Bart

[AMCRA] Rodsh Derr gets a letter

Index
Part I, Receiving the Letter
Part II, Fleeing Nova Terelli

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participant players:

• Bart

Vessels:

Starting point:

• King’s Harbour just hours after the Great Ball.

Main and recurring characters (as of chapter 1):

• Rodsh Derr, former Lieutenant of the Eslandonian Imperial Navy, captain of the Narwal.
  • Cathy Derr, wife of Rodsh Derr, First mate / acting-captain of the Narwal.
  • Jonathan Splicer, Skipper of the DMDR 6 (Derr Merchant Dispatch Runner no. 6)
  • Crew of the DMDR 6

Gold:

• What Rodsh had in his pocket when he boarded the DMDR 6, about 50 db.

Troops:

• None.

Disclaimer: All my builds will be done in LDD (for the time being).

< I intended for the next bit to be in a next post, but they got automatically marched > 

Part I, Receiving the Letter

Rodsh and Cathy where on their way back to the Narwal1 after a very much enjoyed Ball, when they came across a disturbance on the jetty. I know that vessel Rodsh thought to him self while they just came within earshot.

40921498641_8ba6b64886_z.jpg1 recieving the letter. by Bart, on Flickr

Soldier 1: .. I really hate horsemeat sausage too!….
Sailor: They are a pinnacle of evil, who would even think of eating a noble horse.

King’s Harbour harbour master assistant (HMa): WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING! You can’t run past our inspection vessel! And just dock where ever you please!

Eslandonian captain (EC): Yes I can. I’m carrying mail, can’t you see I’m flying a gold pennant.²

HMa: I don’t care what flag you are flying, but every ship should allow the inspection vessel along side for an inspection!

EC: but..

26048635487_5d1351c11a_z.jpg1 recieving the letter 2 by Bart, on Flickr

HMa: And WHY are you opening your hold! You aren’t cleared by customs yet, you aren’t allowed to load or unload anything, and your crew is to remain ONBOARD!

EC: Just for ventilation sir.

EC: First Mate fetch the cargo papers will you!

Eslandonian First Mate (FM): Right away sir.

40921425101_1b94d5411d_z.jpg1 recieving the letter 3 by Bart, on Flickr

EC: So, mister Harbour Master how do you propose to resolve this issue?

HMa: You slip those moorings and sail out in to the bay! There you anchor and await inspection tomorrow morning!

EC: I can’t do that sir, the tide is rising I’ll never get out of the bay. And I have rights, I’m carrying mail.

26048556787_98e446c872_z.jpg1 recieving the letter 4 by Bart, on Flickr

Rodsh couldn’t help himself, he had to join this argument. His curiosity about the vessel had got the better of him.

Rodsh: Mister harbour master, the fair captain is right. If he indeed is a mail carrier he has the right to dock instantly. The custom is to fly a gold pennant from the mast top to show this. And as you can see, she is flying such a pennant.

FM: Here are the papers sir.

EC: Check for yourself mister Harbour master, our cargo is mail.

HMa; This is outrages, I’ve never heard of this!

Rodsh: What is the docking rate for small ships this evening?

The harbourmaster fell silent, as his mind jumped to conclusions.

HMa: 10 quarter-doubloons sir!

All there knew it was just 2.

EC: First mate, pay the harbour master please.

As the harbour master marched his marines off the jetty to waste the cash in the pub, the captain of the ship asked Rodsh: Sir, do you know if the Great Ball has already ended? I’m looking for someone whom may be among the guests.

Rodsh: Yes we just came from the Ball ourselves.

EC: Do you perhaps know if a lieutenant Derr was there?

Rodsh: Yes he was there, he is standing on your deck now.

EC: You are Lieutenant Rodsh Derr?

Rodsh: It’s former lieutenant, to be honest. I’m captaining my own ship, the Narwal, now, she is moored at the end of this jetty.

40922001681_0aa788d162_z.jpg1 recieving the letter 5 by Bart, on Flickr

EC: I’ve got a letter for you.

To:

The Honourable Rodsh Derr
(Former) Lieutenant of the Eslandonian Imperial Navy

January 2nd 618

Dear Brother,

It is with last hopes I write this letter. I only know you by name. I don’t even know if you are aware of my existence, as you disappeared in the year I was born.

Upon the death of our parents, Uncle Grader took charge of Derr Merchant, but he let it all go to waste. He even calls himself ‘Baron Derr’, while he isn’t even proper family, as a widow of our mother’s sister. 

He was always an awful men, but nowadays he is getting worse. He is basically keeping me as prisoner in the attic, and I fear for the day I’ll become an adult and he is no longer officially aloud to rule in my name.

I entrust this letter to Jonathan Splicer, skipper of the “Derr Merchant Dispatch Runner no. 6”, the DMDR6 is the last remaining vessel of the former Derr Merchant Fleet. All others have been sold, lost or claimed by creditors.

I’ve send him out to find you, where ever you are.

Please help me,

Your sister, Baroness Susanna Derr

Rodsh handed the letter to Cathy, and after she read it he told her: Take the Narwal for the necessary careening and replace those leaky planks in her hull. Then take her to cousin Jacob in Nova Terrelli, await any news from me there. I’m going with skipper Splicer.

Cathy: Why not take the Narwal?

Rodsh: Because the DMDR 6 is much much faster than the Narwal, and she desperately needs the maintenance. You take her, you’ll captain her in my stead.
Skipper can we take the next tide?

EC (skipper Jonathan Splicer): I believe we can sir, I still have a man ashore but he should return before sunrise.

Cathy: I thought no one was aloud off your ship?

Splicer: He left before that rule was spoken. (Spoken on such a tone that Cathy knew not to ask more)

Rodsh: Straight to Eslandonia?

Splicer: I first have to dock in Nova Terelli. I picked up some messages along my search for you that need delivered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
note 1 The Narwal is the ship I’m building for Captain Rodsh, story wise that is the ship he’s been off to all those time. (You’ve already seen the cabin interior.) I just never build her. She is in progress though, you can see a sneak peek on flickr. So story wise I send her off careening for now, maybe she gets added to this story, or maybe not.

note 2 The gold pennant is an invention of mine, I’ve no real world base for it. (Although there may be, but I didn’t look into it)

I hope this answers the questions on why the DMDR 6 was racing across the sea’s the way I presented her :D

Questions:

1. How do I license or report this or do I not for an amrca?
  2. Does this work for the game masters or do they require something else to make a game from?
  3. Do the stat’s of the ships chosen when licensing come into play at an amrca btw?
  4. Is it even possible to add the Narwal later? I like to build her proper and not rush her, just to get this amrca started.
Edited by Bart

Interesting story development and nice build to go along with it. That Harbour master seems to be taking liberties with his responsibilities, though! Damned bureaucrats! ;)

The mail pennant sounds reasonable to me. :P

5 hours ago, Bart said:

Questions:

1. How do I license or report this or do I not for an amcra?
  2. Does this work for the game masters or do they require something else to make a game from?
  3. Do the stat’s of the ships chosen when licensing come into play at an amcra btw?
  4. Is it even possible to add the Narwal later? I like to build her proper and not rush her, just to get this amcra started.

1) You can license the build as per normal property rules (probably a commerce, medium). That is unrelated to your adventure. What matters is that you license the sloop as that will be the resource you use for the adventure.

2) Story-wise, I think we can work with this. But for the paperwork to be in order, you have to fill in a AMRCA form, which is linked in the mrca topic each month :)

3) Yes. Not in a computation like for the tMRCA, but a warship will face different odds and opportunities than a merchant vessel, depending on the challenges you will face.

4. Yes. Just make sure she is in the right location when she needs to join. (And make the story fit ;)) As you have not licensed her yet, you can probably just start her off when and where fitting.

Clear? :)

Yes clear! thanks for the answers.

Don't blame the Harbour Master to much, he was just annoyed he had to work on the night of the Ball. 

The cutter has been licensed already, al the way at the top of this post you can find a link to her topic where she is under sail making way for King's Harbour.
The build is worth a medium commerce? its just a jetty, water and a few aquatic birds, the ship's sails are furled but otherwise it's the same and the ship already licensed.

Ah okay, I understand it's not the strict maths as in the trade, but I licensed the DMDR 6 in a way she could out run a cannonball, would be a shame if that be lost. 
I've already written the Narwal into the story with orders to follow offscreen, but could just as easy leaf her out as the story progresses. 

Bart

Edited by Bart

On 27-3-2018 at 5:19 AM, Bodi said:

You came up a nice dock scene with an amusing story, Bart.:thumbup:

Thank you Bodi :)

Little late for me to comment, but excellent Dock Bart, and a great story with it.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, Bart said:

Soldier 1: .. I really hate horsemeat sausage too!….
Sailor: They are a pinnacle of evil, who would even think of eating a noble horse.

:pir_laugh2:

@Bart ...

Rodsh Derr and the Skipper weighed anchor as soon as the man on shore returned, and encountered no trouble on their way sailing up to Nova Terelli.  On the way, Rodsh had been turning the matter over in his head - Uncle Grader had always struck him as a very conniving and greedy fellow, and something about the story of him having done such a poor job with the family business he had an pecuniary interest in seemed to be a little off.  But, unable to come up with any solution from the little information he had on that head, he soon turned his thoughts to his unknown sister.  He wondered what she was like, and concluded that she must be in a pretty bad situation to call for him - a brother whom she had never even seen.  Before they had been in Nova Terelli long, however, someone who Rodsh remembered as having had a slight acquaintance with back in his navy days recognized Rodsh on the street as the Lieutenant who deserted from the ESL navy some time ago, and now he could hear a noisy and angry crowd gathering nearby.

Options:

• Cousin Jacob's warehouse is nearby - bolt for your life and hide in the dark recesses of the warehouse until the mob has given up, and then be careful not to make much of an appearance in the streets until it's time to leave.  One builds required, more encouraged (the second one could show the crew stocking up on supplies, Rodsh trying to stealthily make it back to the ship in safety, or the Narwhal joining up in Nova Terelli after repairs are done before the Skipper and Rodsh leave).

• Back to the ship - let's get out of here!  Rodsh must convince Splicer to get rid of the cargo somewhere else with a fistful of doubloons out of his scanty supply, and send a note to let Cathy find them with Jacob.  One build required, and 25 DBs. 

• Let's make up a hasty disguise and bluff our way through this!  Show Rodsh hastily changing his appearance as much as possible and pretending to be anything from a Garveyan merchant to a humble shoe-shiner as he makes his way through and out of the crowd and avoids the danger.  One build required.

Obviously, whichever is your choice, one build is required to continue the adventure.  The more the merrier, though! :pir-grin:

Nice build! Original sea and Corrish flag, great pier and very well scaled and designed vessel (I quite like the sails a lot)

I won't make the 30th May deadline, so this turn I'll skip, and be back next turn. 

@Garmadon I’m going for option 3

Rodsh was running through the back allies of the dock districts of Nova Terelli, what by the bricks was he thinking wandering about the streets with the pubs the navy lads always visited.

41676829250_edb8dea6e8_z.jpgFleeing Nova Terelli by Bart, on Flickr

Up ahead he saw an open door and made a leap to it, losing his hat in the process, staying just out of sight of the men chasing him who were still behind the corner.

42774976544_1e58ed7e6a_z.jpgFleeing Nova Terelli 2 by Bart, on Flickr

Come one sergeant he can’t be far ahead of us! Yelled the officer while they sprinted past the door. I’m getting my revenge lieutenant Derr!! The sergeant didn’t answer over the clattering his breastplate created, he hated sprinting and wondered why they still wore the armour.

28604769527_b2060d200d_z.jpgFleeing Nova Terelli 3 by Bart, on Flickr

Rodsh sat down pouting behind the door he had barred with his sabre, it had been a long time he had run that hard. His mind was racing to remember who the men was who recognized him. Until it hit him, it was “Ratty”! The mess boy whom he had ones reported for steeling, apparently he was now an officer, the thieving bastard!

But how did he get out of this mess? By now the whole town guard of Nova Terelli was patrolling the docks. His eyes wondered about the place he crashed into, he was in a small warehouse, and when his eyes rested on a particular crate a sly smile returned to his face.

43443718462_face18c3fb_z.jpgFleeing Nova Terelli 4 by Bart, on Flickr

He MUST be here! Shouted “Ratty” as he crashed through the door of the warehouse. The town guard on his heels.
But the warehouse was found empty, swearing as only a low born mess boy whom climbed the ranks could, “Ratty” kicked the empty crate in the corner.

29621427078_a108e1a865_z.jpgFleeing Nova Terelli 5 by Bart, on Flickr

Rodsh tried to be as casual as he could, while at the same time pretending to be the jester he was dressed as.

Rodsh made his way back to the docks and boarded the DMDR 6 safely and that tide they sailed.

Edited by Bart

Nice one Bart, I wonder what the crew of the DMDR6 was thinking when he came aboard :pir-laugh:

@Bart

Rodish had managed to fool Ratty's patrols and make it back to the DMDR6 with everything but his dignity.  Before she slipped her moorings he was able to send a letter to Cathy telling how he narrowly escaped Ratty's patrols.  He left out the part of the jester suit to save some dignity with the misses. 

The seas were calm and soon the DMDR6 made berth in Kings Port to take on supplies and water.  This time however Rodsh was prepared and had crafted a less foolish disguise.  He was more watchful this time and noticed he was being followed ... Quite skilfully at that. He could not give these guys the slip. From the look of the clubs he could see through their jackets Rodsh knew they would not leave him in good health.

Were these men sent from his uncle? How did they know to follow him?

These questions would have to wait - Two against one and they are armed. Time for some quick thinking:

• A distraction is the way to go
    I must rush to Terreli, to take care of matters.

Show Rodsh creating a distraction before sailing off.
  • A small "gift" may be in order
    Most likely, they are ill paid. Maybe they can be "persuaded" to to look the other way, although it will take all my cash...

Show Rodsh bribing his pursuers (50 dbs deducted)
  • The time for running is over!
    I will no longer take this abuse. This is not an Eslandian settlement, so this is the place to face them and get some information.

Show how Rodish incapacitates his foes and makes them talk.

Only one option can be chosen. The first option will get you to Terelli quicker, while the other two may yield you some information to your advantage later, when handling that uncle.

I'm seriously thinking of abandoning this amcra. The message above is already months on my screen, and I've no idea what to build. and I feel more and more annoyed that my main character and my best ship are locked up in this idea. 

As most of you know, I'm at sea at the moment (one more month) and have (had) enough time to build something, but I just have no idea. 

Bart

@Bart I will say, this has been a more challenging AMCRA to write. Most people come in with these grand adventures that can go a multitude of ways. Southbound, for example, had dozens of directions I could have taken. Yours is a little more nuanced. You want to Rodsh to rescue his sister. Great! So, we'll have him do stuff, than arrive in Terrelli, than the rescuing part. And if we have to, we'll make you have to look multiple times. 

Really, the AMCRAs, in my opinion of course, are designed to help us explore the world of BoBS while telling a personal story. AMCRAs should not be used to do a story you want to tell solely by yourself, and I think several people have found that through the course of the AMCRAs. 

And, as a note to everyone, DO NOT SEND YOUR MAIN CHARACTER ON AN AMCRA UNLESS YOU DON'T WANT TO USE THEM FOR A LONG TIME! seriously, I'm literally getting the Count back after a year now. 

I'd recommend you choose the first option, show Rodish Derr throwing some barrels or something at the pursuers, and then get what you want to build. You obviously want to explore Terrelli, so send your ship there! You can do 1 build with the barrel throwing. Then, show the DMDR6 arriving in Terrelli! We'll give you options as you go. You could also have Rodsh leave the adventure, and have Cathy and the crew do the adventure. 

You still have plenty of options, and if you need advice, feel free to ask the committee.  :pir-blush: 

@Bart It is sometimes hard to read people's minds, so if the aMRCA group sidesteps your adventure, let us know. You are welcome to send me a pm with some more details on what you are hoping for. You are of course also welcome to end the aMRCA and continue from here "un-gm'ed". Just let us know - our objective is not to lock you away somewhere, but to give you some fun challenges - and we are not immune to feedback! ;)

Hereby I want to notify that this AMCRA is ended and will not continue.

I'd like to thank the AMCRA staff for their effort and input. 

Roger. We will make a conclusion and add up any rewards you may have earned. :)