Bricked1980

Modular Convenience Store [My First MOC]

Hi Everyone

I'd like to share my first MOC design which I've been working on over the past few weeks. I decided to set myself a challenge to see if I could create a Modular building using just the parts taken from 3 of my existing sets.

41030662462_e5aaec4251_z_d.jpg

All the parts I used were taken from the 3 Creator sets above, 31036, 31050 and 31065. The only extra thing I added was a green 16 x 32 baseplate but apart from that, everything else is taken from those 3 sets.

So here is my very first MOC - The Modular Convenience Store

27201103698_d2bd6606aa_k_d.jpg

As you can see the model is 16 studs wide and is designed to fit in with the Modular building series. There are 3 levels and although it's essentially one building, I wanted to give the impression from the outside that it consists of 2 narrow buildings side by side with the main shop on the left and the tall blue section to the right.

40364554074_255c43c638_z_d.jpg40180111315_7028dcb14a_z_d.jpg40180134885_004a5aa499_z_d.jpg                  27201444108_af3356f184_z_d.jpg

40364561424_c4ceb04fda_z_d.jpg    

27201448048_fbe8d15739_z_d.jpg

26202558597_329eca1644_z_d.jpg

Level 1 - The Convenience Store

The first level of the building is the Convenience Store itself. Outside on the front we have a bench, street lamp, flower display and a fire hydrant. The main door at at the base of the blue tower gives access to the inside of the store.

40179813215_db6882a394_z_d.jpg

Inside the store there is a cash desk, fruit and vegetables and shelves with various items for sale. I also built a small shooping trolley for the minifigs to use with their shopping.

41073077251_f56b382755_z_d.jpg

40179772275_8d27158858_z_d.jpg

41030786242_4f9b489808_z_d.jpg

41030786542_d515776457_z_d.jpg

41030755732_2f2da343a0_z_d.jpg

A door at the back of the store gives access to the rear of the building. At the back is a staircase leading to the second level.

40364176374_db830e9399_z_d.jpg

Level 2 - Apartment

On the middle level is an apartment / studio flat. On the outside is a large Bay window and a door with a Juliet balcony looking out on to the street below.

40179813055_b4c560bd47_z_d.jpg

The inside of the apartment is pretty small but I have managed to squeeze in a kithcen, TV, bed, lamp, shelves, table and stool.

39264490370_5da05612eb_z_d.jpg

26202150287_ebe3d688f2_z_d.jpg

26202154607_06aa4496cd_z_d.jpg

41030814302_dc97a14de4_z_d.jpg

Level 3 and Roof

Outside again the only way for the minifigs to reach the next level is via a ladder on the back of the building.

40179749965_f3d4694487_z_d.jpg

41030828592_0349e2d2de_z_d.jpg

The top level consists of a small building and a roof top garden. The roof top building is extremely small (6 x 4 studs) but the roof can be removed and inside is a table with binoculars, a lamp and a brick built sweeping brush hanging on the wall.

27201161118_28e2ac640d_z_d.jpg

A door from this small building leads out in to the roof top garden. Here we have a BBQ, seat, plants and a glass covered vegetable patch.

41030826512_a36c235a72_z_d.jpg

41030827052_a70c3dea1f_z_d.jpg

41030827202_1c2066456e_z_d.jpg

27201161468_31576914aa_z_d.jpg

26202179437_efd41645fb_z_d.jpg

27201444238_8f27b4f988_k_d.jpg

Displaying the Model

Here are a selection of pics showing the model on display alongside Parisian Restaurant and Assembly Square.

40179818485_32443d10f5_z_d.jpg

40364264274_9c4bf74f8f_z_d.jpg

26202191397_12f34e59f4_z_d.jpg

40179820775_bcfd283814_z_d.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope you like the model, feel free to let me know what you think. If you want to see more pics then head over to my Flickr page where I've added loads more. https://www.flickr.com/photos/140122416@N02/albums

Edited by Bricked1980

That's a seriously cute half width modular, and it's only built with components from those three sets?! :thumbup: :grin:

I really dig the red and blue awning, plus the usage of the White arch window above the front door!

