Sign in to follow this  
Erik Leppen

[MOC] Erik Leppen's in-between projects

I figured it would be useful to have a topic for models that I'd like to show, but are "smaller" in a way, and I don't consider interesting enough to warrant their own topic. They are already finished, so no WIP, so no intent to "update" the models after feedbacks (sorry). They are usually single-build (instead of iterative design and build-and-rebuild) so they probably can be improved upon if rebuilt, but I hope they can serve as inspiration for others. If not, they are interesting side-projects for trying out new things, new subjects or new colors.

If this is not against forum guidelines I'd like to open this topic for these "in-between" projects, and I like to show 2 models I made during the last month. There was a meeting two weeks ago, and I had some time in-between so I just started building things and they turned out pretty nice and gathered some positive response on the meeting.

First-up is an update of a 2015 model I built for TC9 (A-and-B-model contest) where I never got to building the B model. I changed the colors and redid the paneling, it turned out pretty nice I think.

hydroplane2018_3.jpg

Its only functions are drive (where a V8 engine and fan are coupled to front wheels hidden below the cabin) and steering (where the rudders are connected to a HOG and to hidden rear wheels). It's obviously inspired by the small hydroplane set from a few years back (2015 I believe). Also, it was a nice opportunity to try out new colors, and I have collected quit some orange over the years but I don't use it often. Here's the rear:

hydroplane2018_8.jpg

The 40t gear you see it actually only used as a round liftarm with a central axle hole. MLCad says it's about 650 parts. Quite a lot for only 2 functions, but still. Someone on the meeting said that at least it's stable and not wobbly like the new hovercraft set (I think he watched Sariel's review)...

My second in-between project was a rally car. The goal was to create a "better" model than 42077, where I defined "better" as: doing the same core functions (drive/fake engine, steering, suspension) in a smaller model, and still have a rollcage. Also I wanted to try out new colors.

rallycar2018_1.jpg

The functions it has common with 42077:

• independent suspension front and rear (I like the solutions for the suspension; the front is very compact, and the rear is a mix beteen independent and live-axle, due to some sort of a "floating differential", as I would call it).
  • rear drive to a V6 in the front
  • front steering to HOG on the roof

Functions lacking that 42077 had:

• the flappy side panels that open together with the rear bonnet
  • the opening rear bonnet. (unfortunately, I have no opening elements in the back)

Functions this has that are not in 42077:

• front hood opens (but there's no way to leave it in extended position)
  • rear spoiler can be extended and retracted (it's pretty lame, but I had some empty space so I wanted to do something there)
  • the steering wheel is connected to the steering mechanism

I'm particularly happy about that last fact, and I discovered you can insert an axle in the bottom of an 1 x 2 log-brick (did you know that?)

rallycar2018_12.jpg

It even has exhausts on the side :D Also I used quite some studded parts, which is a style I'm trying out. I think it works better for these new colors, becaue it vastly extends the array of available parts in those colors, and with all the tiles and curved slopes there's still the option to have no studs showing anywhere.

rallycar2018_5.jpg

Of course, it has doors that open. Unlike the official set, the rollcage has a side link that can easily be removed to allow stepping in and out the car. Unfortunately, my hope of doing more in less pieces than 42077 hasn't been fulfilled, because it's actually more parts than the set; about 1100. Probably due to the system details. If only the 2x5x11 L and R panels existed in dark purple, I could have saved lots of parts on the doors...

As I have started a new main project (which I will be posting in a minute) there will probably be no updates here the coming while, so I hope I don't forget about this topic by the time I have new "smaller" projects.

Both look good but I must say I love the chocolate brown interior! I wish their were more options for tan or brown interiors. Fingers crossed we'll get some more tan in the Bugatti set to come! Well done!