Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone !

I'm opening this topic to show you some of my creations, which are small and/or not very technical and do not deserve a separate topic imho.

I'll try to keep this first post updated, it will act as a summary with links to the different posts to make them easy to find.

Feel free to comment, ask questions and give your opinion on this topic. Constructive advice and tips are always welcome :) I'll answer as soon as possible. Also, I'm french and my English can be messy sometimes, so if ever you read something I wrote that you don't understand, that's probably not you being tired ^^

Enjoy !

Manual tractor and second version

40403015784_3d5fb77c9d_q.jpg 41216112732_fcb28f9543_q.jpg

Edited by PG52

Hi everyone !

This is the first small MOC I'd like to present here : a manual tractor. Not a big and powerful one, but a small tractor like those you can find in many farms in France : they are used for works that do not require a lot of power, such as cutting the grass, clearing snow, carrying small trailers...

40403015784_3d5fb77c9d_c.jpg

Aesthetics is quite basic, but I included some details : mudguards, front and rear lights + flashing light on the roof, openable hood, exhaust chimney, tow ball...

41113588631_6db477924a_c.jpg

40218997055_c0dc0033ed_c.jpg

27240830088_b44cf6f08f_c.jpg

The cabin includes a red seat, a working steering wheel, a (sort of) dashboard, ventilation grids and the lever for the PTO on the right side.

39305040020_b05d363b80_c.jpg

Hood opened :

40403008094_82a2f3f286_c.jpg

Underside :

26242280437_eded6bb73c_c.jpg

This tractor has some features : rear wheel drive, an inline 4 cylinder engine, steering, disengageable rear PTO, pendular suspension on front axle, and a tool lifting device at the back just like real ones.

Here are some views of the mechanics. Color code is as following :

- Grey = chassis

- Yellow = propulsion + i4 engine

- Red = PTO, dark red = lever for engaging PTO

- Blue = steering

- Green = pendular suspension

- Tan = tool lifting device

- Brown = towballs for tool

- Pink = towball for trailer

26243683347_6b816f571e_c.jpg

Propulsion and PTO :

26243682737_36e7e31ccf_c.jpg

Steering with accurate Ackermann geometry and pendular suspension. Sadly, there is no hog because everything already barely fit inside ^^ But even if the steering wheel is quite accessible, a HOG would be a great improvement for playability.

26243682607_63de7c4979_c.jpg

Tool lifting device : a complete lift requires 7 rotations of the 12t gear on top. Yon can see the position of the PTO (red) and the trailer towball (pink).

26243682397_3c231cc461_b.jpg

I really took pleasure building and improving this MOC over time, it's been built for over a month now and I think it's now finished. I don't know if I'll make a second version to implement a HOG, that would be a good improvement but I have other plans for now :)

Video will come as soon as possible : I'm waiting for some good weather, as I'm only have an old camera which requires stability and strong light to take nice videos. Pictures are not a problem, as I can set a slow shutter speed.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it !

2 hours ago, PG52 said:

Steering with accurate Ackermann geometry and pendular suspension. Sadly, there is no hog because everything already barely fit inside ^^ But even if the steering wheel is quite accessible, a HOG would be a great improvement for playability.

It's a very nice and accurate solution to move the steering rack (racks, in your case) outside of a pendular axis. I like the way how you did it. :thumbup:

Nice little model. That steering solution is cool. Thanks for adding those pictures of the internals, they show a lot more. 

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Very well done, I like it a lot. Fine looks, clever steering and suspension and useful engagement of the PTO. The only thing that bugs me is that the hoist looks so massive with the mini LAs. But for this size that's almost impossible to do anything about. This is even a problem for the much larger 42054 Claas. Makes me wish for smaller LA's.

Very neat tractor, way more interesting than it looks for the first glance. Could be even official set, I like it a lot! :thumbup:

Very nice tractor it has a lot of clever solutions with a different style, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your MOCs.

Nice little tractor. I like functions but hog steering would be practical

Thanks everyone for your comments ! Glad you like my little tractor :classic:

On 30/03/2018 at 11:54 PM, GroundskeeperWillie said:

The only thing that bugs me is that the hoist looks so massive with the mini LAs. But for this size that's almost impossible to do anything about. This is even a problem for the much larger 42054 Claas. Makes me wish for smaller LA's.

Yeah, sadly the hoist has to be this massive : I first wanted to use a worm gear like on #8284, but it didn't look great at all... I agree with you, small cylinders would be nice for many features that only need a small stroke. Actually, I could have used small pneumatic cylinders, which would fit quite well in terms of length, but they are yellow and I would need to add a pump somewhere ^^

I was told on french forum Techlug that the roof and the front didn't look so great, and that were the parts I liked the least on this MOC. So I decided to go for a V2, and this time, I managed to fit a HOG in !

The axle of the HOG is connected to a triplet of 12t gears, just above the differential, which drive a 8t-rack on each side just as it works for the steering wheel. I used the old 10t racks : it may be possible to only use parts that are still produced today, and I'll probably try to improve this point in the near future as this MOC has been really pleasant to develop till then :)

The rear axle is narrower in order to better fit the scale. I also had to add one more stud between front and rear axles, otherwise the hood looked quite odd (I'm not building a Cyrano Dutra, or even odder - but really nice-looking to my mind -, a Bisomtrac ^^).

I also added some details : working lights and mirrors. Those inverted slopes are really practical for this application !

Some pictures :

41259835291_3f9a221ed7_c.jpg

41216165622_4d63b790e1_c.jpg

Cabin, with new seat and dashboard, flat roof, working lights, mirrors... :

39450519950_e2e45cbda7_c.jpg

The front end is more agressive than before. Notice that the cabin is now narrower at the top (10t) than at its base (11t) : I used frictionless pins to make the angle of the thin cab pillars, but the main chassis is rigid and geometrically correct.

41216112732_fcb28f9543_c.jpg

Open hood :

41216094002_6f8a88e4e2_c.jpg

Another try with a black hood :

39450457530_36f2eb620d_c.jpg

The chassis is much cleaner and more compact. Here is the underside view : I had to replace the 24t-8t for the fake engine by a 20t-12t to keep the chassis solid and rigid.

39450536650_046f446e88_c.jpg

Great weather is announced for this week-end, I'm gonna be able to make a little video :) Hope you enjoyed this second version !

Edited by PG52

Very nice tractor!  :thumbup: Very compact!

I'm wondering if the steering solution is not redundant? The linkage that goes from the left to right would make the wheels turn in unison no? Due to the Ackermann geometry, wouldn't the inner turn more than the outer, which would conflict with the rack motion, no? Or is there enough slack to absorb that? I think having one steering rack would look cleaner :classic: