Claes

More complete powerfunction set?

Ther are some (few) technical sets that are officialy "extendable" with the official powerfunction set, the one with a M-motor, battery box, lamp but not much more.

I think that there would be nice to have a second official version of powerfunction set, a version with the servo motor and maybe one more motor and the remote control.

On the market side, that is the most important thing for lego, this would make customers buy the more advanced powerfunction when they realise they missed out on advanced functions on there new set.

But for me, I want more sets properly motorized by lego with instructions, but I undetstand that they think include motors make the sets too expensive.

What do you think?

Edited by Claes

Probably with the introduction of Power Functions 2.0 Lego will think about this and releases a more versatile PF kit. Anyway I can't recall if they ever offered a proper RC upgrade option for a non-motorized set, usually only one (or more) functions get motorized. I'm a big fan of RC upgrades and did already a few with more in the pipeline :)

A question is about RC, as it is now, you need sbrick to control lego with your mobil phone if you don't use mindstorms.

I hope that lego thinks about that now, technic needs a solution for that now.

It is simple, replace the IR remote with bluetoth LE and use mobilephone as an remote.

The question is, can you say that you _must_ have a phone with bluetuth to control your lego? For this type of customer_yes_, I would say that 99 % has no problem witht that.

Edited by Claes

Well there are a good deal of sets with full PF in the box, stuff like the tracked racer and 42070 for instance, and price is indeed a consideration, both of those two sets got slated for their high price for few parts.

Personally i just swallowed my pride and bought a remote/receiver, servo, L-motor and battery box setup from S@H rather then buying a €100+ set and just getting one motor and battery box

The tracked racer (i guess you mean 42065) is cheap. The set had few parts except the motors and RC.

Maybe it is perfect!

Lets say that 42065 is "powerfunction version 2" and that MOC and "version C" and motorisation projects uses that for as a baseline for RC!

An example: have a Porsche 42056 i want to motorise, and as a first requirement is a 42065 and after that further requirements with komponents.

Things will be simpler and cheaper!

Edited by Claes

in theory that is a good concept, and something lego should try with pf 2.0 imho, and the set could last much longer then regular sets

but in practice, 42065 has two M motors, which arent very useful for powering anything medium to large sized, or for proper steering, for powering the porsche, both motors would need to be on drive duty and geared down, hardly ideal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 42030 was the set with the most motorized function right out of the box. This set was great, you didn't have to deal with a complicated gear box and was truely RC, which is how I like my sets personally. 

I agree that it would be nice to have anther package of PF motors, the m motor/switch/lights/battery box is nice, but personally I have m motors laying around and don't use that often. L-motor is king. The servo motor is also a must for vehicles. That being said, it would be nice to have a PF package made for a vehicle build; L-motor,servo,battery box, differential. But I don't think that's gonna happen. 

On the topic of needing an SBrick, I agree and disagree. I have 2 of them and they are great, much better control. But I don't think you absolutely need it, the LEGO receivers are half decent inside with no interference. Also, not everyone has a smart phone with the app and Bluetooth for the SBrick. 

Yes, I agree that TLG should look into this type of technology for future PF, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon, hopefully I'm wrong though. :)

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

Anyway I can't recall if they ever offered a proper RC upgrade option for a non-motorized set, usually only one (or more) functions get motorized.

Yes, they didn't but I can't get rid of the idea that they still made it as an option: 42029, 42039 and other sets of a similar size have two (at least) voids: one behind or above the rear axle and the second behind the steering rack. They perfectly fits Servo and L-motor (or XL-Motor after a minor modification).

I dread to think how to bolt in such integral components as steering and drive motors AFTER a build is completed, while meeting product standards. They'll need some pretty hardcore bracing to not come loose or tear the surrounding build apart. Part 32054 can fulfil many needs though!