Redhead1982

MOC The Rainbow Park

My latest and so far my largest creation was The Rainbow Park. The name originates from the colorful flower beds by the fence, where I tried to use the petals in all the colors I had. As can be seen, some are more common than the others. 

39258754970_4c0eb35723_c.jpg

The park sits on 12 (32x32 studs) baseplates in a 3 by 4 layout. It's fenced on two sides only, as the idea was that it extends beyond the city layout. Here's a view from the birds' perspective. 

39238692080_b0d86d222c_c.jpg

When I started building it, I knew I wanted to make the paths more round than straight, which is a challenge with bricks. Since I didn't have enough curved tiles in LBG, I experimented with round tiles to get this look. Here you can also see the flower beds by the fence and the changing colors of the petals.

41047547191_f2609c43cc_c.jpg

Although I had many ideas about what to include in the park, the building of this project actually started with the fence. This was meant as a collaboration project with @MstrOfPppts, and the fence idea was his design. He also gave feedback on other details. I initially wanted the fence in a non-SNOT position, but the SNOTed fence (as he suggested) looks much better. These ornamental fences create an interesting pattern.

41047579821_50ffdbb60b_c.jpg

The park offers activities for all generations, there's children playing with a ball, couples enjoying romantic picnic and boat ride, food vendors and elderly couples playing chess. 

40154435525_5ddb32a483_c.jpg

One of my favourite details, also a bit hidden from a view (especially if not looking at the right angle), are the neatly trimmed bushes spelling the name of Slovenian LUG (Kocke Klub). 

41047558441_fbc539c201_c.jpg

40339055954_d151e0549b_c.jpg

As always, more pictures from different angles and closeups of some details can be seen in my Flickr album

This looks beautiful. I love the water and how you've varied the blue colours towards the edges to create the effect of depth. The bridge looks lovely as well. Really great work.:thumbup::classic:

Beautiful creation! So many awesome details throughout the build! I like the way you built the fence with the sideways railings! Keep up the awesome work!

Wow, fantastic work @Redhead1982! I especially love the pathway, the usage of the Elves fences are definitely the best I've ever seen, the stone work on the bridge, the water, the trimmed bushes are really well made. So I especially love pretty everything! 

13 hours ago, Redhead1982 said:

41047579821_50ffdbb60b_c.jpg

This photo is my favorite one and it gave me two amazing ideas for a future build! So much inspiration and ideas to steal borrow only in one MOC! Thanks for sharing your absolutely amazing work! :wub:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Absolutely lovely! :classic: The landscaping and buildings are really nicely done, with great attention to detail - and it all looks so cute! Stunning work!

Very charming park!

I agree with whats been said, about the use of the fence pieces, inspired!

I'd love to see an extension with a adventure playground!

Well done! :thumbup:

Beautiful landscaping and walkways.  The chess game is very cute, and really like the fence pieces on their sides.  Well done!

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

Very nice layout!

So many things stand out here, but for me the best are the paths. They interact beautifully with all the foliage and the nicely made lake and the gorgeous bridge crossing it. Making parks is always costly, as so many little pieces require quite a large pocket. I wonder if you've added any of the new 2018 flowers. I personally prefer the older ones you've put, but the newer come in other colours, so might be interesting. Any chance you'll build some trees to go with the park? :wink:

PD: Love that hidden bust in the corner!

Wow, what an impressive display.

Not only is it impressive in size, but it is technically well done, and full of details and different small scenes - great composition! The rounded paths look awesome, as does the water with different colours depending on its depth. The "rainbow flowers" idea is lovely, and well executed. For me it is tough to name one single "best part" about this MOC, I think my personal favourite is the - fully functioning, w00t! - chess game.

A lovely addition to any Lego city, and overall just really well done! :thumbup:

Thanks for comments. 

On 30. 3. 2018 at 11:55 PM, LegoModularFan said:

This photo is my favorite one and it gave me two amazing ideas for a future build! So much inspiration and ideas to steal borrow only in one MOC! Thanks for sharing your absolutely amazing work! :wub:

I'm glad you found inspiration. Looking forward to see what you'll come up with. 

On 31. 3. 2018 at 12:05 PM, snaillad said:

I'd love to see an extension with a adventure playground!

At this point, the park will be taken apart. As it is, it takes half of the space on our kitchen table and is a constant distraction for my son during meals. I also have another large MOC waiting to be photographed after adding a few more details, and the kitchen table is the only one large enough. 

On 1. 4. 2018 at 10:12 AM, paupadros said:

Making parks is always costly, as so many little pieces require quite a large pocket. I wonder if you've added any of the new 2018 flowers. I personally prefer the older ones you've put, but the newer come in other colours, so might be interesting. Any chance you'll build some trees to go with the park? :wink:

I accumulated lots of foliage parts over the years, so I didn't buy any specifically for this project. I prefer the older flowers, too. I managed to collect a decent amount of 1x1 round plates with flower edge in some of the newer colors, but not yet the new flower molds. I'm still not sure if I like them or not. I guess I need to get more on my hands to decide. :laugh: They're still pricey on BL, so I only include a few in orange (you can see it here or on the third photo in the first post).

Red, Wow! So much lovely texture in the details! I wanna go to this park...sorry you only have ONE kitchen table. (Maybe TLC should buy you a few more tables!)

Building LEGO parks is such a hoot because there are so many newer pieces that really open the door to new designs. Your fences are just lovely. I am on the fence about the new flowers, too, but have oodles of old flowers and plants. And love building parks in Duplo as well because it encourages children to spend more time in nature.

This must have been a lot of fun to build! What a wonderful place for new moms to push their strollers and walk off those frustrations of caring for a baby on so little sleep. And for the elderly to meet up....it was delightful to see Chinese elders ballroom dancing, tai chi-ing and having a great time in their beautiful parks.  

Parks are an afterthought in most of the US; Americans prefer their backyards in most cases. It makes much more sense to have more dense housing and larger public parks like they do so well in China and other countries. My son has a small apartment near San Francisco, and my granddaughter plays in an amazing park three blocks away almost every day. Central Park in San Mateo. This is much better than large, empty backyards. We had no public parks where I grew up in West Texas, so the only alternative to playing in the yard or street was at the public school playgrounds. So glad to see the change toward the use of well maintained public parks. 

Beautiful creation! It looks very peaceful and relaxing :-)

Love the pathways and all the different flower beds. Didn't know that the different petals already exist in so many different colours. My favourite parts are the water and the bridge across it.