Nice work. Creating a building from just those three sets with their different color palettes is a real challenge, and you've pulled it off very well.

Very nice modular and great as a first MOC! Really well done considering part restrictions... I didn't expect to see a DO styled modular but a European one. But hey, it works out great! The interior isn't that nice though but you don't really have the choice to be better with those part restrictions... And nobody will really see it, so I don't mind. The rooftop details and the roof balcony are my favorite details, I also love the build of the shopping trolley! I'm sure you'll become a brilliant MOCer!

Now this modular built, you definitely need to buy the DO though :classic:

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's a seriously cute half width modular, and it's only built with components from those three sets?! :thumbup: :grin:

Thanks! :classic: Yes apart from the base plate it's completely limited to parts from those 3 sets.

3 hours ago, kodlovag said:

Really missing an extra middle level, but otherwise I like it pretty much. :thumbup:

Thanks. I would have liked to add an extra level but their just weren't enough bricks available. This is why I opted for the top level being split between a small enclosed building and a roof garden terace. This was the best way I could think of making it work with the limited parts available.

3 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

Nice work. Creating a building from just those three sets with their different color palettes is a real challenge, and you've pulled it off very well.

Thanks a lot. :classic: Yes although these sets contain plenty of bricks between them, I found the biggest challenge was figuring out how to combine all the different colours without it looking like too much of a patchwork quilt.

I was pleasantly surprised to find those 3 creator sets contain enough grey tiles when combined to create the trademark modular pavement along the base of the building and also enough to tile the tops of the walls between each module. Those sets definitely make great little parts packs for MOC builders.

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Very nice modular and great as a first MOC! Really well done considering part restrictions... I didn't expect to see a DO styled modular but a European one. But hey, it works out great!

Thanks a lot, and thanks to you for providing lots of inspiration via your "inspirational mocs" topic. :thumbup:

I'm glad you notice the subtle similarity to the shape of DO. I did set out with the original idea to create a MOC that looks as if it's a combination of more than one building. Although it didn't end up looking quite like DO, my intention was definitely to create something with that general shape and format.

Regarding the interior, again this all comes down to the fact I had limited myself to the parts I wanted to use. My main aim was to get the front facade looking half decent and then to use whatever I had left over to do the interior. I wasn't even sure whether I'd have enough bricks to do an inside at all. I'm quite pleased with how the inside worked out though.

1 hour ago, bamsham363 said:

very well done, and looks like a proper offering from TLG as well, love it

Thanks very much, that's very kind. :classic: 

Edited by Bricked1980

This is a very nice combination of parts using only three sets, yet filling out a 32x16 plot very effectively.  I also like the way it blends in with the other modulars.  Great job!

That's your first MOC? Wow. I think it's awesome!

Especially given that you set yourself such a big restriction by only using parts from those three Creator sets.

I'm particularly impressed by all of the little details in the façade.

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks a lot. :classic: Yes although these sets contain plenty of bricks between them, I found the biggest challenge was figuring out how to combine all the different colours without it looking like too much of a patchwork quilt.

I was pleasantly surprised to find those 3 creator sets contain enough grey tiles when combined to create the trademark modular pavement along the base of the building and also enough to tile the tops of the walls between each module. Those sets definitely make great little parts packs for MOC builders.

They sure are (or rather, were :().

With the exception of the toy shop (which leaned a bit too heavy on 1x bricks and specialized parts), I got multiples of all of them, just because they yielded so many bricks I could use.

Congratulations. As others already have mentioned, it's a great accomplishment to build a 16x32 modular with the restrictions you had. Well done ☺️. 

I also really like your presentation skills. 

Thanks very much for the kind comments @AFOLguy1970, @Agent 86 and @DK_Titan :classic:

4 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

They sure are (or rather, were :().

