TwistLaw

The truth behind the infamous Ninjago "constraction" blade

Some of you may remember that last fall there was some sort of dicussion concerning a blade piece, which at the time was going to debut in a 2018 Ninjago set.

While it clearly looked like a piece designed with constraction in mind, it made its first appearance in a System set. Some of us, me included, thought it could be a hint that something was about to happen in the constraction departement. As we all know, it wasn't the case, but simply because we were looking in the wrong direction: it wasn't a hint about constraction's near future, but about its near past.
Infact, once I got my hands on the piece thanks to Bricklink, I immediately noticed a tiny detail...

2Dr1Cod.jpg

(sorry for potato quality)

As you can somewhat see, the piece was trademarked in 2016, and yet we get to see it only in 2018. But why?
Because it was a piece designed for BIONICLE G2's third year. Since development of new sets usually happens at least 12 months before they hit stores, it's highly possibile that in late 2015 designers were already working on 2017 sets, and this blade piece was on of those that was fully designed before the decision to axe the line was made. Since it already was in their pool of "trademarked pieces", why not using it? And there we are.

Sure, this is not a 100% foolproof theory, but because of the year printed on the blade and the fact we first saw it only in 2018, I don't think there are many other alternatives. Chances are that we might see more "unreleased pieces" in the near future, since it's safe to assume a huge chunk of G2's third year was already designed when the reboot was canned.

Edited by TwistLaw

That is interesting. I bet they would have been used for the 2017 villians. I don't see it as a Toa weapon.

Makes me wonder if they have a full mold of the the MOUP laying around. Seeing as there were prototypes of it.

Edited by Takanuinuva

This part is definitely inspired by BIONICLE, but it's linked in a different way!

After BIONICLE concluded, several of the designers that worked on the theme were moved over to Ninjago and began looking at the 2018 lineup while the other Ninjago designers (myself included) were still finishing up with the Ninjago Movie sets (hence the earlier 2016 trademark). Ninjago often uses Constraction parts (blades especially!) in their sets because they allow for sturdy and lightweight shapes - with the expertise from the BIONICLE designers, it was only fitting that we'd make a Constraction element specifically for Ninjago!

14 minutes ago, Brickthing said:

This part is definitely inspired by BIONICLE, but it's linked in a different way!

After BIONICLE concluded, several of the designers that worked on the theme were moved over to Ninjago and began looking at the 2018 lineup while the other Ninjago designers (myself included) were still finishing up with the Ninjago Movie sets (hence the earlier 2016 trademark). Ninjago often uses Constraction parts (blades especially!) in their sets because they allow for sturdy and lightweight shapes - with the expertise from the BIONICLE designers, it was only fitting that we'd make a Constraction element specifically for Ninjago!

Wow, good information! Thanks for clearing that up!

17 hours ago, Brickthing said:

Thanks for sharing this, it's really cool to be able to interact with LEGO designers. I hope we'll be seeing more brand new constraction parts in Ninjago, that blade was gorgeous :D

Man... I'd SOOO be down with some Rhakshi or Makuta sets with those blades, alas...

Very cool!

I really hope the folks who worked in Constraction continue to throw some of these kind of parts into System sets.

I'm going to need to see if I can get my hands on some of those blades. 

5 hours ago, Kalhiki said:

I'm going to need to see if I can get my hands on some of those blades. 

They're smaller than they seem. Unless you do something really creative or use them as part of a bigger weapon, as a single piece they're a better fit for Protector sized mocs.

Said that, the blade piece itself looks great in hand. Very sleek, a simple yet distinctive design, tons of possibilities for moccers. Alongside the dagger from the Praetorian Guard set, this is the single best constraction piece we got since the end of G2.

On 3/31/2018 at 2:23 PM, TwistLaw said:

As you can somewhat see, the piece was trademarked in 2016, and yet we get to see it only in 2018. But why?

because it is common story. for example, this part was introduced in 2012 but has 2010 copyright on it.

16 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

They're smaller than they seem. Unless you do something really creative or use them as part of a bigger weapon, as a single piece they're a better fit for Protector sized mocs.

Said that, the blade piece itself looks great in hand. Very sleek, a simple yet distinctive design, tons of possibilities for moccers. Alongside the dagger from the Praetorian Guard set, this is the single best constraction piece we got since the end of G2.

Yeah, not sure what I'd use it for. I know it's small, but like you said, it's just a good looking piece. It'd just be nice to have some on hand in case I find a use for it.

Two of them side by side look pretty good as a sword. Though it doesn't work with the standard hilt piece that other ccbs swords use. (Laval, Brain Attack Stormer, Etc)

Loads of things have this, not just LEGO. I have a Tenth Doctor action figure, with 2004 on his foot, despite the character only been introduced on Christmas Day 2005, and the filming in 2004 consisting of the Ninth Doctor. Things like this happen a lot.

Edited by The LEGO Communist