Chmashdehjare

What modular to buy for a 2x mod?

Most of the my Lego "career" has been in the Technic line, but having started looking at modulars a year or so ago I got bit hard.  I have all of them from PS on except for TH, but have only built PS so far because I just don't get as much building time as I'd like.  I have been doing some old Town forum reading and have been enjoying reading about and seeing mods people have made to modulars by doubling up on them and making them wider, taller, deeper, etc. 

I'm not normally a moc'er or mod'er since my relaxation therapy is in the following of instructions and getting a beautiful or fun to play with model.  However, I'm feeling inspired to dip my toes into mod'ing a modular by buying a double and seeing if I can squeeze any creative juices out of me. I think I can slip a single duplicate modular into the budget (and past the wife!) but am realistically limited to what Lego is still selling (so that means my options are AS, BB, PR, DO, DD). Now that it's double VIP points also, that makes it easier to consider.

So, I'm wondering, if you were going to buy a single duplicate modular to build a 2x version from, which one would you pick? For some reason that I don't think I can explain,I have a slight leaning toward DO.  Perhaps the pool hall interior has me itching to make a larger pool hall/pub interior. I don't really know so I'm curious what you all think.

Thanks!

I really like the XL modular mods that several members have done but I never felt inclined to buy a 2nd copy to mod until I saw @LegoSjaak's XL Downtown Diner. The DD is so different from the other modulars that it stands out a bit but he really nailed it with that mod. I would love to duplicate it if I ever got a 2nd copy.

There is a great example of a doubled up DD in a thread here. You basically mirror it so the tower is in the middle. Of all the modulars the easiest and most spectacular to double up is by far the Grand Emporium. The Decrives Office I would leave the existing footprint on a 32x32 base. Extend the first floor back a bit and increase both buildings by a floor. 

I  don't like XL modulars, but GE, BB , AS looks much better in larger version. For other I think they are pretty good in standard version.