Sign in to follow this  
helos

Le Tre Cime di Lavaredo - a big mountain with train tunnel

Hi everyone,

after a long time I'm back here to present the Tre Cime of Lavaredo, a Unesco World Heritage in the Dolomites, Italian Alps. A creation I built with some fellows of our CLV Lug.  

Well, I thought this huge moc built with thousands of bricks fits well on a diorama if there is a proper tunnel for trains.
I built two portals for a double track with 2 different solutions. I developed a large arched classic portal for two rails inspired to those on the 5 Terre line in Liguria and a double portal inspired to the North side of Sempione tunnel. Hope you all would appreciate these solutions.

The Tre Cime of Lavaredo were presented last weekend for the first time at the Model Expo Italy in Verona. This big mountain was positioned on the CLV diorama city of about 30 meters.
Below you will find some images shot at Verona venue which are part of our Lego Trains show.

MEI_20180318_08421MEI_20180318_084638

The west portal is inspired by those of the Riomaggiore station, a railway that winds along the Ligurian coast of the Mediterranean Sea and runs through mountains, bridges and terraces just up on the sea.

01.Jpg

MEI_20180318_085905

Here a double heading of R4C Vossloh Mak G2000

The East portal is inspired to the one at the North entrance of Traforo del Sempione, a railway between Italy and Switzerland.

1280px-Simplon_railway_tunnel_entrance_s

MEI_20180318_095746

MEI_20180318_093041

The ÖBB 1216 020 "175 Jahre Eisenbahn für Österreich" built by Massimo Bmacro

MEI_20180318_093534

The E414 heading a Frecciabianca built by Matteo MapuDJ

MEI_20180318_092023

A lego version of the ÖBB Feuerwehr Taurus

MEI_20180318_091213

Another Taurus in black MRCE livery

MEI_20180318_163202

A G2000 in a livery of a Company of my Town. A special thanks to Emanuele LT12Volts wich has developed an excellent interpretation of this machine which is apparently easy to built in Lego. He gave me his project.

Here a video of some trains in action

Finally, please allow me to post a shot that is very dear to me. It was taken at the Model Expo 2017 and collects many Italian lego train fans. Emanuele this year could not join us.

MEI2017_0096ItLTrains

Bianchino, LT12Volts, MapuDJ, Bolto@, Legofan99, Helos,Bmacro, Roby, Ex cinno, Jaymz HD

Amazingly massive build, awesome, did a mountaineer fall off the rock face after witnessing the UFO creating those crop circles? 

That is one Huge mountain. Great work on it, the scenery, and the portals. The locomotives and rolling stock look wonderful as well.

Just one word: AMAZING !!!

Well done, and nice to see some faces after eurobricks users / builders ! A massive thumbs up.

Simply mindblowing. 

Amazing creation.  It's huge but fantastically doen.  Those train tunnel entrances are really nice. I like the detailing and variation. 

Wow!  How do you trasport it?  Does the mountain conform to MILS and is done that way?   I would love to see photos if any exists.

Really well done.

On 21/3/2018 at 10:02 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Amazingly massive build, awesome, did a mountaineer fall off the rock face after witnessing the UFO creating those crop circles? 

I’m not sure about the mountaineers. The UFO certainly crashed on the farm roof after a nvigation system failure caused by interferences ot the big Dolomite. I’m pleased you like the build, thanks.

On 21/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, Feuer Zug said:

That is one Huge mountain. Great work on it, the scenery, and the portals. The locomotives and rolling stock look wonderful as well.

The whole mountain required lots of hours of twelve afols work. I think nearly 30 building sessions along 6  months. Several nice trains were present ad the show -I posted randomly some of them. Thanks for your reply.

On 21/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, *thomas* said:

Just one word: AMAZING !!!

Well done, and nice to see some faces after eurobricks users / builders ! A massive thumbs up.

Thanks Thomas. I also agree that sometimes is nice to see the face behind an avatar.

On 21/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

This is simply awesome!!! :laugh::wub:

Thanks my dear fellow.

Edited by helos

On 22/3/2018 at 12:47 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow this is a GREAT SHOW!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Helos I love to see the Tre Cime di Lavaredo in real lego ...are they also in your avatar?

Thanks for credits and for the picture of the crew! :thumbup:

Yeah, I thiink a good show but unfortunately without your presence my dear fellow. Great picture wich collects many trains fan at once.

Regarding the avatar, that is shot to another mountain.

