Hinckley

21314 TRON: Legacy Revealed

21314 LEGO® Ideas TRON: Legacy

Ages 10+.  230 pieces.

US $34.99 – CA $44.99 – DE 34.99€ – FR 34.99€ – UK £29.99 – DK  300DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country.  Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Reimagine Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie scenes with LEGO® bricks!

Build, play and display with this futuristic LEGO® Ideas 21314 TRON: Legacy set from Disney, featuring 2 Light Cycles, each with minifigure seats and translucent-colored light-style elements, plus a divisible TRON grid with attachment points for the vehicles. Use the grid as a display base for the Light Cycles or split it in 2 to recreate the chase scene from Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie. Alternatively, stage an Identity Disc battle between the 3 included LEGO minifigures—Sam Flynn, Quorra and Rinzler—on the grid. This construction toy includes a booklet with information about its fan creator and LEGO designers, plus the lowdown on Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie and its main characters.

• Includes 3 LEGO® minifigures: Sam Flynn, Quorra and Rinzler.
  • Features 2 buildable Light Cycles for Sam Flynn and Rinzler, and a TRON grid/display base.
  • Sam Flynn’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features and assorted translucent-blue light-style elements, including power stream effects.
  • Rinzler’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features and assorted translucent-orange light-style elements, including power stream effects.
  • TRON grid/display base features 2 detachable parts, attachment points for the 2 Light Cycles and translucent-blue elements.
  • Divide the grid to recreate the Light Cycle chase scene from Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie, or use it to role-play the disc battle scene with the minifigures.
  • Includes Quorra’s sword.
  • Accessory elements include Sam Flynn and Quorra’s blue Identity Discs, and Rinzler’s 2 orange Identity Discs.
  • Attach the discs to the back of each minifigure.
  • This construction toy includes a booklet with building instructions, information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO designers, and the lowdown on Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie and its main characters.
  • Each Light Cycle measures over 1″ (5cm) high, 6” (17cm) long and 1” (4cm) wide.
  • TRON grid/display base measures over 8” (22cm) wide and 3” (9cm) deep.

lego_tron_21314_001.jpg

lego_tron_21314_002.jpg

lego_tron_21314_003.jpg

lego_tron_21314_004.jpg

lego_tron_21314_005.jpg

lego_tron_21314_006.jpg

lego_tron_21314_007.jpg

lego_tron_21314_008.jpg

lego_tron_21314_009.jpg

lego_tron_21314_010.jpg

lego_tron_21314_011.jpg

lego_tron_21314_012.jpg

lego_tron_21314_013.jpg

lego_tron_21314_014.jpg

lego_tron_21314_015.jpg

A bit pricey for only 230 pieces - probably due to all of the trans elements - but what a set - looks like stay-up-till-midnight purchase, and at least two sets (one for work, one for the kid)

2 minutes ago, x105Black said:

The set looks great.  The price could be better, but I still want to get it.

I have to agree about the cost, as that is a rather high price par part ratio. I mean, US $34.99 for only 230 parts? :look:

Not a great price for sure, but the minifigures and printed parts look great for Sci-fi MOCs. I will wait for a discount or prowl the secondary market though.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Looks like two $10 motorcycles and then $15 for the base. Ludicrous. 

I'll wait a few weeks for the 20-30% off on Amazon.

That turned out pretty nice indeed! The price is a bit on the steep end - well, Disney-license - but apart from that it totally works for me: Cute characters, clean and sleek lightcycle-design - just as it should be.:classic:

I am totally fine with paying a small premium for a set based on a movie franchise that I love dearly but has never been a blockbuster financial success. This is a niche licensed set for a niche audience. I'm delighted that it's being made at all, and I'm happy to support it.

24 minutes ago, BrickSantorum said:

I am totally fine with paying a small premium for a set based on a movie franchise that I love dearly but has never been a blockbuster financial success. This is a niche licensed set for a niche audience. I'm delighted that it's being made at all, and I'm happy to support it.

I think that's probably the most fair and accurate way to look at it. 

2 hours ago, BrickSantorum said:

I disagree, Ideas is a platform to find out the size of the community interested in purchasing a product. Lego clearly have decided that 10,000 people being interested in a set on Ideas is enough for them to consider making the set, if it's attached to a pre-existing license then that's just more exposure and an increased chance of people getting the set. As such this set is the opposite of niche, it's attached to a popular licensed game/film with a cult following with a minimum potential customer base of 10,000 people. The only downside would be licensing fee's - but other Lego Ideas sets have shown that the license fees normally do not make the set considerably more than they are worth - in this case it's like they have applied the Star Wars level of license fee's.