With the exception of the toy shop (which leaned a bit too heavy on 1x bricks and specialized parts), I got multiples of all of them, just because they yielded so many bricks I could use.

Yes I suppose the toy shop doesn't have quite as many useful parts as the others but it does have a shed load of windows and doors included. I think there are 21 tan coloured window and door frames in varying sizes in that set.

I agree it's a real shame that they don't seem to be making the Creator 3in1 buildings in that style any more.

On 28/03/2018 at 9:13 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Now this modular built, you definitely need to buy the DO though :classic:

Well I bought DD back in January and still haven't got round to starting that :sceptic: suppose I better get that one done before I buy any other modulars.

I have also got a few other ideas for possible future mocs which I would love to get started on. Hmmm, what to do next? :look::classic:

Edited by Bricked1980

Nice one!

This is a great example of what can be achieved using a limited selection of pieces. I started in similar fashion building modulars using only pieces from cafe corner and then the green grocer. Definitely more of a challenge looking back, but over time I've accumulated lots more pieces and learned more techniques, my guess is you'll probably do the same.

I'll be Interested to see what you build next.

Keep up the good work! :classic:

On 31/03/2018 at 6:09 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice modular building ...the floor I love the most is the little apartment with kitchen! :wub:

Thanks very much and glad you like it. :classic: I think the middle floor is my favourite too. Even though that one wasn't supposed to be the main focus of the building, I still think that floor probably turned out the best in the end.

On 31/03/2018 at 11:12 AM, snaillad said:

Nice one!

This is a great example of what can be achieved using a limited selection of pieces. I started in similar fashion building modulars using only pieces from cafe corner and then the green grocer. Definitely more of a challenge looking back, but over time I've accumulated lots more pieces and learned more techniques, my guess is you'll probably do the same.

I'll be Interested to see what you build next.

Keep up the good work! :classic:

Thanks :classic:. I have to say your Piazza Maria is one of my favourite MOC lego buildings. So to receive a comment like this from you is great encouragement. Many thanks.

I just happen to see this thread. Superb little MOC. Design and detailing is absolutely on par with the official modulars. The apartment is actually a little masterpiece. Excellent use of space and pieces. :classic:

Really great results with those constraints. That is impressive. Great use of the interior space as well and I always love rooftop gardens. Lovely first MOC!

I also like your use of the City-style official-looking background image.

On 02/04/2018 at 12:19 AM, Littleworlds said:

Superb little MOC. Design and detailing is absolutely on par with the official modulars.

Thank you very much, that's very kind. I did try to get as much detail in to the small space as I could so I really appreciate that comment. :classic:

10 hours ago, brickbuilder711 said:

That's an awesome build, and a wonderful combination of those sets! Well done!

Thanks a lot for your comment, I'm glad you like the model. :classic:

9 hours ago, peedeejay said:

That is a very cool build, especially considering the limits you put yourself!

Thank you very much! :classic: I naively thought it would be easier for my first MOC to limit the parts to ones I had available in 3 existing sets. It did turn out more challenging than I expected though.

9 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Really great results with those constraints. That is impressive. Great use of the interior space as well and I always love rooftop gardens. Lovely first MOC!

I also like your use of the City-style official-looking background image.

Thank you. As a beginner it is very encouraging to receive comments like this from experienced moc builders like yourself. :classic: Thanks a lot!

Edited by Bricked1980

1 hour ago, Barbazoo2017 said:

So great. Do you have the instruction?  I would like to built.it.  Thx.

Thanks! I intend to eventually put instructions together for this and my other MOC's but haven't got round to doing it yet. I am working on a new Lego project at the minute which is taking up most of my time but when that is out of the way hopefully I'll get chance to look at doing some instructions.

Very impressive MOC using such limited parts!  Did you find it frustrating to limit yourself, or did it force you to be more creative in your building techniques?