On 22/3/2018 at 1:14 AM, kieran said:

That must take some moving and setup, the whole thing looks great

Thanks Kieran

On 24/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, Man with a hat said:

Simply mindblowing. 

Amazing creation.  It's huge but fantastically doen.  Those train tunnel entrances are really nice. I like the detailing and variation. 

The portals are built in two different techniques. The archs in the  single portals are simply realized with a proper angle turn of the 2x2 tiles. The double portal arch required lots of  test for finding a proper bend of a brick pile to follow the shape obtained with slopes. The whole structure is built upside down then reversed onto the first rows of the base bricks. The two portals required nearly 8,000 pieces.

On 24/3/2018 at 4:50 PM, pirzyk said:

Wow!  How do you trasport it?  Does the mountain conform to MILS and is done that way?   I would love to see photos if any exists.

Really well done.

The mountain is divided into two main assembly: the green base and 3 monolite tops. The green base is built on modules of 2 baseplates each which make easy the  transportation of them. Unfortunately I do not have posted pictures anywhere. I’m currently abroad and can’t do this. I can only post this video of the placement. The 3 tops were originally placed on a support made out of Lego bricks and plates but we had to switch to a support made out of wood. The Lego pilons well support the static weight but if any pushes occur the Lego structure collapses. (if it doesn’t glued)

Wow, this is simply amazing! Any idea how many bricks are in this model? It passes the 100k I believe! This is the single most awesome thing I've ever seen built out of Lego. I lived a few years close to the dolomites and I always loved hiking and climbing there so maybe my view is a bit subjective, but still... Wow!

I have seen this wonderful opera at Model Expo Italian 2018 in Verona and I must say that it's a real masterpiece. 

By the way, many thank you for the picture with some of the best italian train builders : I am proud  to be one of that guys. :grin::grin::grin:

At minute 2.16 of the video - is that a model of  FS ALn 668 or it is a generic diesel railcar? (I ask because I LOVE the Aln668 and 663):wub:

On 28/3/2018 at 8:44 AM, AlmightyArjen said:

Wow, this is simply amazing! Any idea how many bricks are in this model? It passes the 100k I believe! This is the single most awesome thing I've ever seen built out of Lego. I lived a few years close to the dolomites and I always loved hiking and climbing there so maybe my view is a bit subjective, but still... Wow!

This creation required 105,000 pieces plus 8,000 pieces for the tunnel entrances. 

I can full understand your love for the Dolomites as I'm a climber too.  I think those wonders of our Earth astonish everyone at first sight, but as you did, 

be in a close touch with those unique sceneries  grows a special feeling inside you. That's why your subjective view.

On 28/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, Ex cinno said:

I have seen this wonderful opera at Model Expo Italian 2018 in Verona and I must say that it's a real masterpiece. 

By the way, many thank you for the picture with some of the best italian train builders : I am proud  to be one of that guys. :grin::grin::grin:

Your're a skilled moccer and this beautiful and huge fair offers the opportunity to be a great team of enthusiasts! Each presence is a value added.:classic:

On 28/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The video of the construction is really great!:wub:

funny with a too shortly final. We'll improve the next.:wink:

On 29/3/2018 at 4:36 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

At minute 2.16 of the video - is that a model of  FS ALn 668 or it is a generic diesel railcar? (I ask because I LOVE the Aln668 and 663):wub:

Hit the subject! The model is by Massimo Bmacro.

He realized it some years ago:

P1030014

His gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95725803@N07/

On 30/3/2018 at 6:45 AM, zephyr1934 said:

That is massive! Excellent work (all of the trains are great too)

Thanks Zephir! For the trains, great show thanks to an enthusiasts big team!:classic:

Edited by helos

On 24/3/2018 at 1:50 PM, pirzyk said:

Really well done.

I'm back home then gathered and  posted  here  some behind the scenes shots and some techniques used. 

Two modules I realized with a mountain shelter. Behind you can see a previous module for supporting the monolithic rocks. We swithched to a wood support for security reasons.

3clv8230.jpg

The solution I used for the arch of the double rail portal

3clv8224.jpg

The double portal built upside down for using a large combination of normal slopes which are easier and cheaper to find instead of the inverted ones. The slopes inverted  have also a lack of types.

3clv8226.jpg

great Project, like the video of Assembly, but most of all: the Trains that got the chance to finally run in a landscape that they deserve.

Thanks for sharing