Here is the video for my latest module Tilt-Shift.  It is a fully technic built module, that lifts the balls using a tilting-stairs type mechanism.

The ball agitator is super-janky because I added it as the last powered mechanism of the build.  The module works great, and I will be running it at an upcoming public display.  I have no doubts that it will shake itself apart at some point.

Images and video below.

tilt-shift_01_wm.jpg tilt-shift_02_wm.jpg

Fully Technic?  even the flags???  :tongue:

well done! reminds me a bit of this one, which I'd love to sit down and reverse engineer one day!

Very nice module, with good colours too; the orange balls are invisible half the time! :laugh: 

However, to my untrained eye the ball agitator system seems wrong. Won't the jerkiness cause unnecessary strain on the motor? Surely the system, whilst it's pretty cool how random it acts, is needlessly loosing power? I could be entirely wrong, that's just the feeling I got when watching the video. Neat module overall though.

On 2018-03-28 at 6:37 AM, ColletArrow said:

Very nice module, with good colours too; the orange balls are invisible half the time! :laugh: 

However, to my untrained eye the ball agitator system seems wrong. Won't the jerkiness cause unnecessary strain on the motor? Surely the system, whilst it's pretty cool how random it acts, is needlessly loosing power? I could be entirely wrong, that's just the feeling I got when watching the video. Neat module overall though.

The ball agitator was the last thing I added to the module, and it was more of a "hack a fix" type solution then a well engineered solution.  I would agree that uneven load on the motor is a result, in fact the entire shifting stairs portion puts way more uneven load on the motor then anything.  I ended up using a Power Functions XL motor in hopes that the internal planetary gearing might help it last longer.  I will be running this module at BrickCan this year, and be sure to update you all if it fails.

Here is my version of this module.

Main difference is the use of slopes instead of flags. It's much more reliable in level up the ball. And a proper output ramp to make it easier for the next module to receive the balls.

800x530.jpg

800x585.jpg