Other Lego Ideas sets have justified the prices they have with specific pieces, figures or amount of pieces total. This set does not, it has three figures and 230 pieces with limited printed pieces and two rather bland looking representations of Tron Light Cycles which look like blocks with wheels stuck on. The only thing you are supporting with your remark is the idea of exploiting the target audience with a higher fee for specific licensed themes regardless of whether they justify it.

Why would making a set from "a movie franchise that has never been a blockbuster financial success" result in the same price hike as Star Wars? The license for Tron should not be worth as much - especially if it is a 'niche license'

Edited by Scarilian

7 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Why would making a set from "a movie franchise that has never been a blockbuster financial success" result in the same price hike as Star Wars? The license for Tron should not be worth as much - especially if it is a 'niche license'

Aside from  fact that Diseny owns  both and is known  for  some of the highest licence fees around, non at all.

i  myself don't like the  price. but ideas  sets are htf  n rarely get  restocked in my neck o'da woods, so prolly have to bite that bullet as can't use amazon  *requires a credit  card  which i'm  opposed to.

The bikes turned out significantly more crude than I thought they would. The price is also extremely steep. 21312 is 1 more piece and half the price in Canada.

5 hours ago, Aegis2000 said:

I have yet to buy a Lego Ideas set.

Same here! Though I am not at all sure at all if this is the "one" for me.  

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic
someone help my spelling, teach me numbers as well

28 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

The bikes turned out significantly more crude than I thought they would. The price is also extremely steep. 21313 is 1 more piece and half the price in Canada.

Huh? Ship in Bottle is 962 pieces and 89.99 CAD....

9 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Ship in Bottle is 962 pieces and 89.99 CAD....

I meant women of nasa. Looks like I got the number wrong! Edited my above post.

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I meant women of nasa. Looks like I got the number wrong! Edited my above post.

Ah no worries!

5 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Not a great price for sure, but the minifigures and printed parts look great for Sci-fi MOCs.

While I am anxious for this set, I think the possibilities for that excite me even more. :snicker:

1 hour ago, Scarilian said:

I disagree, Ideas is a platform to find out the size of the community interested in purchasing a product. Lego clearly have decided that 10,000 people being interested in a set on Ideas is enough for them to consider making the set, if it's attached to a pre-existing license then that's just more exposure and an increased chance of people getting the set. As such this set is the opposite of niche, it's attached to a popular licensed game/film with a cult following with a minimum potential customer base of 10,000 people. The only downside would be licensing fee's - but other Lego Ideas sets have shown that the license fees normally do not make the set considerably more than they are worth - in this case it's like they have applied the Star Wars level of license fee's.

Other Lego Ideas sets have justified the prices they have with specific pieces, figures or amount of pieces total. This set does not, it has three figures and 230 pieces with limited printed pieces and two rather bland looking representations of Tron Light Cycles which look like blocks with wheels stuck on. The only thing you are supporting with your remark is the idea of exploiting the target audience with a higher fee for specific licensed themes regardless of whether they justify it.

Those "limited" printed pieces account for nearly a tenth of the entire piece count (22 out of 230). And a higher percentage of this set's pieces are devoted to minifigure elements than those of any other Ideas set except the Research Institute, The Big Bang Theory, and Women of NASA. Both factors affect the pricing.

The "rather bland looking representations" that "look like blocks with wheels stuck on" hardly look that way to everyone else (at least, no more blocky than all other LEGO vehicles ever, which are of course inherently blocky to an extent because they're LEGO). I think most others asked to describe these in a single word would probably go with "sleek" or something comparable, and they're certainly reflective of the source material.

I am respectfully dubious the Star Wars license fee is as high as you seem to think it is.

I LOVE it and will be there at the Dreamworld LEGO store on the Saturday to pick up my copy. $50 (Australian price) isn't bad for what it is. Its more expensive because its an Ideas set (so they have to spread the development costs over a smaller number of sets), its a Disney license (so that will push up the cost) and its got a large number of printed parts and recolors (quite a few of which will probably not show up again in any other set so less product to spread the fixed cost of producing those printed parts and recolors over)

I absolutely love this set even if the price is a bit high. Fully printed figures, 2 very accurate bikes and a nice display base make it totally worth it though. Tron is a criminally underrated franchise but I hope this set does very well. The potential for other sets based on the Tron license is huge. I personally can't get enough of the Tron aesthetic!

