Keymonus

[OL-Royal Arsenal of Astrapi] The entrance of the harbour

Astrapi,an evening at the beginning of March 618.

40179547974_3107f00dbf_z.jpg

Immediately before the changing of the guard, an allarm was sound: the hour was perfect for a raid into the military port, with the tired gunners blinded by the low sun... or at least it's what an invader usually thinks. The Oleanders moved quickly, lead by their Gunnery Officer: the 36 pounder cannons were loaded and fired aganist their targets.

40845443072_bffcb6e6dc_z.jpg

26015092597_599d9f2e9c_z.jpg

Meanwhile, volleys Congreve Rockets were shot from the towers of the fort, laying down a heavy barrage fire. This modern weapon, extensively tested by Corrington and Oleon, can easily set ablaze sails and riggings... a terrible danger for a wooden ship!

27017067308_dc3deeba09_z.jpg

26015085527_073d7743d6_m.jpg

A Hades of fire and iron was falling on the raiding fleet, the fearsome squadron...

40887061781_2ee4e30d30_z.jpg

...led by Admiral Jimmy, as the puppet on the first target boat was called by the gunners. 

27017030448_28df178b37_z.jpg

"Bob and Billy are burning, Sir, and James has just been hit by a cannonball!" Exclaimed the officer "Only Jimmy would have survived to the first volley, and we are not even using wall muskets".

"Well done, Lieutenant! Your men are perfectly operative even if we made them exercise at the end of their shift." Replied Captain Rimbaud "And what we have seen right now is only a part of the defensive system... What about the chain?"

40887105281_951fbfd66e_z.jpg

"As you can see, Sir, it has already been laid down. It is raised and lowered twice a day, according to the tide, and obvioulsy whenever our ships enter or leave the bay. To avoid accidents in case of low visibility the chain was marked with yellow bouys, but in case of fog we will also use longboats and light signals. In case of attack, the defensive chain would probably block the enemy ships under our fire, but with a bit of luck it could also cut like a blade the hull of smaller ships: only a large battleship at full speed could break the barrier, but not without being severly damaged."

39993607755_dda93ce9e3_z.jpg 

26015136157_bb9cc40eeb_z.jpg

An inspection of the armory

39993653745_7ac4d93986_z.jpg

A soldier wrapping gunpouder cartouches for the cannons

26015120137_6eaa7b4391_z.jpg

Additional pictures:

40179546514_9ea7053323_z.jpg

39077695960_5d2e305b42_z.jpg

39077616720_972cbb599d_z.jpg

An overall view:

40845448692_827e465c52_z.jpg

Edited by Keymonus

So much going on here, and all of it really well done! :thumbup:  I'm digging those rockets, and the interior is fabulous as well - your portrayal of some things like the chain and cartridge making are particularly neat and original!

I can only second @Garmadon, a great build with a huge amount of brilliant details. What makes this even more impressive: the choice of scenes and camera angles, combined with the story, gave me the impression of this being a huge build first. It is in fact "only" 32x48 studs in size! Very clever, well done! :thumbup:

A very well built fort, with lots of defensive devices, I like the Congreve rocket launching scene and the depiction of cartouche preparation. The chain is a great idea and that puppet with a red cape is hilarious.:pir_laugh2:

Fantastic looking build! Great details throughout and all around really cool to look at! I also really like how you made those flying rockets, how do they do that? *oh2*

Great build, I love all the details and all the different scenes. the puppet is awesome!

But how did you connect those fire pieces together?! I don't understand how it works?

I would like to know this as well ... Is it just gravity holding them together? The rockets are the main attraction for me but threse so much detail work in this ... Youve done an excellent job creating a busy fort ... I question the making of cartriges during an attack ... Even if only a drill... Great build great camera work

The "fire pieces" have two little bars at their base, which fit into some sections of the "flame". I will do some pictures later tonight.

Using this you can connect them, but it is not at all a stable connection in my experience.

10 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Using this you can connect them, but it is not at all a stable connection in my experience.

I think into one particular slot it's very stable, but rather loose in the others.

Thank you for your kind comments, it means a lot to me! :classic:

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I would like to know this as well ... Is it just gravity holding them together? The rockets are the main attraction for me but threse so much detail work in this ... Youve done an excellent job creating a busy fort ... I question the making of cartriges during an attack ... Even if only a drill... Great build great camera work

Probably not a good idea mixing sparks and loose gunpowder... :pir_tong2:

6 hours ago, Bodi said:

A very well built fort, with lots of defensive devices, I like the Congreve rocket launching scene and the depiction of cartouche preparation. The chain is a great idea and that puppet with a red cape is hilarious.:pir_laugh2:

Red cape? I didn’t notice that, I think it’s only for better visibility... :grin:

About the rockets: keeping the flames in the same orientation, you can slot one of the little bars mentioned by Drunknok in the second recess (starting from the base). The connection is stable but too flexible to substain anything, but orienting them in the right way gravity will help

Edited by Keymonus

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

The chain is a great idea and that puppet with a red cape is hilarious.

That's it !!

So much stuff in a 32 x 48 as already said by Drunknok, really well done !

For those interested in the "flame connection":

00eYmQ9.jpg

5QEk9Sm.jpg

These little bars at the flames base are only on the neon-orange versions, not the more "natural" orange ones. As Kai NRG pointed out, they fit into one (and only one) section of the flame, the connection is quite stable.

Your mocs have always something innovative to contribute. Adding your spot on photos to that and we have a beautiful duo of story+build! I especially enjoyed the target manequin and the idea of the chain blocking the port

Three cheers for the boys in blue and their relentless effort to protect against Admiral Jimmy! Huzza! Huzza! Huzza!:pir_laugh2:

It is very nice to see the final product that your builds have been building up to. The defenses are well thought out, and I like the previously unseen ideas in BOBS such as the chain. That you were able to provide a furnished interior for this build just makes it that much better. Really nice job all around. 

absolutely fantastic build Keymonus, you really outdid yourself while working on this project. The curvature of the tower is fantastic, as well as the interior. Your builds really made the project come together. Great job!

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, Captain Genaro said:

Three cheers for the boys in blue and their relentless effort to protect against Admiral Jimmy! Huzza! Huzza! Huzza!:pir_laugh2:

:grin::grin::grin:

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, Drunknok said:

For those interested in the "flame connection":

Thank you for showing it, it's exactly what I did.

Thank everyone for your comments! Building round Towers is something I learnt here in Eurobricks, but this was my first attempt :classic:

The chain wasn't a very common defence, but was very effective! I know it was used to defend Constantinople port, but also near to West Point during American Independence War, but "real" chains were bigger and heavier than the one I used, probably a Bionicle chain (part 53551) would be more appropriate