Luis Gonzalez

Lost when coming back to Lego 30 years later

Hi all, 

First of all let me introduce myself. I tried to find the "hello my name is" thread but the link didn't work.

I'm Luis, Spanish, 43 years old and I'm back into Lego Technic after 30 years. I loved building but then life became more difficult and full of other things.

Last year I decided to build something I dreamt -but couldn't afford- when I was younger. With my kids we built the 42009 crane and I was proud (until I saw what the master builders were achieving). Wow!

Anyway, I'd like to go further. I've already improved some details but I'd like to follow some of the MOCs or try to make some. The problem is that I'm a bit lost in this new universe. 

I see there are online stores, forums, places to share instructions, lists of parts, sw to design Lego, files, MOCs (and a lot of other letters), etc. People talk about things I don't even know. And I can't find a guide for new-old beginners.

Can someone give me an overview? I've tried to search the forum before asking, but only found the glossary and the rules. I'm sure other people are in my same situation. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi! Welcome to Eurobricks!

It can be overwelming at first, LEGO has progressed a lot over the years.

For the online stores, Bricklink seems like the one I see people talk about the most. I've never used it myself, but i have browsed it quite a bit. They have every set produced as well as every brick in every color produced.

For insturctions for Official sets, you can either use the LEGO database on LEGO.com or a great webstie called letsbuilditagain.com. I've used both and they have been really helpful.

For custom MOC, it never hurts to ask a builder if they've made some instructions to go along with their model.

For software (which is what i assume sw stands for?) there are a bunch of programs. I use the Official LEGO Digital Designer, but there is also Stud.io and a few others. If you want to get into digital LEGO though, i'd start with LDD, it's simple and really easy to use.

If you get into digital building though, you'll probably want to make some nice high-quality digital renders, which bluerender is the easiest to get into. Here is a Eurobricks thread explaining how to use it.

I think I covered most of your questions. If you've got any more, feel free to ask! We're all a pretty helpful and fun bunch around here!

Hello and welcome back to Lego!:classic: i hope I can help you at least a little. i think Lego itself has changed quite a lot over the recent years. I think especially in the last 15 actually. So many new pieces and a sheer explosion of building techniques. I would give it time getting my head around learning these new techniques. That doesn't happens overnjght. I am not a technic-builder myself (rather city and fantasy- themes really), but from what I have seen the building standard there can be quite discouraging initially. I recommend getting hold of new sets and analyzing them as you build.

Speaking of building: a lot people design their MOCs digitally with the Lego Digital Designer (LDD). Some even only create them digitally and don't actually build them anymore.

As for stores, there is of course the official Lego store. But places like amazon are good sources for sets too. And there is of course bricklink, which is a kind of ebay for single pieces, used and new. Be aware that prices at bricklink and terms and conditions vary from seller to seller.

Edit: seems Blackbird was faster. No surprise with that name!:laugh:

Edited by Littleworlds

Thanks a lot my friends!:grin: Very helpful. Now I have some clues to follow.

Yes, lots of new staff. I've been surprised by some clever new pieces along the process of building the big mobile crane. I also like cars, trucks and anything that "works". Building, understanding and improving them appeals the engineer boy in me.

Right, sw means software. Besides bricklink and ldd these people seem to use cad and other staff which I don't know if I really need.

Being more specific about my questions, in some threads the expert builders were talking about MODs. It seems that they had prepared instructions and a list of pieces. Then others could substract the original set to come up with a list of additional pieces. Then order them via internet. But I don't know how / where to do it.

I guess I can research more myself but is there a guide to it, or at least the names of the resources I need? Thanks.

20 hours ago, Luis Gonzalez said:

And I can't find a guide for new-old beginners.

Can someone give me an overview?

Well, Lego Technic isn't really that what it was back in the 80s and 90s. The change to studless design has increased the number of parts (now, you need zillions of connectors) and decreased the stabiliy of the models.

However, there is a book that fuides you thorugh both the old and the new Lego Technic world:
https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-LEGO-Technic-Builders-Guide/dp/1593277601/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522584138&sr=8-3&keywords=lego+technic+book

2 hours ago, Carrera124 said:

Well, Lego Technic isn't really that what it was back in the 80s and 90s. The change to studless design has increased the number of parts (now, you need zillions of connectors) and decreased the stabiliy of the models.

However, there is a book that fuides you thorugh both the old and the new Lego Technic world:
https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-LEGO-Technic-Builders-Guide/dp/1593277601/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522584138&sr=8-3&keywords=lego+technic+book

Thanks!

Why did they change to studless? I suppose they had their reasons.

24 minutes ago, Luis Gonzalez said:

Why did they change to studless? I suppose they had their reasons.

In some interview, a Lego designer said that the studless design allows them to create more complex constructions. Because without the studs, the basic grid is quadrat in all 3 dimensions.
That sounds reasonable to me, but I don't like studless anyway.

Edited by Carrera124

I've found some info regarding my own question

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/158862-is-there-a-way-to-list-which-parts-i-need-for-a-moc/

I copy the text 

The OpenSource software BrickStock allows you to import set inventory lists from BrickLink (for official sets) and from LDraw files (which can be exported from your own design in LDD).

You can then subtract the parts of another set from the ones of your model which leaves you with the missing pieces (ignoring negative numbers).