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Those "limited" printed pieces account for nearly a tenth of the entire piece count (22 out of 230). And a higher percentage of this set's pieces are devoted to minifigure elements than those of any other Ideas set except the Research Institute, The Big Bang Theory, and Women of NASA. Both factors affect the pricing.

This set is easily the worst in regards to Price to Parts ratio and i dont see the justification in that when other licensed Ideas themes are so cheap in comparison - the only set even remotely close in terms of price per piece ratio is the Hayabusa and that was back when it was Lego Cuusoo. I understand that multiple aspects affect pricing, but a set based on a movie released in 2010 that was not that popular at the time should not have a higher license than all the other active licenses here. I understand Tron is connected to more than just the movie license, but it's not priced well for what it offers.

Ideas sets;
Tron Legacy - Price per piece; 13.0p / 15.2c / 15.2c
Hayabusa - Price per piece; 12.2p / 13.5c / 13.5c
Big Bang - Price per piece; 10.3p / 12.4c / 12.4c
Beatles - Price per piece; 9.9p / 10.8c / 10.8c
Research Institute - Price per piece; 9.7p / 12.1c / 12.1c
Caterham Seven - Price per piece; 9.7p / 10.4c / 10.4c
Exo-Suit - Price per piece; 9.3p / 10.9c / 10.9c
Adventure Time - Price per piece; 9.1p / 10.1c / 10.1c
Ghostbusters Car - Price per piece; 8.9p / 9.8c / 9.8c
Women of Nasa - Price per piece; 8.7p / 10.8c / 10.8c
DeLorean Time Machine - Price per piece; 8.7p / 8.7c / 10.0c
Mars Rover - Price per piece; 8.5p / 10.2c / 10.2c
Doctor Who - Price per piece; 8.0p / 9.6c / 6.7c
Maze - Price per piece; 7.8p / 9.1c / 9.1c
Ship in a Bottle - Price per piece; 7.3p / 7.3c / 7.3c
Minecraft - Price per piece; 7.3p / 7.3c / 7.3c
Birds - Price per piece; 6.9p / 7.8c / 7.8c
Fishing Store - Price per piece; 6.8p / 7.3c / 7.3c
WALL-E - Price per piece; 5.9p / 8.9c / 7.4c
Saturn V - Price per piece; 5.6p / 6.1c / 6.1c

The "rather bland looking representations" that "look like blocks with wheels stuck on" hardly look that way to everyone else (at least, no more blocky than all other LEGO vehicles ever, which are of course inherently blocky to an extent because they're LEGO). I think most others asked to describe these in a single word would probably go with "sleek" or something comparable, and they're certainly reflective of the source material.

I dont think you see the issue, here is the Lego version compared to a Tron Legacy version.

light-cycle.jpglego_tron_21314_004.jpg

The main flaw of the design is that you can easily describe the Lego one as two circular wheels with a rectangle connecting them. It's blocky by design rather than limitations of Lego. The Tron Legacy version you cannot give that description due to the curved middle that raises it and makes the vehicle have a different overall feel. The Lego Tron Legacy version attempts to trick you with a curved inaccurate exterior piece and a random slanted piece on the back of the bike with no attempt being made to even remotely change the middle design from looking flat to being curved.

I am respectfully dubious the Star Wars license fee is as high as you seem to think it is.

It has been documented for years, the most notable example can be comparing the 2016 AT-ST to the 2017 version in which the piece count dropped by 70 while the price increased.

In general it is a 10% increase among Star Wars sets. In 2017 they bumped up prices again and they are planning to do so again in 2018.

Edited by Scarilian

Very well stated @Scarilian

It's a shame such a much anticipated set like this is received by 90% of the potential customers questioning the price point. 

Regardless of any explanations for such a high price, I will not be getting this set, in my eyes that price is nothing less than ludicrous. I may have considered it if it actually looked a little better though. Fortunately there are plenty of other great sets to choose from at more reasonable prices. This does seem to be an alarming trend with the licensed sets going forward though, one of the reasons I didn't get any Star Wars sets last wave or coming up. 

I do understand plenty of people will still get it but I have to draw the line somewhere, such a shame. 

Please understand also this just my opinion, I need no justification to buy it, for those that do, enjoy. 

Edit; it's like this should be $19.99, okay it is an Ideas set $24.99, and licensed okay $29.99, what $34.99 no thanks. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff