders when I say that I greatly hope that you will remove this rule.

Kind regards, Alex.

Normally our competition have this rule in place to prevent members from joining solely to enter the contest and then disappearing- however in this case, I am going to revert back to the rule that we had used in the Battle For the Golden Mask competition and allow anyone to enter regardless of when they have joined, hopefully you will engage further in our forums and be more than just lurkers! 

I look forward to seeing your entries.

7 minutes ago, VBBN said:

Normally our competition have this rule in place to prevent members from joining solely to enter the contest and then disappearing- however in this case, I am going to revert back to the rule that we had used in the Battle For the Golden Mask competition and allow anyone to enter regardless of when they have joined, hopefully you will engage further in our forums and be more than just lurkers! 

I look forward to seeing your entries.

Thank you for the understanding. Really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, VBBN said:

I am going to revert back to the rule that we had used in the Battle For the Golden Mask competition and allow anyone to enter regardless of when they have joined, hopefully you will engage further in our forums and be more than just lurkers!

I fully support this decision! I was a lurker until the Pimp my Camper Van contest years ago. I didn't create an account until then, and even though I couldn't vote in that contest, being able to enter got me hooked and now I check in at EB almost daily.

As for the contest at hand, I don't own any Galidor, have no plans to acquire any, and am still slightly skeptical this thing is even real--you really could have chosen a better day to announce an actual Galidor contest than April Fools. Heck, some other sites even included this in their roundup of pranks. Yet here we are, three days later still talking about it as if it's real, so either you're playing the long game here, or this is legit. :shrug_confused:

Shucks, maybe I'll enter Cat B, if for no other reason than to play along. :wink: