Sign in to follow this  
BerndDasBrot

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 8854 Power Crane

Wow, another old technic set review by you. Nice set, and thanks for that review.

Looks like you have the original 1989 version with the yellow top cylinders. :-) I got one too several years ago, although I probably paid too much for it. :-P

On a side note, if that pneumatic tubing feels harder and stiffer than the modern type, I highly recommend that you don't use it and buy some of the newer stuff off Bricklink instead. TLC originally used a different material for the tubes and this stuff degrades the nozzles (on pistons, switches and so on) over time. The old tubes also grip the nozzles much more firmly and if you aren't careful when removing them, it's actually possible to rip off the nozzles completely. X-O I had this happen a few years ago, although TLC replaced my broken pistons for free. I got rid of that stuff for good after that, although the pistons on my Power Crane still have slightly discolored nozzles.

Edited by CP5670

The old tubes also grip the nozzles much more firmly and if you aren't careful when removing them, it's actually possible to rip off the nozzles completely. X-O

I actually noticed that while taking it apart but didn't really pay any attention. I just thought that's because it's an old part. Well, thanks for the information!

Great pictures, especially the perspective from overhead. This is one of my favorite Technic models because it packs so many features in a relatively small space. And I'm working on documenting this one in Technicopedia right now!

Thanks for the photos,

Eric

Thanks for another fun review!

This set is high on my list of things to buy, I love cranes, built many and bought many including the classic 8460 from 1995 and the more recent 8421.

That threaded axle never stopped intriguing me... It was use in so few sets (I believe 8851 contained one as well?) and I still don't know why it's better than any other axle.

Congratulations with a near mint copy of this set!

:-)

That threaded axle never stopped intriguing me... It was use in so few sets (I believe 8851 contained one as well?) and I still don't know why it's better than any other axle.

The purpose of the threaded axle is to carry tension. Regular axles are used primarily for carrying torsion (for gears), sometimes for compression (8855 landing gear, helicopter skids), and sometimes just for looks (roll cages, canopies). But used in tension, connectors will usually just pop off. With the threads and the corresponding nuts, this part can be used to squeeze parts together (like the pen in the plotter of 8094), or to hold heavy assemblies onto turntables (like 8862 and 8851). With the power crane (8854) reviewed here, that is the complete list of sets which used this part.

I wrote about it here:

http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/1984.html#Parts

Eric

As I bought it, I didn't even know I would also get a box. It just said: all parts with building instructions. After opening the parcel I was like: "woah... woooaaahhh" and so on. ;-)

I love LEGO-boxes because as a child I stood in the toy stores starring at the boxes, only seeing the front and the back, nothing more. This brings back some memories... :'-)

This was my first technic set, aged 7! Still a great one in terms of function density, and a great B-model. In the UK I'm certain it was called the "Salvage Hoist".