Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

Kenworth T600 big scale RC + trailer

3 years ago I've decided that I'm getting tired of building medium-scale trucks and want to try something larger. Here's the result:

Truck:

Dimensions: 98 studs long / 29 studs wide / 43 studs tall
Weight: 5.7 kg
Motors: 14
Functions:

• drive with 2 PF XL motors on two rear axles
  • a 4-speed sequential remotely-controlled transmission connected with a gear stick in the cabin, which moves as the transmission shifts
  • front wheels steered using a virtual pivots steering system so that they can fit under realistically-sized mudguards
  • fake engine with a rotating chain belt and 2 rubber belts, driven by the propulsion motors bypassing the transmission
  • steering wheel rotating as the front wheels are steered
  • left and right cabin doors independently opened by motors
  • left and right sear independently adjusted forward/backward by motors
  • remotely locked/unlocked fifth wheel
  • openable sleeper with interior and interior lighting
  • fake microwave with internal lighting and rotating turntable in the sleeper (yes, seriously)
  • lighting kit by Brickstuff with 38 LEDs, featuring remotely-controlled turn signals, emergency lights, and automated reversing lights

Trailer:

Dimensions: 132 studs long / 30 studs wide / 22 studs tall
Weight: 3.07 kg
Motors: 3
Functions:

• remotely-controlled heavy-duty flip toe ramps
  • remotely-controlled parking outriggers
  • lever-operated winch
  • LED beacon by Brickstuff

Special thanks go to Brickstuff for all the lighting, Chrome Block City for beautifully chromed and engraved pieces, and Seven Studs for the awesome "Angry Hamster" hood ornament. Thank you guys!

Photos and detailed description: http://sariel.pl/2018/03/kenworth-t600/

Edited by Sariel

The model is terrific, no doubt about that, but I'm here to praise the camerawork. I don't remember you using these type of 6-dof camera movements, but I really like them. I think they add a lot of quality to the presentation, and it's refreshing to watch.

Thanks. It's my first time using camera movements like these, I have just purchased the DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal with tracking, and it's the only way I'm able to make these.

Been following for 3 years, you haven't let us down! That is a masterpiece that needs instant Hall of Fame access! Just the fact of 10.87 kilograms is mind bending.

Truely impressive truck and great camera-work. But at this scale I think inclined surfaces - like in the nose - could be much more smooth, even when they're brick-built. There are smaller brick-built scale models that are much more smooth.

The surely can be smooth, but you won't be able to open up the hood then. Look at the size of the openable section of the hood, and consider that it has to stay together while being attached to chassis only by the hinges. It's big, it's heavy and it can't disintegrate while being handled - so I found it necessary to build it this way. Inclined plates simply wouldn't be strong enough in my experience.

Spectacular work!! I've been waiting for this beast for a while, and it definitely has not disappointed. All of those small details like the microwave and all the lighting makes this work of art one of the best MOCs I've ever seen. Quick question, have you considered adding more XL motors or anything else to make the drivetrain more robust and work better for all 4 gears?

What a work of art, Sariel :wub:

I wouldn't be able to pull this off in three decades, let alone three years. The looks, the mechanics, all the little details are phenomenal. And I'm surprised that three out of four gears work reasonably well on such a heavy model, given the limits of Lego.

What are the various reduction ratios from motor to wheel?

35 minutes ago, ginger-snapped said:

Quick question, have you considered adding more XL motors or anything else to make the drivetrain more robust and work better for all 4 gears?

Not really. I never expected a model this big to be fast, and I'm a strong believer that 2 PF XL motors can move almost anything if used properly and efficiently. Admittedly, they would be probably more efficient without transmission and with some custom-built heavy-duty u-joints.

10 minutes ago, suffocation said:

What are the various reduction ratios from motor to wheel?

Sorry, I honestly don't remember, it's been well over 2 years since I've installed the transmission, and it's rather difficult to turn this model upside down to take a look. I will probably find out only when taking it apart.

Superb work! I'm most interested in the truck chassis. Did the axles ever bend under the weight of the truck? Did you shred any gears while driving it? Personally, I've found transmissions in lego to be unhelpful for larger vehicles; it's better to just have more motors and a simpler drivetrain. However just getting the whole consist to move is an achievement in itself. In terms of the batteries, I would try out the Buwizz as it makes the world of a difference for heavy vehicles. 

PS

The fake engine contrasts the red very well.

Edited by Beck

The only damage is the snapped u-joint, as shown in the video. Transmissions can be problematic, sure, but I'm using a strong and efficient one. You are welcome to try it, free building instructions are at my website: http://sariel.pl/downloads/

Edited by Sariel

This is beautiful! The scale is amazing, and all the details are truely outstanding! I like everything about this model! Keep up the awesome work!

That's another masterpiece in your collection, congrats :) Love all the functions and especially the attention to details. I really like how you used the Osmo, almost considering not selling mine :D Frequent refocusing is still visible though...

One small suggestion - it's better to turn off AF on your camera when you shoot in the dark, it will prevent focus hunting (it's very visible when you demonstrate the truck's lights).

Awesome work, love the microwave :laugh:. Have you thought about having a higher gear reduction in the final drive? As it is, its final drive ratio is 5:7, I'm surprised the universal joint moved 10kg with that ratio! 

@ginger-snapped Adding more XL motors is pointless because the two he already has is already enough to twist axles and break gears. IMHO a better route for heavyweight models is RC buggy motors. One has the power of two XL motors, less torque but with a higher speed, so when geared down after delicate components like UJs you get the same power but much less risk of breaking components. Only problem us buggy motors are too valuable to be left in a moc for 3 years :laugh:

This is huge and really nicely done.  I like the way that you have gone the extra mile to fill the space with as many functions as possible such as the microwave.  

Great Work and a good looking truck.  The chrome sets it all off.

It!s a beast, but very nice detailed beast. :thumbup:

It could perfectly fit LEGO Unimog in scale :wink: